It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
TKR Pain vs Function

After 15 years of various orthos tell me I could have a knee replacement any time (I'm 40, with severe juvenile chronic polyarthritis - think 35+ years of rheumatoid) my new ortho, at a fancy schmancy clinic, tells me TKRs are for pain relief only and will not improve function.

Is this true? Or is this guy off his rocker? He was kinda young, maybe he's still doing what the textbooks tell him too .

While my knee isn't technically a "10" on the pain scale to walk on (I've had this since infancy, I don't know what normal joints feel like) it is trashed; my right knee is stiff as a board, I'm severely knock-kneed, zero cartilage, the Achilles tendon is pulling and my back aches from the imbalance . . . and he says TKR can't fix any of these problems? HUH?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: TKR Pain vs Function

You are correct...Dr. Fancy Schmancy is wrong. TKR's do restore function as well as get rid of pain. They restore almost full function and the newest ones are better than ever. You can kneel and pivot and do all sorts of stuff that the knees even 10 years ago couldn't give you. But more than the function of the joint, it restores function to the whole body. You can walk for exercise. I lost 40 pounds the first 2 years after replacement due to just being mobile again. My BP came down. My back problems got better because I was more centered gravitationally. My hips stopped hurting as I was walking without a limp. My feet and ankles were better as I was walking flat on my feet and not the outside edge. TKR's restore lots of types of function and Dr. Fancy may not have realized that yet as he has too little life experience. And most doc's know that so I suppose he's just expressing his opinion. Probably couldn't get into an ortho program so now disses ortho procedures. Good doc to stay away from. You need a rheumatologist who knows when to send you to the ortho as he's out of tricks to keep you comfortable.

Idiot!

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: TKR Pain vs Function

Thank you! I needed to hear that!

I was so confused by the end of that appointment I felt like I had been in a Twilight Zone episode.

Ooo, and just wait till my rheumy hears this! He's gonna freak out, I hope he yells at Dr. FancyPants.

Closed Thread