It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User
Weird pain that moves around my leg

So about 4-6 weeks ago I started having some problems on the left side -- my hip, the lower pelvis (like where my left upper part of my leg meets my pelvis, really internal) and my calf muscle. I don't know if the calf muscle situation is related to the other pain.

The worst part is when I sit, it really hurts and I cannot find a comfortable position. It's not where the tailbone is, but it feels like there's no padding slightly to the left of the tailbone, and it's just a sharpish pain. But sometimes I have burning, painful sensation around my left hip and occasionally a twinge in the lower left part of my back.

I saw an orthopedist and he thinks it's bursitis in the hip area and a hamstring strain in left leg area. He prescribed a week of twice the dose of Advil (3 200mg pills 4 times a day) and a bunch of stretching exercises. Told me not to exercise. He says I'll be better in 3 weeks.

I've been doing these exercises for 3 days and I feel a lot worse, not better. It's weird how the pain seems to move around. It's mostly the upper leg area (when I sit) but this afternoon my left hip hurt so bad I had to lay down. Then it stopped hurting and the other started up. Meanwhile, my left calf has a mind of its own. Sometimes it hurts... alternating severity of "pain". Other times no problem. (He says I have a calf strain there and prescribed more stretching.)

Has anyone had this type of situation? If so, were you able to resolve it? Could it be something other than bursitis, hamstring strain or calf strain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
(female)

Thomasinaa HB User
Re: Weird pain that moves around my leg

Hi Carrielynn
I have been experience similar pain patterns over the past year. I've been asking the Dr. about the pain for the past year also and he has xrayed my back, and never bothered to look at my hips. I went to see a physiotherapist "on my own" a month ago and right away he discovered that my right hip has advanced osteoarthritis. He sent a letter to my Dr. asking for an xray and lo and behold, he was right. I'm getting to the point where it's hard to sit, hard to walk, just plain old difficult to do much and need a cane. I did get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon as the Doc said I'll most likely need a new hip... and the waiting list for that appointment is 6 months down the road. I'm going to see my husband's Doctor today for a second opinion as my left hip is also hurting and no one has bothered to xray that one. I'm pretty fed up with all of this and my advice to you, is to perserve with the Doctor(s)...had I done so many months ago, I might not be in this position today.
I too have been given exercises and they hurt like crazy. I've continued walking with my dogs, but have had to shorten the walks down to about half.
So, my sympathy goes out to you... Doctors are busy and seem to dismiss general aches and pains so quickly..
I hope you find help quicker than I have.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

DearThomasinaa:
I am so glad thaqt you have a referral to an orthopedist. I hope that he or she will x-ray both your hips so that you will know what is what with both hips. You may need replacements for both.

Shirley H.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
(female)

hamstachick HB User

You know, I told my med doctor the other day that I had legs aches that haven't gone away and started right before my period last week. He asked me if I had heard of Somatoform Syndrome. What my understanding of it is, that it's what doctors call it when people have mysterious pains, etc. and have no reason for it. But I am also getting the idea that it's in the hypochondria class. It really makes me mad when he discounts my side effects from SSRIs and now this! He acts as though I am crazy and making it up; like I am trying to focus on my health too much. Well I wouldn't focus on my leg aches if they weren't THERE! I went home crying and cried when I got there too. It's just all overwhelming and scary.

Anyway, my point is......listen to your body, especially if it's persistent. You know? As for my leg aches, I don't know what it is and I'm scared. Can't afford dr. tests, or even a visit at $80 bucks just to get in there to SEE him.
Health Obsessed
Separation anxiety
Generalized anxiety disorder
~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Last edited by hamstachick; 01-28-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

Closed Thread