It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Feeling depressed 8 weeks post THR

I liked using the cane because it was a visible sign to others that I needed some space and some consideration in crowds. Didn't really need it after 8 weeks but used it when taking long walks or when I would be in big crowds. I still sometimes use it when I'm going to the dog park--not because I need it to walk, but because other hip is now sometimes painful and more often because big dogs love to jump on me. The cane gives the other dog owners the visible sign that they need to watch their dogs around me and it gives me support as I can plant it when the inevitable dog does jump. Maggie

Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear bossygirl and windieone:

Please keep using your canes as long as you feel the need of that added security and assistance in walking.

Think of how awful it would be if you would happen to stumble and fall without the cane, and end up in the hospital again with injuries of some kind.

It isn't worth taking a chance if you still feel your balance is something less than perfect.

Use your cane with pride.
You have had the courage to undertake serious surgery.

Medals should be issued!

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(male)

keil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB Userkeil HB User

I do the same thing, my Doc suggested it before I returned to work, using public transportation in NYC
Ken

Old 05-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
(female)

profmaple HB User

Thank you Ken and everyone else. I guess because I seemed to recover so quickly from surgery, I thought that I would walk quickly, unassisted, without a cane. I will continue to use it until I don't need it and I will try to stop complaining. There are many worse things in life than recovering from hip surgery!!! Everyone take care.
Profmaple

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I just wanted to add, when I switched from the cane to a walker I felt much better and not so tired as with the cane. I am not sure why, but the cane seemed harder on my body then using a walker and I stood straighter also.
I hope things will get better for you soon. Do you have a pool you can walk in, that really helps you out or a ymca possibly if not. Good luck to you and don't worry about workers, like someone said...have em watch the surgery and then talk...Lol luck to you... things will only get better...

Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12 View Post
I just wanted to add, when I switched from the cane to a walker I felt much better and not so tired as with the cane. I am not sure why, but the cane seemed harder on my body then using a walker and I stood straighter also.
I hope things will get better for you soon. Do you have a pool you can walk in, that really helps you out or a ymca possibly if not. Good luck to you and don't worry about workers, like someone said...have em watch the surgery and then talk...Lol luck to you... things will only get better...
Sunshine12:

I so agree with you about the walker being more supportive than a cane. Also one can stand straighter using a walker and there is not the tendency to lean like there is when using a cane. I found I could zip along with the walker - mine of course has wheels on the front and I put lovely pink tennis balls on the back legs - easier on the wood flooring that we have in our home.

I loved my walker, and I was always one who hated the idea of using a walker, thinking it was "old people stuff".

Shirley H.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Right, the walker gives your body the advantage of standing up streight!
Well as for me... I go in for a TKR on 6/12/09. I think I am ready LOL...
I have other incentives to the rehab too, I want or have to loose weight and our daughter is getting married on teh fall of 2010. I want to be able to walk her down teh aisle without a cane!
wish me luck, I will be on the board maybe next week before surgury but may be off for a couple weeks as I hope to gofrom teh hospital to a rehab place for as long as they will keep me!
Ken

Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear Father of the Bride:

It sounds to me like you may well be able to walk your daughter down the aisle for her wedding in the fall of 2010 without using a cane. But even if you have to use the cane -so what? I have seen Fathers of the Bride using a w.chair to accompany her down the aisle. The important thing is that you will be there.

I do hope that you can be in a rehab facility for a couple of weeks. Those Physical Therpists work you hard twice a day but they perform wonders. Faithful exercises for about two weeks - accompanied and followed by LOTS OF WALKING really improve one's gait.

Shirley H.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Shirley,
this board is great, I have been on it since my first opperation in March 2000, I fell and broke the ball off the femur. Then they did an ORIF (open reduction something) and had a pin & bar in the hip then arthritis set in and I needed a new hip and same for the knee.
Thanks and talk soon,
Ken

Old 06-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keil View Post
Thanks Shirley,
this board is great, I have been on it since my first opperation in March 2000, I fell and broke the ball off the femur. Then they did an ORIF (open reduction something) and had a pin & bar in the hip then arthritis set in and I needed a new hip and same for the knee.
Thanks and talk soon,
Ken

Hi Ken:

I read through all the 6-month hip replacements posts before I went in the hospital to have my hip replacement. While I waded through those, I also followed the current postings. I felt very thankful to those first posters. Doctors don't tell us all the everyday things we need to know to cope with hip replacement.

Shirley H.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(male)

That's for sure... like when I had the THR they didn't mention the possibility that I would NOT be able to pick up the operated leg for a day or two! Wow did that scare me and my wife.
Talk soon,
Ken

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #27
(female)

antelyn77 HB User

Dont worry. my experience, and I am now six months out of bilateral TKR is that it is very diffiuclt for the first three months...it continues to be painful. . which can naturally result in feeling 'down' and blue. Also known side effects of the pain meds themselves include "emotional lability" which translated fo rme to depresion, crying and anxiety.
The good side is that now my knees do feel and perform better than pre-surgery...its just a long haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossygirl View Post
I know I have been impatient but I truly thought by this time I would be walking on my own without pain and able to be more mobile. I am using one cane but I cannot go too far as the pain and the strain is too much and I am wiped out for rest of day and have to take some pain medication. What is the normal time to be able to walk properly without cane? Seems some people here are able to get back to normal quickly and some takes much longer. I am tired of being inside and not able to resume a normal life. I go back to work in 3 weeks so have beeen lucky to be off and am thankful for the recovery time but I am starting to fall into a bad way. Normally I am cheerful and optimistic but last few days I just cannot shake these feelings of frustration, sadness and distress. People don't seem to understand, at work I think they feel you are just off relaxing and taking it easy. I hope this passes soon, maybe it's hormones...who knows??

Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, I go in for the TKR tomorrow 6/12/09... I have faith in my Doc and God!
I will be back on the board once I can get to the computer.
Ken

Old 06-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keil View Post
Thanks, I go in for the TKR tomorrow 6/12/09... I have faith in my Doc and God!
I will be back on the board once I can get to the computer.
Ken

Hi Ken:

You may not read this till you get back to the computer after your TKR, but I am wishing you a good experience for your surgery today.

We will be looking foward to your return to the board.

Shirley H.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #30
(female)

bossygirl HB User

I do hope all went well for you Ken with your operation. You mentioned about not being able to raise your leg after operation for couple days. Me too and it was scary, felt like a thousand pounds and was hard to get to the bathroom.
I am almost 11 weeks now post THR, I have been doing too much walking and standing on legs and things and maybe not enough strengthening exercises as I am usually too tired then. The last few days I have had terrible pain in and around the new hip and buttock. Do you guys think too much walking and moving is the wrong thing? I have overdone it but I am not one to sit still. I am still using the cane and that has been hard also on my hand, shoulder and too much leaning. I had rented the walker so that went back after a month as I was advised to do. I am a bit concerned, also I cannot seem to get a good night's sleep since the operation. I usually sleep on my side and twist and turn alot and I find discomfort and can't seem to settle down. I don't want to take sleeping pills as I already usually take half a Percocet at night for pain. I go back to work on Monday, 4 hours a day for first week and is all sitting, plus about a 10 minute walk each way to subway to get there. I feel a bit anxious but sure this is normal. I have appreciated all the information and advice from people here so please let me know what you think.

Closed Thread