It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

Javonka HB User
Orthroscopic knee surgery and recovery

I had orthroscopic knee surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. My recovery has been going well. I can bend my knee and walk without the aid of crutches or my cane. Yesterday, I stood up and my knee popped and pain shot up my leg. As I began to walk, my knee locked in place and I had to shake it loose. I was unable to put weight on the knee. I went to the doctor today and he said that the pain and locking was caused by bursitis and prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug. Has anyone else experienced knee locking after surgery? I thought knee lock occurred when the meniscus was torn, but mine was repaired during surgery. He has also ordered physical therapy. I was previously doing my own therapy at home, however, I did not regain full extension of the leg. I am afraid of going to physical therapy with this knee locking in place. Has anyone else had any of these experiences?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Orthroscopic knee surgery and recovery

There is a very high possiblity of re-tearing a meniscus that has been repaired in the first 6+weeks after surgery. Your doc is really hoping you didn't. Bursitis can cause a tendon to not function properly and sometimes not at all and that could lock up a knee.

Do the PT and take the meds. If it is bursitis causing a tendon not to move, a cortisone shot should help and may be the next thing. You need to wait a while after surgery to have a cortisone shot as it affects healing. If nothing helps, then you know you might have re-tron the meniscus. I hope not for your sake. The more they scope, the faster osteoarthritis sets in.

good luck..................Jenny(14 knee surgeries)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

Javonka HB User
Re: Orthroscopic knee surgery and recovery

Jenny, thanks for your help. I did have the coritzone shot. I could not tolerate the pain. I gave been going to PT for 2 weeks now and my knee is functioning much better. The clicking is still there and my doc says that the click may never go away. I guess I can live with the clicking much better than I can live with the pain. Hoping to be back to 100% mobility within the next couple of months.

Closed Thread