It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
(male)

Al5261 HB User
Need advice for faster recovery after Total Hip Replacement surgery

Hi,

Im 61 years old man, 166-167 cm (5-56) tall, 229.5 pounds (104 kg). At 14th of May 2009 I had surgery for total left hip replacement. From 2005 I have problems with my left leg. Due to too many mixed symptoms I went trough so many different procedures which roll out all other reasons which can causing problems and remain that only hip replacement will help. It was promised I to return to 97% to my previous condition (nobody tell me for how long after the surgery). Next week it will finished 3 full months after the surgery. For now I can walk without walking stick only between 100 150 m and have to stop for a wile (up to minute) because normally it appears pain in the spots where the artificial joint is attached to the body or muscles are not working. The entire distance that Im walking for now is between 800m to 1km . By the way during 2008 I was walking up to 1-2 km with walking stick but after this distance the left hip joint was so painful that it was unable I to walk. In fact I almost did not use the muscles of my left leg for very long time. I only use my right leg and walking stick. Does my condition is OK or I have to look for some help. I can go down and up a store of the building using stairs (but before to be tired) only by using hand hold reel. I went to physiotherapy but stop because after the procedures I had pain in entire left leg including next day. I continued with rehabilitation systems that I find on Internet. Can someone shear his/her experience or to tell me when he/she start to walk on long distances 2-4 km without to stop and without walking aid.

Does someone know can I bicycling and if I can how long after the THR surgery.

Thanks in advance Al

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Need advice for faster recovery after Total Hip Replacement surgery

Dear Al:

My comment to you is "It takes as long as it takes" for
getting back to normal from total hip replacements. It sounds to me like you might be overdoing the exercise of walking. Try walking shorter distances, then doing something else like sitting down or lying on the bed. Alternate your walking with other activities. You are still in the early months of recovery the way I see it. We all recover on our body's own time table and no one can really tell you how long it will take you to get back to what is "normal" for you. Try to be patient.

Shirley H.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
(female)

sandy7705 HB User

Al, I am 41 and had a THR almost 4 months ago. My age definately helped my recovery and I am able to walk up to 7 miles (no pain ever). If you could walk longer distances before surgery and are still experiencing pain now, I think you should talk to your surgeon and get some x-rays done. It won't hurt to make sure everything is progressing normally and will give you peace of mind. If the doc says everything looks good then I guess you'll just have to be patient. Good luck!

SS

Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
(male)

Al5261 HB User

Thanks to all of you. I had before 3 weeks (26th of July) meeting with my surgeon and x-ray. Everything was O.K. Maybe the problem is that I want to recover ASAP. Obviously I’m not patient. I know that I overdo my leg not only with walking but with other too many exercises as well. Obviously I do not follow the rule if have pain after exercises the exercise is not proper for your body or you overdo it.

Thanks again.
Al

Last edited by Al5261; 08-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Al....

No "fast fix" recovering from total hip replacement. We all recover at our own speed. At this point, there's still lots of healing taking place.

You mentioned quitting physical therapy. IMO, you need to find a therapist who has experience working with joint replacement patients. Lots of stretching and strengthening is crucial and there are specific exercises.

Patience is key. It can take up to a year to fully recover. It will all fall into place for you....in due time.

Good luck,
Linda
(bi-lateral hip replacements)

Old 08-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi again Al:

We all probably want to recover from hip replacements ASAP.

But I think many of us learn - it is wise to, as the old saw has it: "Make haste slowly".

Let us know from time to time how things are going and the various ways in which things are improving. We all are pulling for you.

Shirley H.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
(female)

sallygator HB User

have questionabout this prolonged recovery...
I am currently about 5 months out of surgery
THR right hip
Happy til now- not hurt- but yes pressure at the hip area
SHould I walk it work it out- through it>
Or wait, avoid work a few days and baby it>
I am overweight still which is not where I thought I would be
BUt riding bikes long distances- walking no pain and straight.
just wondering abou tthis feeling in my gut.
Like where you put your hand when it is on your hip-
deeper inside.
healing- yeah- how long will that take?
thanks for reading this and replying!

Closed Thread