HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Knee & Hip Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/)
-   -   dental treatment and antibiotics (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/683098-dental-treatment-antibiotics.html)

liverpool sue 03-31-2009 03:39 AM

dental treatment and antibiotics

i have today had a check-up at the dentist and am due to have rather invasive treatment in a couple of weeks, needing some cutting of the gum. i have been informed by my dentist that even for treatment such as this, the N.I.C.E. guidelines (national institute for clinical excellence which sets out medical guidelines here in england) state that antibiotics are no longer needed for any dental treatment for patients who in the past would have routinely been prescribed them (prosthetics, rheumatic fever, etc). it is now believed that dental treatment poses less of a risk of infection from bacteria than eating an apple.
i am very happy to go along with this current thinking as i believe there has been too much use of antibiotics in the past, and the less we now use, the better. i have never in fact been given anti-biotics for any dental treatment since my two hip ops, four and five years ago.
i thought i would share this information with you all and wonder what your thoughts are.
sue

Larimergirl 03-31-2009 08:40 AM

Re: dental treatment and antibiotics

Sue: That's interesting to know. I just went to my dentist for a checkup and cleaning and she said antibiotics definitely for the first year post surgery. (I'm at 8 months). I didn't ask her about any invasive procedures. I agree with you about too many antibiotics. I'll be happy when told not to take them--but too much of a chicken to go without until dentist says so....Maggie

Silver Swan 03-31-2009 08:46 AM

Hi Sue and Maggie:

I too went yesterday for my six month dental cleaning and exam, and my hygienist always asks if I have medicated. I had a hip replaced a year ago December. My dentist also gave me a new prescription of amoxicillin with 2 refills. I have a new appointment in 2 weeks to replace a couple of very old fillings.
No one has told me just how many years I will need to have an antibiotic for dental work. I assume it will be a few more years. I rarely need an antibiotic for anything other than the teeth, so hope I am not getting too much. I also eat plain yogurt with active enzymes every day and hope that will help replace the good intestinal bacteria.

Shirley H.

Larimergirl 03-31-2009 10:09 PM

Hi Shirley: Was wondering how you are doing. Have you decided to go ahead with the other hip replacement or are you still going to wait a bit? Maggie

Silver Swan 04-01-2009 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Larimergirl;3940754]Hi Shirley: Was wondering how you are doing. Have you decided to go ahead with the other hip replacement or are you still going to wait a bit? Maggie[/QUOTE]

Hi Maggie:

Yes, I am going to go ahead with the other hip replacement, but want to get completely recovered from GYN elective surgery I had just 3 weeks ago Monday. Everything went perfectly and no problems at all, but I do want to get to feeling more myself before embarking on the left hip replacement. ;)

What I dislike the most is having to sleep on my back for weeks after the hip is replaced. :(

How about you - are you going to have the other hip done one of these days?

Shirley H.

Larimergirl 04-03-2009 01:24 PM

I'm waiting till after I pass my one year anniversary to decide. I think I'd like to wait a bit longer. Family still isn't ready for another recovery effort...and neither is my boss at work. I'm focusing on getting back in shape, losing the weight I gained in last couple months before and after surgery. Keep us posted.

SpineAZ 04-03-2009 02:28 PM

I have metal in my spine (neck and back) and I (with my dentist's knowledge) do not take antibiotics with dental treatment. I have an agreement with him that if even the slightest sign of infection occurs he will then prescribe but given my various medical problems I avoid antibiotics to decrease my chances of being resistant to them when really needed.

grumpyme 04-04-2009 08:01 AM

hi
i just had my hip resurfaced (3/20/09) and when i went to hip class prior to surgery, my surgeon insisted antibiotics for any invasive procedure, including routine teeth cleaning for the rest of my life. he said he understands concerns about overuse of antibiotics but in the grand scheme of things its better to take antibiotics for a week than have to replace the hip due to infection caused by a dental procedure.