It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

lucybooz HB User
how do you know when????

hi everyone, i'm a server, 63 years of age. i have problems with my hip and i know i'm in store for thr. how do i know when to have it done? right now working dosn't bother me too much. every now and then, depending on how i stand, it kinda feels like it will give out - maybe for just a second, then it's ok again. my worst time is laying in bed. it's not unbearable, but no fun either. i can't lay without a pillow between my legs or under my right leg. sometimes it bothers me when i sit on a hard chair as well.

i've been reading some of the stories and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't concerned. i had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago that i'm thinking was a piece of cake compared to this type of surgery.

i guess i'm wondering how long i can go prolonging the surgery? will things get worse than just pain and discomfort at night?

i was told there is no cushioning at the hip joint anymore so how bad can it get?????

also, i'm concerned about recovery time. like i said, i'm a server at red lobster and i would hate to NOT be able to return to work. if everything would go great, what recoup time would i be looking at? do you do the therapy (exercises, etc.) at home or must you go to the therapy place? i remember with my shoulder i had to go 2-3 x's/week. then i could drive tho.

so many questions that you guys, with the experience, can answer rather than the doctor.

thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

lucy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: how do you know when????

Hi Lucy:

If there is no more cushioning at the top of the hip joint, bone is wearing away and the pain will keep getting worse- plus the bone loss will not be good for hip replacement success. If I were you I would get that hip/s replaced as soon as possilbe.
After hip replacement, walking is the very best exercise so your server job sure fills that bill! How fast you could get back to serving will depend on how fast you recover. You need to be able to walk without a cane or walker unless they find a different job for you at Red Lobster - maybe you could work in the kitchen for a while or something like that? Even standing a long time will be hard for a while after the replacement.

Please let us know what you decide to do. We all care very much about the welfare of each other here.
Shirley H.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: how do you know when????

Hi. Recovery time varies. Because you have to be on your feet and might have to carry heavy trays, you might take a little longer than someone with a more sedentary job. Recovery time could be 4-6 weeks but might also be up to 12 (though I think that might be a little long). I think some other people with jobs that require standing might have posted here already so you might do a search and see what you can find. Also Shirley has a good idea--maybe you can work the register or do some tasks in the kitchen that will allow you to periodically sit down. Key is how strenuous your standing and lifting will be.

In my experience, pain will just gradually increase. It won't get better. Recovery process is the same whenever you do the surgery. Question is how much pain can you tolerate. How much limitation are you seeing in your life already? Do you avoid going places with family or friends because walking is too painful? Do you lose sleep due to pain? Does it affect your personality to be in pain all the time? I put up with pain for a lot longer than I now think was reasonable.

I am waiting to do the second hip, mostly because I need a window of time where family can come help me (I live by myself) and when I can comfortably be absent from work. But, I won't put it off as long as I did the first hip. I struggled with first hip for over 5 years. Not worth it.

Closed Thread