It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
(male)

joewiggs32 HB User
Internal Knee Derangement/ Synovitis

Hello all! I have a knee problem and I need a little clarity. I injured my knee at work, once in June and then again in December. The first time I banged it and twisted on the floor breaking up a fight . I did the same the 2nd time. I went to the urgent care and she said I had some swelling and such and to consult an orthropedic doctor. My kneee felt fine a couple days later so I did not do anythin. My second I went out for three days of work bu pain went away. Finally after a few months of on and off pain in my knee I went to the Orthro. I was getting sharp pain , stiffness, lots of poppin in my knee. I saw him 1st time which he wanted me to get an MRI done. I did and he said there was no tears. I then did p.t. which only caused pain afterwards. He diagnosed me with internal knee derangemnt / synovitis. My knee hurst when I am drinving , walking for extented period of time as well as sitting. I can do things but I know afterwards I am going to feel the pain. I have some fluid in knee with swelling the told me . Finally, he gave me an injection because the apin was too frequent and would not go away as I told him. I believe it was cortizone. That crap hurt for 2 days but then my pain went away. I was so happy , I thought this was the end but people told me it was oinly a temp fix sometimes it works totally . Wel to my dismay, this shot ran out and now my knee is hurting again and it feels worse. He aslo gave me a phamplet on synoy therapy. I guess when I go back to him on the 30 he wants to inject me with .. i think 4 shots . one every week. What is all of this? Is ths leading to surgery? I would rather take those pain shots and be done with everything. Oh, MRI was negitive for tears he told me. Pleas help!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I am only 32 years of age is this too young for this type of treatment. I was just want to lose this pain

Last edited by joewiggs32; 06-22-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Internal Knee Derangement/ Synovitis

Hi Joe...I'm Jenny. I've had 14 knee surgeries....5 by the time I was your age.

A "deranged knee"(sounds like it's gone crazy doesn't it)is basically a knee that has developed plain old osteoarthritis and inflammation of the lining of the joint. There is nothing that he can fix like a torn meniscus or ACL. Your knee has been abused enough that the joint surfaces are starting to flake off. That is what causes all those noises and pops and pain. They used to call them "joint mice" but I'd swear I had some the size of good fat squirrel.

On cortisone shots.....yes they can hurt like he!! for a couple of days but the key to getting them to work is to try to not do anything for 10 days...the length of time the drug is active in the joint. If you can do that, it works much better. Next time ask for a doc's note to keep you out of work longer.

The stuff he wants to inject in your knee is great stuff. There are several types and you could have a bad reaction to one and not the other so if it gets worse, don't give up. There used to be only 2 and one worked for me, the other caused my knee to swell up like a watermelon. They are artificial joint fluids. The theory as to why they work is that when you get arthritis, the fluid in the joint gets thin and acidic. By replacing it with thick and ph balanced fluid, it soothes the knee and takes away the pain. Worked for me and I was 8 months from total joint replacement. So if it can help knees that bad, it should really help you. So give it a try.

But be realistic. You may only be 32 but your knee joints take a real beating and some folks knees just can't take that. I guess you and I are 2 of those folks. So we have have to throttle back earlier in life and start protecting our joints. Some folks are born with knees that last 100,000 miles and others only get 30,000. And there are kids born with much less than that.

My knees made it to age 47 with tons of surgery to try to keep them going. They don't like to replace knees at too young an age as they wear out too. My 10 year warranty on my knees is about up and I can feel the change. Starting to hurt again. Replacement is a tough surgery and not one to consider until you've tried everything else.

So try the fluid replacement and if necessary another cortisone shot and take the full 10 days off. Any more questions, I'm here just about everyday.

good luck............Jenny

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Have they discussed with you the possibility of an arthroscopy? Often they are done partially for diagnostic purposes and also to fix damage. These days the recovery can be a matter of days - I have had a ton of knee surgery so my surgeon goes in every 2-3 years to do a "clean up" via arthroscopy. The last one I had was on a Friday and by Sunday I was at a friend's for dinner and back at work on Monday.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
(male)

joewiggs32 HB User

Wow Jenny!
Hey , thanks for the reply. Your stories and possible explanation of my pain made me understand a little better. Sorry to hear about all the surgeries. Yeah,I am still currently out of work until the 30th when I go back to see the Doc. i am no doubt going to ask for that cortisone shot again. That stuff really helped. I also heard that I could ony get 3 because it can cause damage. So , after I go through with the treatment will my knees start to feel better. I was going to ask him to keep me out of work until the treatments were done which i believe are for 3 weeks. I can't go back to work with this pain , limping on occasion. I just want this done. is this something major or minor. thanks again Jenny.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
(male)

joewiggs32 HB User

Nope,
But what damage has been caused? What are they going to clean out? If there is little cartilage then what else is there to clean. Oh, i am starting to have these buclkling episodes here and there where my knee gives out for a quick sec. What is that about?
thanks for the reply. Sounds like you and Jenny are troopers

Closed Thread