It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

sublime22703 HB User
3 wks after knee surgery swelling!??

I am 3 weeks post op from knee realignment (tibial medialization) and i am experiencing some excess swelling. It seemed like it was getting managble and then they took the (25) staples out. Now my knee is swollen and it feels like my quad muscles are going to explode. I have been on crutches and not doing anything to aggravate it, but I am worried that maybe a screw came loose or something....does anyone know what it feels like when that happens or had something similiar???
Thanks

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

forevergimpy HB User
Re: 3 wks after knee surgery swelling!??

I wish I had some insight for you. I had a very similar surgery done years and years ago but didn't experience this. Have you called the surgeon yet to ask his/her opinion?
I'd say if this is a change in swelling and/or pain you should call sooner than later and have it checked out. Even if it is par for the course in healing, you'll feel better knowing that all is ok.
My screw did eventually begin to work its way out, but that was more than a year after the surgery and I wouldn't say there was a lot of swelling, just a nasty looking lump under the skin. And when I'd put any pressure on the skin it was like I was kneeling on a tack (only from the inside-out).
Good luck and I hope you can get at least a call in to your doc tomorrow!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

SandraMaria HB User

Sublime, I came here looking for info regarding swelling after knee surgery. I could have written your post, except that mine was for meniscus repair and was two weeks ago.

I can't seem to get thru to the dr that the swelling is what is causing the pain. The pain is definitely from the swelling, because I went back to his office twice last week to have it aspirated. It's all blood, no fluid, no pus. And right after he does that, it feels GREAT. But within an hour it's back to as big as it was before.

He won't aspirate it again because of the risk of infection. I want him to order an mri so i can find the origin of the bleeding. His response is keep it elevated and iced it. Great. I can't work, and altho my three kids are in college, they all just went back and I'm supposed to have been helping them out with some things, and have been trapped in this house for the past 2 weeks.

I am starting to get concerned about a DVT too. From what I'm reading, 2/3 of people who have them, have no symptoms.

But "exploding" is the exact word I used to TRY to describe this to him. The swelling is around my entire knee, and up to the bottom of my quads. And God forbid I try to bend my knee -- it tears up my quads like I got shot.

I'll post again if I get him to order the mri and I find out the cause. Good luck to you too.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

sublime22703 HB User
Smile Re: 3 wks after knee surgery swelling!??

It can be so frustrating when doctors think they know everything. These days the average person can go online and diagnose themselves! I hope your doctor listens and if not get a second opinion. That amount of swelling sounds could be being caused by something else. My swelling went down about 3 days after my post. I think it had something to do with the staple removal. I just started PT and slowly but surely seem to be on the mend. Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

b00nswife99 HB User

Just had mine done two months ago. I would have the Dr do xrays to see if all is ok. I use a cryo/cuff when mine swelled. Its the best thing in the world. If you don't have one they can be expensive around 130.00 but well worth it. You just fill it with ice and water. Also two bags of frozen peas work if need be. You know how you feel, stand up for yourself, get the xray. You must be doing PT, can't stress enough how much that matters to getting better. It hurts but take the pain medication . Good Luck

Closed Thread