It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
(female)

pebbles77 HB User
Stabbing pain in kneecap

A week ago I took a trip to NYC where I did a lot of walking, wearing not-so-good shoes (ballet-type flats). Ever since, my left knee has had intermittent stabbing pain inside the kneecap (patella?). It hurts when I put all my weight on it, or go up/down stairs. It also occurs on occasion while walking...but it's very sporadic. The stairs are my biggest problem.

There is no swelling, nor any throbbing pain. I've been wearing good supportive shoes to try to help alleviate this occasional shooting pain, but to no avail. I'm wondering if by not wearing the proper shoes I somehow injured my knee with all that walking and going up and down subway stairs? I'm 32 and this has never happened before, and I don't have any health insurance so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what is causing this, and perhaps let me know what I can do to alleviate this condition? I would really appreciate any help...thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
(female)

fantail HB Userfantail HB Userfantail HB User
Re: Stabbing pain in kneecap

Maybe you should get your back checked - I know that if mine is not right I feel it in my knees

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
(female)

pebbles77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Maybe you should get your back checked - I know that if mine is not right I feel it in my knees
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I do have scoliosis, and have had it all my life. Does this mean that my knee problems will only get worse? This is the first time I've ever experienced knee pain.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Kneecap pain is very common. You could just have an irritation behind there from movement and strain. Depending on your age you could also be developing some kneecap arthritis but this is more common when people have history of bad knees, etc. If you try some rest and over the counter anti inflammatories (ibuprofen, aspirin, or aleve depending on what has worked for you in the past) and they don't help after a few weeks then I'd get it checked out. First step would be knee xrays and exam.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
(female)

Suesan Jean HB User
Post Re: Stabbing pain in kneecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbles77 View Post
A week ago I took a trip to NYC where I did a lot of walking, wearing not-so-good shoes (ballet-type flats). Ever since, my left knee has had intermittent stabbing pain inside the kneecap (patella?). It hurts when I put all my weight on it, or go up/down stairs. It also occurs on occasion while walking...but it's very sporadic. The stairs are my biggest problem.

There is no swelling, nor any throbbing pain. I've been wearing good supportive shoes to try to help alleviate this occasional shooting pain, but to no avail. I'm wondering if by not wearing the proper shoes I somehow injured my knee with all that walking and going up and down subway stairs? I'm 32 and this has never happened before, and I don't have any health insurance so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what is causing this, and perhaps let me know what I can do to alleviate this condition? I would really appreciate any help...thank you!!
Well, I REALLY DO think you NEED to see an orthopedist, SOON......!!!

Closed Thread