It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

lucybooz HB User
please...need advice re hip problems

about 8 months ago i was told that hip replacement was in my future. the doctor told me to hold off as long as i could because if i would need a 2nd replacement it was very difficult. i guess what he meant was that he would like the hip replacement to outlive me!!!!! i'm 63 now. i'm a waitress, and oddly enough my hip does NOT bother me when i'm working. there are regular things that are uncomfortable, but i can manage those things. my biggest problem is sleeping!!!!! i don't know when i slept the entire night last. i can fall asleep but about 2-3 hrs. into the night i get up and i'm hurting pretty bad - my pain is in the groin area, which i was told was "normal" for hip problems. don't quite understand that but i guess the doctor knows what he's talking about. i toss and turn, put pillows under my leg, hip, etc. by morning i'm not only hurting in the hip (groin) but i've got a stiff neck and usually a headache from trying to puff the pillows, etc. just to find some comfort to fall back to sleep. when it gets really bad i go on the recliner, which seems to be rather comfortable after bending your leg just right, etc. however, there is nothing like falling asleep in your own king-sized bed!!!!!

my question is this: is this normal for hip problems, will there be MORE problems, or will i have to just decide when i can't stand NOT sleeping soundly anymore and just bite the bullet and get the surgery.

does this sound "COMMON" for hip replacement candidates as the type of problem experienced, or is there more to come? i'm really getting irritable, not sleeping soundly night after night. the nurse recommended 4 advil about 1 hr. before bedtime. i've done that for over a week but still have problems. the doctor won't give me regular "pain" meds fearing addiction i guess. i take ultracet on a daily basis (2/day) so as to work my job in comfort (i have back problems as well).

anyone.....please advise me in any way, shape, or form.

i dread the recovery time involved with this surgery, but i guess i must do what i must do. i'm just wondering if i should wait until things get "worse", and HOW MUCH WORSE can they get?

thanks, lucy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: please...need advice re hip problems

Hi Lucy,
I hate to tell you but it wil only get worse with time. I am 63 and had my one hip done last May. It was wonderful to be out of pain finally and sleep again. I was hurting so bad it was terrible. And yes the groin hurts, you can't sleep good cause everytime you move it hurts. I used a comforter to put my leg on and that was better then a pillow.
I have to have my other hip done too and just taking care of some teeth problems first.
My surgery went perfectly and I was sorry I waited so long as I was scared to death to have it done. But after a year of being in a wheel chair I was real happy to be up and out of pain. Now the other hip hurts but not as bad, I try not to irritate it to much by walking so much as I know my surgery is a ways off.
Get it done and then have the other one done too. I wish you lots of luck, and get a doc who does it all the time.....I was walking on my new hip the next week. It was wonderful...
Sunshine

Last edited by sunshine12; 06-05-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
(female)

lucybooz HB User

thanks for the info sunshine. were you in a wheelchair due to the pain in your hip? wow!!!!! i'm sure it was HEAVENLY to be pain free after an ordeal like that. i'm not nearly that bad, but i guess, like you said, it will only get worse. the best of luck to you.

i will try the comforter - thanks!!!!!

lucy

Old 06-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

bug1 HB User

Lucy,

I had my hip replaced in February and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself!! I am only 47 but had really bad arthritis and hip spurs. I was back at work and in the gym at four weeks. I have absoluely NO pain. It is wonderful.

My doc said if I take care of it (no high impact aerobics, running, etc) then I could get 15 - 20 years out of it. That's what I am hoping for.

I feel like a new person. Hope all goes well with you in making your decision.

Kim

Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
(male)

darren melton HB User
Smile Re: please...need advice re hip problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybooz View Post
about 8 months ago i was told that hip replacement was in my future. the doctor told me to hold off as long as i could because if i would need a 2nd replacement it was very difficult. i guess what he meant was that he would like the hip replacement to outlive me!!!!! i'm 63 now. i'm a waitress, and oddly enough my hip does NOT bother me when i'm working. there are regular things that are uncomfortable, but i can manage those things. my biggest problem is sleeping!!!!! i don't know when i slept the entire night last. i can fall asleep but about 2-3 hrs. into the night i get up and i'm hurting pretty bad - my pain is in the groin area, which i was told was "normal" for hip problems. don't quite understand that but i guess the doctor knows what he's talking about. i toss and turn, put pillows under my leg, hip, etc. by morning i'm not only hurting in the hip (groin) but i've got a stiff neck and usually a headache from trying to puff the pillows, etc. just to find some comfort to fall back to sleep. when it gets really bad i go on the recliner, which seems to be rather comfortable after bending your leg just right, etc. however, there is nothing like falling asleep in your own king-sized bed!!!!!

my question is this: is this normal for hip problems, will there be MORE problems, or will i have to just decide when i can't stand NOT sleeping soundly anymore and just bite the bullet and get the surgery.

does this sound "COMMON" for hip replacement candidates as the type of problem experienced, or is there more to come? i'm really getting irritable, not sleeping soundly night after night. the nurse recommended 4 advil about 1 hr. before bedtime. i've done that for over a week but still have problems. the doctor won't give me regular "pain" meds fearing addiction i guess. i take ultracet on a daily basis (2/day) so as to work my job in comfort (i have back problems as well).

anyone.....please advise me in any way, shape, or form.

i dread the recovery time involved with this surgery, but i guess i must do what i must do. i'm just wondering if i should wait until things get "worse", and HOW MUCH WORSE can they get?

thanks, lucy
hi lucy you are 63. what are you waiting for i had my hip replaced at 43, no more pain, sleep is great. it was the best decision i have ever made. i was told to prolong it, but why? quality of life is what you are after

Old 06-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

SamMatthews HB User

Hi there! I know how bad hip pain can be. My rheumatologist has suggested something called stem cell replacement therapy (BMAC). This works great if you still have cartilage in your hip. It's a very successful procedure and is done right in the office!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
(male)

michaelbteam HB User
Thumbs up direct anterior THR, only way to go-my story

I am a 62 year old ski instructor and physical outdoor type person who realized two years ago that my right hip was deteriorating. I had the x-rays that confirmed osteo-arthritis, the cartilage in the hip was disappearing. Like many people I just dealt with it, took more anti-inflammatories, limped a little more often. Ironically it felt "better" when I was most active, like skiing aggressively over 100 days each winter at Snowbird. This winter I really "jammed" my hip a few times early in the season and experienced a different level of pain altogether, and began to realize that a hip replacement was in my future, the only questions being when and how.
To begin with, one of the main comments I heard from total hip recipients was that they wished they had acted sooner. I felt I could "get by" for another year or two, and as I confronted my situation I knew I should just "DO IT!"
Thorough research yielded sometimes conflicting information, and as I learned to ask the right questions I got more specific answers.
Like anyone else I was interested in the least invasive procedure that would lead to an easier recovery and best results. At my age I was not the best candidate for hip resurfacing, since in my opinion the latest total hip technology would likely last out my lifetime, and resurfacing seems almost guaranteed to lead to a revision, perhaps sooner than later. If I can do this only once I prefer that option.
In looking at the "total hip" options it seemed that for my lifestyle that metal on metal was most appropriate, 36 mm. cobalt chromium. I considered the 46 mm. option but there may be some premature wear issues with that size, leading to tissue degeneration.
Surgical approach was my main concern, and I learned that the "direct anterior" approach was definitely the least invasive of all the so-called "minimally invasive" techniques.
The surgeon I initially contacted in Salt Lake City seemed to offer this approach, but I learned later that his is the "anterio-lateral" which involves cutting more supportive and connective tissue.
To make this long story short, I went to St. Mark's Hospital in SLC, where surgeons have been performing the DIRECT anterior approach for at least three years, I believe, with the Hana table which allows precise manipulation of the leg to access the hip joint, and permits low level x-ray during the procedure to assist in more precise results.
Ten days ago I received my new hip by Dr. Peter Novak via a 4 inch incision down the front of my thigh which is closed with 13 staples. I spent ONE night in the hospital, not necessarily normal but I felt good enough to go home and my doctor kindly consented. TWO days later I was walking with ski poles and also decided to drive since I could get my leg in and out of the car without discomfort. I have NO restrictions on weight bearing or range of motion although PAIN is certainly my guide and I am being most conservative about my activity levels since major healing is occuring and I certainly do not want to compromise the healing process. A good night's sleep and plenty of rest in between is important, and I need some meds to sleep through the night since my entire leg cramps up a bit. I can sleep in any position, even on my stomach.
Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, since I have traveled the road you may be contemplating and so far have expereinced spectacular results, much better than actually forecast or expected.
Good Luck!
Please feel free to e-mail me.-* email address and/or contact information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-25-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, such as email address, or phone number, per Posting Policy.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
(female)

12811sharski HB User
Re: direct anterior THR, only way to go-my story

u r so fortunate i had a total hip done last year and have had problems ever since, it was improperly installed iam certain and the doctors are passing the buck so to speak. i thought i was getting the smae type of proceedure u were but did not i got the lateral, anyway it is nice to read a good result

Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
(female)

esined HB User

hi lucy, i had my hip op thr ten years ago and im familiar with your symptoms. im afraid this is just the beginning and your mobility will get much worse. the pain tends to come after exercise that is why you are having pain at the end of the day. you will find that the pain will go from the lower back right down into the knee and ankle at least it did with me. in the end i was unable to sit for more than 15 mins without having to get up otherwise i would lock up and i couldnt stand for long. in the end i couldnt drive because i had to keep stopping to get out and stretch my legs. as your 63 and hips are improving all the time you could possibly get 20 yrs if you can leave it long enough. i would try and keep mobile and take the pain relief because once you have the new hip youll be a new woman.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
(female)

SamMatthews HB User

Have you heard of a procedure called BMAC for your hip. Way better than a hip replacement.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
(female)

Pnk7 HB User

Hi Lucy,
I would like to give you some words of encouragement regarding your hip problem.
I received my first hip at age 30 due to a bone loss from pregnacy and an accident which cracked the ball of my hip while I was still pregnant. This was an unheard of condition at that time. This silent condition called transient osteoporosis caused my whole life to become a disaster. After an emergency "C section" and 3 failed pin surgeries, I lost an inch off my right leg. I had the hip replacement in September of 1988 which put the inch back, worked to get rid of the pain and disablility and gave me back my life.

This hip was cementless and I was with the head of University of Penn Orthopedics. This hip had 5 years of data at the time and is the type of hip that paved the way for todays hip replacements.

I needed to take a chance to get my life back, raise my children and get back to being independent.
The hips today have so much success. Do yours homework, go to the best people, get referrals from those who have gone through successful hip surgery and get your life back. You will have a very normal quality of life and there is much on your side.

On September 18, 2009 I had a hip revision at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia. I am in the process of recovery. Everyone was amazed that my original hip lasted 21 years. I am looking forward to getting my life back again.
I hope you find encouragement in my story that you can get rid of the pain and live a normal life at 63.
Just one more thought... my Mom had a successful hip replacement last November at the age of 75!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
(male)

Daspydyr HB User

That was very similar to my experience. I was trying out new matresses and bought a new $1,000 chair for work. Getting comfortable and sleeping was impossible.

I am 55 and am post op 1 year right now. I sleep like a baby, don't toss and turn. I use a pillow between my knees and that just adds an extra touch of comfort. For the last two weeks I installed laminate flooring in the house. I could have never done that in the past 5 years. Don't put it off. Hopefully there will be even more improvments in hip technology in the next 20 years.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
(female)

fibrogirlz HB User

any one had thr and still had pain in their groin after the surgery?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
(female)

12811sharski HB User

i have had three thr so there is not much i have not experienced, please feel free to ask me anyting

Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
(male)

michaelbteam HB User

Total hip replacement update: On June 15th, 2009, I had a total hip via direct anterior approach by Dr. Novak at St. Mark's in Salt Lake City. Less than six months later in November 2009 I began alpine skiing again since I was a ski instructor at Snowbird, Utah. I have skied VIGOROUSLY for at least 50 days so far, and am very happy with the way my new hip feels and functions.
If you are feeling cranky and old because of a degenerating hip, get a new one now and experience a new life! Direct anterior the only way to go, I was one night in the hospital and walking and driving two days later, with no restrictions on weight bearing and range of motion. Go for it!

Closed Thread