It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

paonce HB User
Unhappy 33 years old overweight and getting Hip Replacement - please advise

Anyone had it done? I am nervous and its scheduled for June 16, 2009. I am overwieght but the mobility is so limited that I feel that there is no other choice at this time. I have tried different medication but nothing works (well one did because it gave me such severe stomach cramps I did not focus on my hip). I am 60 pounds over my weight. Anyone out there had this done and what was the experience and how is it now. I have gone to 3 drs all say it is inevitablly needs to get done but the surgeon who is going to do the surgery says it is up to me but the quality of life I am living now is not fair to me or my 4 year old son. I starting walking with a cane, it hurts to sit, to get up, to drive etc. so confused because my general doctor is not fond of me getting it done so young and overweight. I have had hip dysplasia (well not sure since when) but it was discovered in 1998.
. . . . . . . . . .

Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
(female)

bossygirl HB User
Re: 33 years old overweight and getting Hip Replacement - please advise

Hi There,
I am 50 and overweight and had my right hip replaced almost 7 weeks now. If I may recommend anything, try to drop a few pounds now and try to exercise to strengthen your core muscles. After the operation, is very hard the first while getting around with the walker. It will be a HUGE improvement in your quality of life after you have it done, no matter what your age. It is very hard for awhile but will be worth it in the end. My life and mobility were very limited as well but I know when I recover fully, things will be so much better. After the surgery, make sure to do all your exercises religiously to strengthen your leg and hip. This board is a wonderful resource also. You will need help out of hospital if you don't go to a rehab. Good luck and look at the end result!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

WindieOne HB User

I too just had my hip done, my surgery was 6 weeks ago today. I am 52, somewhat overweight, and like you, I was concerned about that - my doctor said my being overweight was not a problem. Although I had a Birmingham resurfacing instead of a total hip replacement, the surgery went great and recovery has been much faster than I expected .

I agree with BossyGirl that starting some exercises now will be helpful after the surgery . For me, even though I was exercising before the surgery, I wish my arms had been much stronger because, after the surgery, you need your arms even more than ever to support you and to get out of chairs, out of bed, off the toilet, push the walker, etc.

There are a lot of good postings here on this message board with helpful information about what to expect and items you will want to have on hand after the surgery - spend some time going through the postings, you'll be glad you did. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

Starshines HB User

Hey there!

I am 36 and just had my replacement done exactly one week ago today and I understand the pain you describe. I too have hip dysplasia and I had the surgeries for it as a kid which was to help and I guess it did but the inevitability that I would need the replacement rang true. I am about 40 pounds overweight and having a "bad leg" can greatly attribute to the weight gain. I wouldn't let your weight stop you. Especially since you have a young child at home, this will dramatically change your quality of life not to mention that of your child.

In recovering, considering what was just done to my hip, I am not doing bad at all. I am a bit anemic and I think that has a lot to do with how I feel today but that's nausea and weakness. The hip itself is kind of "sore" but the pain is way different than what I had before and it is the kind of pain that you know is going to improve so it is very exciting.

June 16th is coming up soon! I almost had to wait until that date to do mine but thankfully my work is very supportive and they didn't want me to have to wait so long only to physically be at our user's conference which starts tomorrow.

If you are able to strengthen your core before surgery...all the better. But for me I was not able to do that because I had such severe pain and I had been walking with a cane for about 3 months already and I could only basically work and come home. But I am already able to sit up fully upright, do all my exercises, lift my "new leg" and get around. If you can do anything I would strengthen your arms to help you with getting up and around. My palms on my hands especially my left hurt from getting up so much and using the walker. That pain is nothing in comparison to the pain your dealing with today. If your pain is already so bad, then you will notice the difference in the pain immediately when they first get you up after surgery.

Hip replacement is really a good thing. If you have the ability to get it done now, why wait? I read so many articles about people's only regret was not getting it done sooner. If your head is in the right place, you can do anything and do well with this surgery.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision. The sooner the better if you know for certain there is no way around getting this done. For hip dysplasia, you are right on time for the replacement so not sure how much homework your doctor has done on your condition. My child doctor told me about having to need to do this in my mid-thirties over 20 years ago! If I had a better HMO I would've had mine done sooner but then I didn't have all the support and help then either so everything happens for a reason.

Take care!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
(female)

Dstewartfl HB User

How did your surgery go? We are trying to locate a surgeon who will do the surgery on my husband who is overweight. Two surgeons said he needs it, but will not until he loses the weight. They send him to pain mgmt which only dopes him up...they don't take into consideration the massive pain, depression, financial loss, etc, that this causes. I am looking all over the internet for a FL facility or surgeon who will consider doing it. Any advice would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dstewartfl For This Useful Post:
Bigozzie9er (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
(male)

Bigozzie9er HB User

Hello, I ran across your post and was wondering if your husband ever found a doctor that would perform his surgery? I'm having the same problem with my doctor.. He recommends me dropping weight, but without mobility it's really hard.. I've been out of work for three months and with no programs available to help me financially.. I don't have alot of time to waste. Please reply on your findings and goodluck. Bigozzie9er

Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

Dstewartfl HB User

Yes! Six months ago his surgery was done! He has had no complications and is back to truck driving. He is amazed daily at the freedom he has. He was also off work three months before the surgery....on a walker and loaded up with pain meds. That's no way to live. The surgeons these days would prefer to do smaller people as it doesn't take as long. That is shameful because the financial effects can be irrecoverable. In fact, we are still recovering, since he lost his job while he was out. It is impossible to get within a desireable weight range when your body has become inactive. I will tell you this, I credit our surgeon with saving his life, because he was ready to end it! My advice....carefully follow the hip precautions, keep the surgical are dry and clean, and follow the Phys, therapists instructions, you will do fine! We have our lives back and you will have yours too! Good luck and contact me if I can help!
Dawn

The Following User Says Thank You to Dstewartfl For This Useful Post:
Bigozzie9er (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
(male)

Bigozzie9er HB User

Dawn, Thank you for the reply.. I'm glad that your husband is doing well after surgery. One thing that I do have is the support of my work place.. Even though I've been out for 3 month they still are behind me. I work in a restaurant and I guess I'm pretty good at what I do because they can't seem to replace me.. The doctor I have did my brothers hips (2).. The only thing is my brother is 7 years younger and 130lbs lighter.. but all is good with him.. that's why I want to stick with him. I know exactly what your husband was thinking when you stated that the doc saved his life..I usually don't give up on things, so I just stay positive.. When depression sits in it's tough.. It's hard when you provide for a family then all of a sudden you can't. To beat it all there is no programs to help with the bills that keep coming in. I think I need to just tell doctor lets do this and take my chances. I really thank you for responding and as coincidence has it my wife's name is Dawn. Take care and god bless. Ozzie

Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
(female)

Dstewartfl HB User

There is light at the end of the tunnel since you have a surgery date! But unfortunately, there are no programs to assist with the finances. In our case, we have a small disability policy...actually equals one week pay, but, it was something. We had to consider social security when we could not find a surgeon...that meant at least 2 years with zero income. Dont forget to look at things within in your credit called credit disability insurance. You may have signed up for it when you financed your home or car, or, you may have it on a credit card. This insurance, if you have it, will cover the payments on that particular debt. That means, one less thing to worry about. I went back to work full time during this process to keep food on the table, and, thank God for family - as they have helped us get through it. One little note, my husband DID lose 30 lbs on weight watchers in a 3 mth period. The docs were telling him to lose a min of 100. Obviously, you know how hard that is, how long it takes, and, can you physically and mentally hold out that long. I'm glad you have a surgeon that will do it for you. You are still in your prime income producing years, and you will be able to get back to it. You will be abe to get back to living again and enjoy family time again. And think, no more meds! His happiest moment was shortly after coming home from surgery, he wasnt taking pain meds! There was pain meds, nerve/anti deppressant meds, bp, etc. Now, he is only on his bp pill. Thats it! Oh, one other piece of advice, make sure you are given some type of stool softner before going home. Sounds silly now, but do it. After the surgery, in the hospital, he had no more hip pain...it was mainly the incision area. This experience also puts life into perspective. I cant say enough about it...when you are 33 years old, or 45...you have too much life left to waste being in this much pain and physically limited to your home.

I dont come back to the boards too often anymore only because I am working FT and don't have much computer time, but, I hope you will send me a note letting me know how well it went for you. FOLLOWING THOSE HIP PRECAUTIONS = SUCCESS! Good luck! Dawn

Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
(male)

Searfass HB User

After reading these posts, I am tempted to make an appointment at an ortho and have a hip MRI again. 2 years ago was my last MRI, and it showed missing cartilage that was prevalent since birth. I felt totally normal till my late 20s though. Then it was loss of balance at first, which gradually lead to loss of mobility. Right now, I spend countless hours researching supplements that will help me regain my mobility. I spend a good portion of my income on pills that are promised to help. I did find however, that some forms of glucosamine do help, but then due to my diabetes, the glucosamine throws it out of whack! I'm 32 and I feel like my youth has been stolen from me; I feel like an elderly person trapped in a 32 year old's body. All I do is go to work and come right home. That is all I really can do.

I can still function right now, but I fear for the future. This "curse" inflicts alot of members of my mother's family. When she was in her late 20's, she lost her balance and eventually wound up in a wheelchair. Her sister walks with a cane, her brother with a walker, and her mother was wheelchair bound. I already have the deck stacked against me health-wise, and adding yet another condition would be the end of me!

The following user gives a hug of support to Searfass:
SweetPeainSF (06-07-2012)
Closed Thread