It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

artist26 HB User
Talking knee fusion

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who had knee fusion about your post op life. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to artist26:
marilynguilford (12-22-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
(male)

brhighfield HB User
Re: knee fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist26 View Post
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who had knee fusion about your post op life. Thanks.
I have a Knee Fusion and has been the worse experience of my life. I cannot go up or down stairs. I cannot dance. I cannot stand for very long. I cannot walk for any distance. My leg is 3/4 inches shorter which means that I must wear a built up shoe which makes me fall down frequently. I have to prop up my leg when sitting. And if it is your right leg, forget about driving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

mfdbosma HB User

Quote:
I had my left knee fused on March 24th this year. My left leg is 1-3/4" shorter than my right and so when I walk using a walker I limp. I was out driving yesterday and the only problem I seemed to have had was with the leg straight out under the dash it started to get tired and I nothing for it to rest on. I can only put 50% of my weight on this leg so recovery and strengthening will take a while. I have a chair in my kitchen to sit on and when I do up comes the leg. It is a problem trying to situate the leg from not banging into anything. Are you having any problems?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhighfield View Post
I have a Knee Fusion and has been the worse experience of my life. I cannot go up or down stairs. I cannot dance. I cannot stand for very long. I cannot walk for any distance. My leg is 3/4 inches shorter which means that I must wear a built up shoe which makes me fall down frequently. I have to prop up my leg when sitting. And if it is your right leg, forget about driving.
Dear brhighfield:
My late husband had hand controls on our various cars through the years. He had polio at age 17 and drove cars all his life. A hand control can be installed on any vehicle - there are rods attached to the brake and gas pedals to operate them with one hand. The other hand does the steering.

Hand controls can be added by a garage that services handicapped vehicles. You might have to consult the Yellow Pages and call around to see who does this. The cost is not prohibitive. The vehicle can still be driven in the usual way. I know because I often drove our vehicles through the years and had no problem driving it in the usual way. The hand controls present no problem for the usual driver driving the vehicle in the usual way.

Being able to drive is so freeing, so I hope that you will be able to get some hand controls and get back to driving a car.

Shirley H.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

mfdbosma HB User

I just had a left knee fusion done on March 24th and I must say I have no pain what so ever other than little flutters in the muscles and nerves. After a long time with an infection, fusion was my last resort. I still have to get use to the leg being straight but that will come with time. I have to purchase special shoes to help with the shortness from the left and right leg. If you need more info, just write me

mfdbosma

Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
(male)

needaknee HB User

mfdbosma:

Facing getting a left fused knee - I have a Chrysler mini van, I am not going to be able to get my leg in this car anymore. What do you drive? I'm about 6'-3" so I need a LOT of room to get my soon-to-be straight left leg in the car. I'm kind of old and I cannot get back up from a low-slung car, either - that's why I've driven vans and pick up trucks for many years.

I'm really concerned about being able to get out and be independent, and living in the country I have to have "wheels" or I'm screwed. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear needajknee:

After my first hip replacement, I had what is called a "leg lifter". I purchased this over the Internet. When leaving the rehab center, where i had been for 2 weeks (I live alone so my health care insurance sent me to this rehab place), I backed into my grand daughter's SUV and sat down on the seat. I then used the leg lifter to get my operated leg into the SUV. It worked very well.

I wonder if this would work with your leg straight from the fused knee? The leg lifter gadget is very light and easy to operate with one hand and it does the job easily.

What do others here think?

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 09-03-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
(male)

brhighfield HB User
Post Re: knee fusion

My postop life has been a nightmare. I have a rod from my hip to my ankle. My leg will not bend which makes driving an automobile a hard thing to do.
I am in pain 24/7. I have to prop my leg on chair when sitting. I cannot stand up for more than a couple minutes without severe pain. I use a walker.

If I had it to do over, I would say no!

I do not want to bore you with any more negatives. If you want to hear more answer this post and I will tell you the rest of the story.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
(male)

brhighfield HB User

Ditto ditto, me too.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
(female)

mfdbosma HB User

Quote:
Hi, For over 20 years I have had knee pain and after having a knee replacement in 2008 which failed my left knee was fused March 2010. I have no pain as I did before and the recovery is going slow but progressing at the pace that is expected. Right now I am able to walk with a cane and not a walker, all though I use the walker in my home for I don's wear my shoes there so the shortness of the leg requires that I walk with a major limp, hence the need of the walker. My ortho doctor told me it will be a good year before I can put 100% weight on my left leg. Having to learn how to walk all over again with at first was hard but now each session in PT gets better. If you have any other concerns or questions, do not hesitate to write me.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
(male)

brhighfield HB User

I drive a Toyota Tundra, but I am only 5'10" tall. You might check out some older Ford PU.

If I had it to do over, my answer no way!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
(male)

brhighfield HB User

Your symptoms are the same as mine.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
(male)

noscirebob HB User
Wink Re: knee fusion

Right leg. Had left foot acelerator installed in Toyota Sienna. Carry tripod camping stool for seats in meetings (leg support). Have kid's wagon to carry groceries from door to kitchen. Happy they call me gimpy, not stumpy.

Closed Thread