It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #151
(female)

south girl HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement Recovery

Hi Is anyone else out there around 4 weeks post TKR? Wednesday will be 4 weeks for me. I would love to hear how you are doing. I think I am doing fairly well as far as extension and flex are concerned but I get these awful spasms in my leg and knee, at times when I am trying to relax. I still take Hydromorphone 1mg. about every 8 hrs. I also feel a little thump when I first begin to flex my knee. Is that common? I see the therapist tomorrow so will see what she says, but I wondered what some of you would say that have been through it. (experience is the best teacher) Thanks and wishing you all the best. It takes a brave soul to go through TKR!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #152
(female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by south girl View Post
Hi Is anyone else out there around 4 weeks post TKR? Wednesday will be 4 weeks for me. I would love to hear how you are doing. I think I am doing fairly well as far as extension and flex are concerned but I get these awful spasms in my leg and knee, at times when I am trying to relax. I still take Hydromorphone 1mg. about every 8 hrs. I also feel a little thump when I first begin to flex my knee. Is that common? I see the therapist tomorrow so will see what she says, but I wondered what some of you would say that have been through it. (experience is the best teacher) Thanks and wishing you all the best. It takes a brave soul to go through TKR!
Hey Southgirl - I'm Grumpyathome and had my surgery on 1/19/10. You will find my posts all over this forum. I also have varying aches and pains . My doc says it's going to be awhile til the pain goes away. I have PT tomorrow and know that I will ache even more after. But it will get better! Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #153
(female)

jmlm4245 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by south girl View Post
Hello northern neighbor,

I'm almost 90 days. At 4 weeks, I was riding the bike 30 minutes a day with almost total flex and extension. I took one pain pill a day, 30 minutes before workout. My workout, including the bike, also consists of all the PT exercises, plus about 30 min. of Pilates. All and all about 90 min of workout. I have lost 15 pounds and counting and have played 2 rounds of golf (9 holes each). I'd been going great and then.... my carpal tunnel kicked in. I tried getting some rose beds ready for spring and pow!! down for 3 days in my little removable cast. Growing old ain't for the timid.

Keep us posted
Linda

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #154
(male)

HiMaintenance HB User

Hi Southgirl. I'm HiMaintenance, and had my surgery 1/20/10. I've posted a couple of times on this board. I have 125 flex, and a couple of degrees to go on extension. Extension has been the hardest to get back to normal. I do bike for 15 min a day and walk 1/2 mile a day. I still am on Percoset, roughly 2 during the night, and one before PT (3x/week). I still can't get over the pain, as nights are my toughest. Nights are brutal for me. I'm getting stronger every day. First 2 weeks for me were absolutely brutal from pain and the PT (I've cried several times). Good luck.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #155
(female)

ladyscout HB User

Well, I'm in Mission Viejo and I had my surgery Nov. 17th. I was doing really well till I got a tendon/nerve rubbing on the implant. I've been on anti-inflamatories for the last 2 months and the last visit to the doc. was told no exercising at all! I'm getting a second opinion on the 2nd because I can't seem to get the doc. to tell me where I'm going next with this and it isn't getting better! I was doing 30 min. on level 4 a day on the bike, walking 3 miles around Lake Mission Viejo, etc. last month and now nothing. The pain is awful and I also haven't had a good nights sleep since the surgery - 3 months!!! I was just pushing through the pain but it isn't getting better.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #156
(female)

dinojen HB User

Morning Guys and Gals...
Grumpy how ya doing? You too Matter and everyone else?

Well old Dino is at 120 days post op as of the 15th.. and doing relatively well.
Nights still are the worst. It's no problem getting to sleep, it's when you wake up and realize you have been in one position too long.. but I have managed to learn to sleep on my operated side with my knee straight or bent.. it's just getting it straight that takes awhile...lol.

Went to the city SF on Saturday to celebrate our anniversary.. 30 years.. and had a beautiful dinner.. the kicker was, while we took a cab to the restaurant, I WALKED back to the hotel which I have to admit impressed myself. Took my cane just in case..(fear of concrete).. didn't really use it .. hubby just thought it would be a good idea and he was right. Daily I do fine walking.. I admire those of you that exercise do diligently. I really need to make a better effort at working out, but by the time I get home from work I am pooped.

As for the kneeling, I have no issue really kneeling on my operated knee but then it isn't for a long period of time, but I can get down on it and put pressure on it. Flex is great.. and I think I finally got my extension equal to my right leg, this weekend had horribly burning behind my knee and now it's gone and I noticed my leg really has great extension.

