It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User
Swollen, numb right knee/leg and pain.

Hi. About 12 weeks ago I noticed that my right knee began feeling numb to the touch. As time went on the numbness traveled down half of the front of my right leg, and on the side. If I bend my knee, or put pressure on it I get a terrible pain that feels as if the muscle is being ripped to shreads. It's so unbearable that it brings tears to my eyes, and there is pain to the touch right below the knee cap. I have never injured my knee. My insurance doesn't kick in till November 1st so I have a few weeks before I can get this checked out.

I am 59 years old with a recent diagnosis of crohn's disease, however, the results of the capsule endoscopy were inconclusive but symptoms are exactly as crohn's. I also have glaucoma and recently had cateract surgery.

If anyone has any idea why the numbness and pain, I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you in advance! J

Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Swollen, numb right knee/leg and pain.

Hi JSLP......I'll try to give you some ideas until you can get it checked out. It sounds as if you've got some kind of nerve impingement around our knee that is causing the numbness. A slipped disk in the back can do the same...any history of back problems?

You also say you have pain to the touch below the knee.....is it in the area just below the kneecap? If so, there is a huge bursa right there that can stop a grown man in his tracks with great ease it hurts so much. Might want to try heat or ice and see what they do. I have chronic bursitis in that bursa and sometimes it responds to ice to reduce swelling and other times heat to bring a better blood supply. You have to experiment.

Crohn's has a specific form of arthritis that goes with it called ankylosing spondylitis that involves the spine and large joints such as the knee(my daughter has Crohn's). Again, any back pain?

Let me know and we'll take it from there. I've had 14 knee surgeries and if it can happen to a knee, I've probably had it happen. I'm 58 so understand the need to not be "old" or "sick" especially in the eyes of an employer.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User
Re: Swollen, numb right knee/leg and pain.

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! You are "spot on" with the back problem issue. I have terrible pain between my shoulder blades, in the thoracic area and lower back. In fact, some days I can hardly stand up or walk. And yes, the pain is in the area just below the knee cap that is tingling and burning pain, and then the fatty area to right and a little below the knee is where I cannot apply any pressure.

You read my mind when you mentioned "not being ill in the eyes of an employer". I have had to call in sick from the reactions to the meds to treat the crohn's, but it was 10 days ago my knee kept me from being able to walk. I will try heat or ice. I am told not to use heat on my back.

Why do these knee problems happen like this?

I have an appointment with an ortho doc November 3.

Thanks again, J

Closed Thread