It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Bursectomy, has anyone had this surgery?

Hi Everyone, I have hip bursitis in both hips and I have exhausted most of the treatments. My ortho doc wants to give me more cortizone injections but I cannot tolerate them anymore, to many side effects. I also have severe osteoporosis. He said all that I have left is surgery, a bursectomy, somehow I feel there must be some other options for me. I would appreciate it if you would be so kind to let me know if you have any experience with this type of surgery, or success in treating hip bursitis with other alternatives. I am open to all suggestions at this point. Thank you so much!!!!!!! Blessings!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mrbojangle HB User
Re: Bursectomy, has anyone had this surgery?

Hi Wildflowers:
I am being treated for Trochanteric bursitis right now after total hip replacement last year, this can often be treated successfully without surgery. There are stretching and strengthening excercise programs along with a brief course of anti-inflammatory medications which will usually resolve the problem(this is what my doctor has recommended, I am not to that point as yet) but am doing a series of excersises to help strengthen the large muscle which goes over the bump on the outer edge of your hip bone. I am noticing some relief of pain, but still feel like I'm sitting on a tennis ball. My next appointment is May 16th, so I will continue with these exercises until then.
My doctor is very conservative and will recommend surgery only when everything else has been tried.

So my advice to you would be to submit to surgery only after all options have been tried.

There are many web sites to take a look at: just type in "Trochanteric Bursitis of the hip" and take your pick!!

The best of luck to you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Re: Bursectomy, has anyone had this surgery?

Thank you mrbojangle, your information was received with a grateful heart. I do not want to have surgery, I am recovering after back surgery and it has been a long recovery period. It seems when they fix one part of the body a whole new bunch of diagnoseses pop up. I will talk with my ortho doc about the exercises, it has been so painful and exercising sounded so brutal right now. However, I do know from life experiences that what we tend to not want to do is exactly what we need to do. Take care, many blessings and good health to you and your family. Wildflowers

Closed Thread