It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

angie81 HB User
Plica Excision???

Ii was just wondering if anyone out there had to have their Medial Plica removed? They thought I had a torn meniscus but nothing showed on the MRI but a Baker's Cyst. So now after many week of PT and inflammatory meds that is what they are thinking cause I am having no pain relief. Any insight on this would be great appriciated!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

annie321 HB User
Re: Plica Excision???

Hello,

Three weeks ago, I had a media plica excision. In addition, I have an extensive synovectomy. Earlier this same year, I had a torn meniscus and synovium issue fixed. Since my first surgery, I was experiencing a lot of pain, snapping and catching in my knee. My surgeon absolutely would not believe he did not fix my knee, but i knew something was terribly wrong. I was sent to a rheumatologist, tried a brace, PT, anti-inflammatories, rest, ice, heat, elevation etc, etc. I went to a second surgeon who performed a second arthoscopy, and (just as he suspected) I had a large medial plica. By the time he got in there, I had extensive damage and swelling of the synovium both medially and laterally. He had to do an extensive excision of the synovium, and removed the plica. He noted that a plica can mimic a torn meniscus in symptoms, and is often missed during arthroscopy, unless it is looked for. Since my second surgery, my knee has filled with fluid in a severe fashion. I have had tons of fluid aspirated twice now, and within 24 hrs, it is back. I have an appt in three days to have it aspirated again, since only 24 hrs passed after the last aspiration, and the fluid was back. The fluid has been analyzed twice, and there is no infection, just lots of irritation causing fluid to accumulate. I can say that since the plica, synovium removal, my knee is not catching, poping or snapping anymore. You can find lots of information in on the Internet about the nature of plica syndrome, and symptoms etc. Often, a plica will resolve over time, but if the condition is chronic, a plica removal can be helpful (so I am told). Since I am still having problems (post surgical), I cannot really say whether or not it was worth it yet; only time will tell.

I think if the only problem would have been the plica, I would be off and running, but when the synovium is involved (it is a very vascular area and hates to be messed with), recovery can be more longer.

This is based on my personal experience only, as I am not a medical professional.

I hope your plica removal goes smoothly, and helps with the stability and comfort of your knee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread