It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

WendyH1234 HB User
post Knee Replacement torn scar tissue

I was 8 weeks post knee replacement and thought I was up to a work task that required a 2-day (8 hr/day) facility walk-through. nothing strenuous but continual walking. I took pain meds to kill the inevitable pain. I apprantly did some damage because afterwards, the pain was sharp and severe when I tried to put any pressure on my leg or lift my leg without use of my hands. Went to doctor and was told i tore my scar tissue and just deal with it for the next 2-3 months while taking anti-inflamatories. I'm doing that but its getting worse daily. now its not just sharp pain but acheing as it was just after surgery. what did i do? what should i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: post Knee Replacement torn scar tissue

When they do a TKR they cut a lot of muscles. this is the longest part of the recovery as it can take muscles up to 8 months to completely heal. It sounds as if one of those muscles that was cut has opened back up again.

It will heal and it will feel just like your original surgery did....bad pain right after wards..then aching, then a slow healing. So take it easy. You just set your recovery back by 2-3 months by tearing that muscle. As I said, it can take up to 8 months for a muscle to completely heal and that is why they don't want you doing anything strenuous for several months. Muscle cells can be several feet long and so they heal and just so many millimeters a day and it just takes time.

Sorry, but your doc was right on.

Jenny(bi-lateral TKR 10 years ago after 12 previous surgeries)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread