It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Exit 148 HB User
Fatigue TKR

I am now 2 months post op TKR, and seem to be tired all the time. I still have problems with the ROM, but I'm working on it. My back still has spasms from time to time. I am sleeping better but it is still not my usual sleep. And to top it all off, I am always tired! I just want to sit in my pillow puddles with my leg raised. I do get out to the stores and to short term activities, but I can hardly wait to get home and sit. I do feel good after I do a session of exercises, but it doesn't last long. Is this normal? I can walk short distances without my rolling cane, but not for long as my leg gets tired --- not pain, just tired. Is this all depression, or is it what I should expect?

Others in this state?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

fantail HB Userfantail HB Userfantail HB User
Re: Fatigue TKR

Exit, I am still tired after 8 months! I am slowly getting more energy and better sleep is happening depending on how my leg/knee is at the end of the day. Our bodies have been to hell and back, and unlike other surgeries we haven't had the luxury of being able to lie and rest and recuperate - we were up on our new knees the same day! It took me 4 months before I felt up to working part time and I am only now back full time. I think you need to just keep up the good work you are doing and give yourself time. My Dr said it takes up to 2 years to fully recover from what we have done and to expect to feel tired when I quizzed him.
Margaret

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear Exit:
I have had both hips replaced now, and presently am about 3 months past the last one. I am almost ready to completely give up the cane when going out, but not quite ready.
I found that it took a full year to get back to what is normal walking for me, after the first hip replacement.
I think that since you are so recently over your knee replacement, surgery, you are very early in your recovery! Give it more time. It seems like forever after a replacement, but we need to remember that these are major surgeries and our bodies need their own time to get back to whatever is normal for us. It is not just the joints that need recovery and rehab time, but our entire bodies. Major surgery is a major "insult" to the body. I waited more than a year after my first hip replacement to have the other hip replaced. I know yours is knee replacement, which seems to be more complex than the hip joint.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 11-20-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: typo

Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

corgi02 HB Usercorgi02 HB Usercorgi02 HB User

I agree, it does take longer than we hope to recover from this very traumatic thing that our knee goes through. If anyone has watched a real video or has seen photos of a replacement, you understand why we feel all the things we do.
I will be 6 wks in a few days, and I feel the same way. Still working on trying to improve ROM, feeling tired, and am happy when I sit with my leg elevated and iced. Sleep is in segments. Its hard to sleep on my back, and then I think that because we are not sleeping well, that lends to being tired during the day too. Its just plain hard work to try and get around with a cane, a walker, or even without those devices when we are learning how to walk again.
I have had to dig deep for patience, and the strength to have faith that given more time, this to shall pass. It is a long hard road for most.
Rest when you need to, and be patient.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
(female)

Limpey Lou HB User

Its nice to hear from someone who is feeling a little low like myself.
You must not forget as I have been told that you have had major surgery and it does take time to adjust.
I have no problem with knee pain when I walk but am in agony from lower back pain which is getting me down.
I also am constantly tired but i think this like yourself is that we are not getting a proper nights sleep.
Pain also makes you tired.
Please keep strong and we will get there .

Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
(female)

Limpey Lou I have found that weekly back massages and regular trips to my Osteopath for my back pain have helped hugely and it is starting to be 'normal' again. We have all walked with limps and used our backs as cranes for so long, before our surgery, that it takes time for our bodies to respond to the changed stance and way of moving. Maybe you could try some massages too.
Margaret

Old 11-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
(female)

Limpey Lou HB User

Thankyou Margaret,
I will take note of your suggestion and if my back pain does not ease ,an oesteopath sounds a great idea . Regards Debbie

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

GaterGal HB User

Hey, Exit148, boy am I glad you brought up the tiredness. I am 34 days post-op and only this past few days have noticed how tired I am. I even stopped using my Rx pain meds (hydrocodone) and replaced it with plain old acetaminophen, thinking that would help. It hasn't helped, but I'm glad to be off the drug. I am not feeling depressed, just tired. I am also dieting, and thought maybe it was lack of nutrients, but after reading you all, I guess it is just part of recovery. I have decided to go back to my daily Diet Coke habit to try to be more alert. I can't imagine how people go back to work after TKR. I am so glad I am retired.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
(female)

GaterGal HB User

Update:
I called my surgeon's office this morning and the triage nurse told me that it's early in the healing process (Just over 1 month). Generally, they say TKR patients should take the Rx pain meds for 3 months and then wean off. She told me to go back on my hydrocodone once in the a.m. and once before bedtime, and take the Tylenol in between (not to exceed 4,000 mg daily) times. She also said that if I wasn't used to Tylenol, it could make me sleepy.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

GaterGal -- I forgot when I went off the pain meds, but it has been quite a while. I really don't hurt --- except when I bend my knee for that @#$%$# ROM exercise. So it isn't medication that makes me tired. And -- I'm tired of being tired!! And I'm tired of having the leg feel like a board of wood! But I guess I just have to be patient and let nature take it's course.

There was a time when I wondered if I would do it again, if my other knee gets bad. I'm beginning to think I would go thru it again --- I think!

But I wish sleeping was better. I'm sure that adds to the daytime fatigue.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
(female)

Hi all, having had yet another night when my leg wouldn't let me sleep, despite my usual paracetamol and nurofen tablets I am feeling so washed out and struggling to work. This is after 8 months and today I just wish the pain would END!!!!! It is a real bone pain at the moment and even thought I keep telling myself it has to be 'good' pain, because it is part of the healing process, there are times I wish I could take the strong stuff some of you can.
I overdid things two weeks ago and worked a 70 hour week and am still paying for it. Had just started to feel that I was coming out the other side at last but have set myself back again.
Sorry to be complaining today, but am fed up at the moment and thanks for listening!
Margaret

Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

Fantail -- since you said you felt you were coming out the other side, you may just have overdone it with the 70 hours of work. 70 HOURS??? Lesson learned? LOL!

What does your Dr. say about the continues bone pain?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
(female)

Haven't been to see him for two months - the last time I went he said see you in 5 years! He also told me it takes up to 2 years to fully heal, and that some continuing pain is normal. I have a great ROM and flexion so he is very pleased with me. I have taken it very easy today and am changing to our Summer duvet tonight, have my room all set up ready for a early and relaxing lead into bed time and am hoping that will help me get some sleep.
Am just counting down now to our summer month long break in 3 weeks and plan to sit in the sun (our summer is very late arriving this year and is only just starting now) and enjoying fishing and swimming and healing.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
(female)

shatteredangel5 HB User

Hey all.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!! Hope everyone had a wonderful day with family and friends and got stuffed full of turkey lol (I know I did)!!!

Had a hard time finding you all again. How has everyone been doing??? I have missed all of the threads, so hope everyone is doing well and to everyone that has recently had their TKR's......I wish you well and a fast recovery. Coming to these boards has been a God-send to me and I'm sure they will benefit others as well.

I had something pop in the back of my knee about a week ago....went to my new Ortho and he said it probably was the meniscus tendon because I had a big bunch in the back of my knee when I did that. Fun wow!!!!!!!! Seems like its always something. Anyway.....just wanted to stop by and say hello....take care all........

Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
(female)

IWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB UserIWillSurvive HB User

Hey everybody, took me a while to find you guys. Bummer about our old thread being shut down, I miss all the updates and support from everybody. Hope the rest of the gang are able to find this thread. I too was so tired for so many months after the TKR. In 18 days, I will be one year post op from my last TKR, YIPPEE. Most of the time I feel great but I can still overdue it and pay the price, sitting still for hours will still make me stiff and sore, etc. But it is so much better than before the surgery and during the early recovery. My range of motion lets me do just about anything I want. Suggest massages for the fatigue and soreness, it just does a great job of relaxing all those sore muscles from all the tension, pain and rehab.

Closed Thread