It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

Arizonagirl8875 HB User
Smile What equipment is very helpful after knee replacement?

I'm scheduled for a left knee implant in Sept. and wondered what fellow knee implant patients found helpful in the way of equipment. I plan to get my walker--should it have wheels or not? Also, I have a comfort-height ADA model toilet--will I still need the toilet riser? I heard some patients mention a machine that moves their leg passively, do you recommend this? I will have 3 days in the hospital and then go home with my husband. Will I be able to get up to go to the bathroom by myself or need help to get out of bed? Is there anything else you found helpful? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

vabram HB User
Re: What equipment is very helpful after knee replacement?

I have just had tkr 9 weeks ago. The machine that works the leg is wonerful. I fully advise using it. I was in theraphy 5 weeks. The first few weeks I used a walker with wheels and then cane. I still use cane when I am outside or going where I may not be able to grap a wall or etc. I am told for a while there is chance of knee giving so you need support, around house I do not use at all. I have done good with my surgery. I still experience some pain off and on and in fact posted to see if this is how everyone else does. I am able to do my housework by taking it slowly and resting my leg about every 30 minutes. I also have a stationary bike I ride and home exercises theraphy gave me. Good luck everyone tells me in 6mo to a year I will be very happy with my new knee

Last edited by vabram; 07-07-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
(female)

MissOakland HB User

I am a 47 year old female and had a TKR on 11/26/08. I was in the hospital for 3 days and went home with a walker and crutches. Depending on the layout of your home, I recommend creating a clear path to your nearest bathroom, and YES, I found that a toilet riser seat was a needed and welcomed addition to use the bathroom comfortably. Having to sit down on low surfaces was a problem. The two weeks following the surgery, I mostly was in my bedroom, moving from my bed to the bathroom. When the P/T came to provide therapy, I did those exercises in my bedroom. I was up and moving around without much pain after two weeks following surgery. I only needed one crutch and did not use the walker at all. I was not the best patient following surgery. I really only did about three outside visits to physical therapy. The machine that I was sent home with (passive exercise machine) was really helpfull in ensuring that I had constant movement on my knee MANY TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY. I probably overused that machine, but in the long run, I think it helped me acheive good radius movement of my knee. I also HIGHLY recommend renting one of those ICE MACHINES that fit over your knee and provide continuous ice to prevent further swelling to the knee. I think this was very helpful as well. You can count on having swelling for up to 6 or more months following surgery. The more you get your knee active and moving, the better it will be!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

Arizonagirl8875 HB User

Thanks for the good advice, Vabram and Miss Oakland. I am going to look into getting the things you mentioned. Where were you able to rent these things? At a Durable Medical equipment provider locally or elsewhere? I hope my recovery goes as well as yours--there are a lot of really scarey stories of what some patients go through! Congratulations on having made it through the worst part.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

keiko HB User

My mom had both knees replaced 6 months apart. As far as toileting goes we got a bedside commode for her. We put it beside her bed at night which was very helpful. We could also remove the pan and put it directly over the commode. This way she had the arms to assist her in getting up.
She also had the machine that moved her knee continuously. That was very helpful and she could adjust it as she felt able to increase her range of motion.
We also bought chux for her bed. If there was any bladder leakage we didn't have to change the whole bed. Good luck with your surgery.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Although mine were 10 years ago, I had both knees replaced at the same time. But the problems are still the same. I used the high rise toilet seat...hard to get up off if it's too low. I also used a shower stool set high at first then slowly lowered as I could take more bending. I used crutches then canes to get around...hated the walker. Passive motion machines were not allowed at the home when I had it so I had daily PT from the Visiting Nurses and that was great. Set up a chair for yourself with extra pillows to get you up high and make sure it has arms for pushing yourself up. One big problem was getting into the car. Make sure you can into the car with your leg completely straight. I had to sit as far in as I could then swing my legs in 1 at a time and reverse the process getting out. I bought my last car with this in mind.....front doors only so lots of room to get in and out. Mom's "knee car". I was on daily blood thinners for 12 weeks and that meant twice weekly blood levels so I had to get out. Can't be done by the Visiting Nurses. And my biggest beef(don't know if anyone has ever posted this) but they give you lots of antibiotics during surgery and I had more after wards...IV antibiotics. And I am one of those women who gets a yeast infection whenever I take antibiotics. So you can guess what happened. Massive yeast infection that spread out of the vagina all over my body. NEVER expected that. So if you are prone, have the stuff from the drugstore on hand at home. Pain is one thing...massive itching is another!

And have lots of healthy food to eat when you get home....pre-cook and freeze your favorites. You will be anemic so make protein rich foods. And lots of liquids to get the blood volume back up too.

good luck and ask away if you have more questions.............Jenny

Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
(female)

KatyHex HB User

I had left my knee replace on 6 April 2009. I found I only needed a walker, a shower stool and after a few weeks, a cane. I did not get a toilet seat raiser because I was able to get up and down off the toilet using my right leg only. I would put my left hand on the rim of the seat and lower myself down with my right leg and then push myself up. I wanted to avoid getting anything toilet related because you have to throw them away when you are done with them. Donation centers like Good Will won't take them. At least that's the way it is in California.

Closed Thread