It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

NorineP HB User
Pushed too hard in PT?

I am 62 and had tkr on my right knee on October 19. My PT is at home and I was doing very well until this past tuesday. I had reached a 130 flex but my straight angle is not doing well. I must have pushed too hard on tuesday and now I can't bend my knee back at all. The doctor's nurse and the PT think I may have strained a muscle. Has anyone else had this happen. Now I feel like I'm going backwards after doing so well. I'm concerned because I have surgery on my other knee coming up December 14 and I was really hoping the right knee would be doing better before the surgery on my left knee.

It is comforting to know that healing seems to take much longer than 5 weeks.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
(female)

Limpey Lou HB User
Re: Pushed too hard in PT?

Hi Norine, I think you are really doing well as its only 5 weeks post op. I had mine done the day after you and am still struggling with bending. I'm lucky if mine goes to 75 although I was getting 90 before I left hospital. I think I had walked with a stiff leg for so long its like learning to walk again but I must persevere. You will be fine .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

NorineP HB User

Hi Lou, I know what you mean about the stiff leg. My knee seems to be doing better, but the flexion exercise is still not an option. I will just keep on with my other exercises and hope for the best. You hang in there and you will be much better soon.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

corgi02 HB Usercorgi02 HB Usercorgi02 HB User

Hi, I think you are doing great if you have 130 degrees of flexion, that is the max. You are only a week ahead of me and I am struggling to get past 102. I bet you did just pull something and you have some swelling there that is preventing the movement. I did that flexing and was set back a few days with a very mad knee.
It will get better, just do what they tell you and be patient. Easier said than done, right?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

NorineP HB User

Hi Corgi! You are so right, it is very hard to be patient, especially when I have the second knee surgery in 3 weeks. I'm really afraid that now I won't be able to use the right knee as much as I want to help the second knee. But then I think of those who had both knees done at the same time and I wonder how they did it.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
(female)

GaterGal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorineP View Post
Hi Corgi! You are so right, it is very hard to be patient, especially when I have the second knee surgery in 3 weeks. I'm really afraid that now I won't be able to use the right knee as much as I want to help the second knee. But then I think of those who had both knees done at the same time and I wonder how they did it.
Good luck with your second surgery. I hope you will post about it so we can follow your progress. My left TKR was 10/21. My surgeon won't do the right TKR until I am post 3 months. I am at 127, but stiff and walk slowly. Am still happiest at rest with leg elevated.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
(female)

JJJules40 HB User

I am 9 weeks post op and last Monday I believe I pulled a muscle at therapy. I was thinking today that I was aching worse than I have in weeks. I think a little bit of rest will probably do me the most good. I think we sometimes get feeling good and push a little too much....especially around the holidays.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
(female)

NorineP HB User

Hi all, today is my last day of meds until my next surgery in two weeks. I am happy to say that I regained all that I had lost with my little set back. My last PT was 10/25 and my flexion was 132 and my extension 8. The extension is not doing so well, but I walk without a limp and the physical therapist said the extension generally takes longer to achieve. She gave me some additional exercises to do for the extension, so we'll see how this progresses. I'll let everyone know how the second surgery goes and keep up with everyone's progress. We can do it!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
(female)

NorineP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJules40 View Post
I am 9 weeks post op and last Monday I believe I pulled a muscle at therapy. I was thinking today that I was aching worse than I have in weeks. I think a little bit of rest will probably do me the most good. I think we sometimes get feeling good and push a little too much....especially around the holidays.
That is what happened to me Jules. My therapist thinks it may have been an adhesion that I broke, and that would be a good thing. I do find that when I work really hard one day, the next is painful and my workouts difficult, but the day after that is much better. I hope you start feeling better!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
(female)

NorineP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaterGal View Post
Good luck with your second surgery. I hope you will post about it so we can follow your progress. My left TKR was 10/21. My surgeon won't do the right TKR until I am post 3 months. I am at 127, but stiff and walk slowly. Am still happiest at rest with leg elevated.
I will definitely post my progress. Right now I'm wishing my next surgery was after the first of the year instead of two weeks. It's good to keep the leg elevated. Make sure you use the ice or the machine if your doctor prefers. The ice really helps. The stiffness gets better and the pain changes. It still hurts but it is manageable.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
(female)

ladyscout HB User
Smile Re: Pushed too hard in PT?

