It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Synvisc to defer tkr?

I had my foot totally rebuilt 5 mos ago (triple arthrodesis with achilles trndon lengthening) and am doing great.....but now the knee is stiff and painful and slowing my rehab from foot surgery.

I know I have almost no cartilidge (?). I really do not feel I can undgergo another surgery for at least a year (the foot surgery is a very long recovery)

Have the synvisc injections been helpful? I would love to hear how this has worked for others. I know I will need a tkr but want to wait.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Synvisc to defer tkr?

Hi Lovelyladi...I'm Jenny...survivor of 14 knee surgeries including having both replaced at the same time(a procedure which requires much insanity).

Both Synvisc and Hyalgan had just come out the year before my replacements so I tired both...one in each knee. Turned out I had a massive bad reaction to Synvisc so if you are prone to allergies or bad drug reactions, consider Hyalgan. Synvisc takes 3 shots but Hyalgan takes 5 so insurance companies will scream(costs 2 extra office visits!)

But I can report that even with knees on the verge of replacement, it bought me valuable time. But don't make the same mistake I did. I felt so good I over did it and ended up fracturing the surface of my knee joint(got picked up by a big wave and slammed down), I never would have gone in the ocean without the shots......I felt that much better.

So I'd say do it. You can get 6-12 months from them and then do it again and again until it no longer works...then replace the knee. Knee replacement is very painful surgery so it helps if you are in lots of pain beforehand. I was and despite the surgery pain, I was in less pain a week after surgery than the hours before. I LOVE my knees

Good luck and if you have any more questions, I'm always around.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Synvisc to defer tkr?

Recently Synvisc One was released. Instead of a series of 3 shots it is one injection. I would try these (Synvisc or Hyalgan) but my insurance wont cover it and I don't have the funds to pay for it out of pocket right now. I have a friend who has used Synvisc with great success.

Closed Thread