It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

normaneon HB User
What does this mean?

Knee replaced 9 years ago with revision 7 yrs ago First I was told I had an infection in my bone. Now I am told the prothsis is loose, The tagged white cell scan showed "mild asymmetric increased activity within the distel femoral epiphysis. This is most likely due to the surgical changes and not due to infection.Bone scan demonstrated abnormal activity within the tibial plateau.'

I do not understand and the Dr. is not helping, he wants to do another revision because he insists the prothsis is loose. As I said before in my other posts, I can't see another Dr. because of the type of insurance I have and I am on a very limited budget.
Can anyone translet these findings for me?
Thank you all, Norma

Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: What does this mean?

Hi Norma....I hate to say it but what your scan shows is the prosthesis is loose. "Distal" means the far end of the bone, "femoral" is the thigh bone and "epiphysis"is the growing area at the end of the bone that is left after replacement. "Mild asymetric increased activity" means the insert of the prosthesis is moving around and causing bone to grow randomly. "Abnormal activity in the tibial plateau" would be from the tibial part of the prosthesis coming loose and showing bone changes as well. I know I was worried about infection for you because of the other findings but I saw my own ortho finally today and I'm headed for a revision myself. I learned a few things.

My doc said there are 3 main things they look for after a few years. The first is the cements coming loose. The second is the plastic parts breaking down. Third, the metal parts coming loose from the bone(the bone grows into the implant but is weak bone and so breaks easily). He went over me thoroughly and decided that in my case, it was the plastic breaking down and it's aggravating my rheumatoid arthritis.

So after hearing this, I can understand the diagnosis of the cement coming loose much better....it is the number 1 cause of revisions apparently. And the tibial part breaking loose from the bone is right there in the top 3 as well. So between you and I, we have the Top 3!

I know my knees were 10 years knees when I got them 11 years ago so I'm not surprised but they looked perfect in the x-rays. But "polymer breakdown" doesn't show in the x-rays. But I trust my doctor completely so I'm starting to prepare for the revisions...that means getting rid of the infection in my jaw first.

so I know how frustrated you must be....3 knees in 9 years.....but they are only as good as the technology and your doc's ability. Let's hope he does a better job this time.

Sorry honey...I know you must be devastated.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

normaneon HB User

Jenny, we are a good pair. You have been a God Send to me, with your knowledge. I am so glad you have a Dr. that explains everything, Thanks for sharing with me. Really, I am glad to hear you say it is loose, because it makes me have more faith in my surgeon. That was his suspicion from the beginning. The pain is reqally getting bad, I was hoping to hold off until after the holidays, but not sure if I can. I see him this Thursday at 7 pm (that is also my birthday 71 yrs. young) such a present!!! I will see what he says. I am so sorry to hear you have to go through this all again. Lets keep in touch. soft and sweet hugs, Norma

Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I'm here for you Norma....let me know what he says. Pain is more important that the holidays...if it comes too loose you could fall and break a hip on top of it. I don't want that for you!

So happy birthday and I hope you get some new knees real soon.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Closed Thread