I am now 2 weeks PO and I'm really doing well. I spent a great amount of time fearing this surgery. I happen to be unable to take most pain medications (spent day 3 through 7 throwing up till we found a medication that worked) and also can't take most anti-inflamatories. But....I made it through and it hasn't been as bad as I thought. I loved the ice machine and the PCM machine. Both work wonders!!! I'm going up and down stairs (slowly, hanging on, one stair at a time), doing some PT on my own and hoping to start out-patient PT today - 2 weeks since the surgery. I was in very good physical shape before the surgery and that has helped I'm sure. I had a epidural and a pain controller in my groin - both did the job well. My knee is still swollen. I've been taking showers and washing my hair (after wrapping the knee well) and that seems to help make me feel human. I have a tub shower so we put in the hand-held shower head, rubber mat, and shower stool. This works well. Since I have a two-story house I picked up a walker from the Goodwill for about $6 and got one it the hospital through insurance - one for downstairs and one for upstairs. Hope this post helps those thinking about their surgery coming up.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #12
(female)

NorineP HB User

You sound like you are doing very well. They tried a femoral block on me but for some reason it didn't work. I was not in very good shape before the surgery and I thought my weight might keep me from being a candidate for the surgery, but my doctor said I could do it and I have. The pain in my right knee lessens every day. I go to the doctor today and we'll see what he says. My next surgery on my left knee in two weeks. I'm a little nervous, but I know it will work out just as well as this one has.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #13
(female)

NewMe101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorineP View Post
I am 62 and had tkr on my right knee on October 19. My PT is at home and I was doing very well until this past tuesday. I had reached a 130 flex but my straight angle is not doing well. I must have pushed too hard on tuesday and now I can't bend my knee back at all. The doctor's nurse and the PT think I may have strained a muscle. Has anyone else had this happen. Now I feel like I'm going backwards after doing so well. I'm concerned because I have surgery on my other knee coming up December 14 and I was really hoping the right knee would be doing better before the surgery on my left knee.

It is comforting to know that healing seems to take much longer than 5 weeks.
I am about 10-years your senior and am 4 months post op. Although PTs are knowledgeable it is still best to talk with your surgeon about these things as they present themselves. My doctor said it will be at least 6 months before I begin to get a grip on all of this and a year to hopefully come full circle. I had the right knee done...but my surgeon won't even consider the left knee until the right one can support that next trauma. In my case, on medicare, I found my insurance won't pay for the two surgeries of this nature in the same year.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
(female)

ladyscout HB User

My gosh - I'm 3+ weeks post-op and I can't even believe someone would head into the second surgery! I'm still in pain, not sleeping well and wondering why I did this. Actually I do know why but the second knee while the first is still in pain and knowing what's ahead of you. You are brave. Good luck and stock up on sleeping pills, pain pills and stool softeners.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #15
(female)

NorineP HB User

Hi Ladyscout! I am almost 8 weeks post-op and I feel pretty good. I don't walk with a limp and I can go up and down stairs pretty well, but I keep a hand on the handrail. I still have problems with stamina, I tire pretty easily, but that just takes exercise. My biggest concern has been how do I get around with my left knee when I recently had surgery on my right? But now my right knee actually feels much better than my left, so I think I'm going to be ok in that department. I am so fortunate to be retired and not have to go to work or ...anywhere.

You aren't that far along and believe me, it does get better and before you know it, you will sleep the night through.

Closed Thread