Get cramps in my calves like crazy..nothing horrible.. but flex my ankle up and down and they usually go away... otherwise I really don't have any huge complaints.. still glad I did it.. would do it all over again.

Still take darvocets when I feel the need.. it's usually after being on my leg for a long long period of time or of course at night... but it's not even a daily basis any longer.

Now if I could just get my lazy butt to exercise more it would be great I'm sure. Soon as we get our California weather back I'm hitting the pool.. they say that is the best exercise.

One great thing about this whole thing is the weight loss...... Now I just need to keep going.

Wishing you all well... pilates sounds good...think I might try that also.

Well going to do a few stretching exercises before I hit the shower and head for work, just wanted to check in on you all.

Will check back after work... happy PT to all of you that are still going ..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #157
(female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User

Hey Dinojen ! Glad to hear from you - Talked about my pain issues on Matter's TKR post, so won't repeat it here. Have the same issues as you with the sleeping positions... Good to hear you are doing well and had a good anniversary. Wish you were telling me that you had no pain at all. It would be something to look forward to. I am too impatient, I am only at 35 days post-op and I want to be better now!

My new PT is working on extension and I can already see and feel and improvement. So far she is working out great. I need to work out and walk more, but I am so tired from the Percocets.... and I know I am not eating enough, but just have no appetite. On the other hand, I am down almost 20 lbs since Christmas. So you take the good with the bad...

Have a good day. G@home

Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #158
(female)

dinojen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyathome View Post
Hey Dinojen ! Glad to hear from you - Talked about my pain issues on Matter's TKR post, so won't repeat it here. Have the same issues as you with the sleeping positions... Good to hear you are doing well and had a good anniversary. Wish you were telling me that you had no pain at all. It would be something to look forward to. I am too impatient, I am only at 35 days post-op and I want to be better now!

My new PT is working on extension and I can already see and feel and improvement. So far she is working out great. I need to work out and walk more, but I am so tired from the Percocets.... and I know I am not eating enough, but just have no appetite. On the other hand, I am down almost 20 lbs since Christmas. So you take the good with the bad...

Have a good day. G@home

Trust me the pain diminishes.. it really does.. the pain I have now isn't really pain.. it's just an annoyance and not even half as bad as i was before the surgery.. so this I will take... My doc. keeps saying by six months is when you really really notice the difference. Two more months to see if he was fibbing...lol.

Take care and I'll check in tonite.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #159
(female)

south girl HB User

Hi to you all! Thanks for your replies! This thread is terriffic. At PT yesterday they said I was doing great. Extension lacks just a couple points and flex 120. They said to increase my exercises up to 20 times each and to start on the bike for 5-10 min., so I did, but today is terrible. Only went through the exercises once today and the muscles are so tight and sore I can hardly walk. Feels just like you said, ladyscout, a tendon bunched up and rubbing on the implant. I hope with backing off my exercises for a day or 2 and then increasing slowly will help. I sincerely hope you can find a solution, ladyscout. My best wishes to you all!!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #160
(female)

twoparrot HB User

Hello all...I just found this post this weekend. It has answered so many questions. I have not had my TKR yet, it was first scheduled for Jan. 4th, but my bp skyrocketed, then rescheduled for Feb. 1st...again a no go...I have been dealing with this knee for 3 years now, 2 scopes (nothing), symvisc (nothing)...Have found a new Dr. and have appt w/him on Monday the 1st of march. Is anyone here from NH? Just in case this doc doesn't work, I am wondering if any of you can reccomend, someone from southern NH. Thank you Dawn

Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #161
(female)

ladyscout HB User

I go to another doc. for a second opinion on March 2nd and then back to my surgeon on March 9th. By then I should have some ans. I'm going on a 10 day cruise March 26th. I figured that was 4 months and I'd read that most people are really feeling better - not a 100% - but significantly better by then. Hope so! My last cruise was in Oct. through the Panama Canal from L.A. to Puerto Rico and I did stuff but was really hurting. I've bought flats to wear in the evening because I'm sure heels are out :-(

Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #162
(female)

alaskelly HB User

Greetings from Alaska ~ So great to read of everyone's accomplishments & not feel so alone when I'm experiencing the same setbacks. I had my 6 week check-up last Tuesday at the 10 week mark! A month ago I could not have flown in a small plane & do those rickety stairs. My BiLat TKR was done in Anchorage which is 225 road miles from here & 117 as the eagle flies in what feels like a mini-van with wings! But my good news is the surgeon was really pleased with my progress. I too took my cane but did not need to use it and I had some fairly long walks in the airport & even on the medical campus between buildings. Went up to the surgical floor & saw a lot of the crew who took care of me. I must look much better w/o bed head & wearing street clothes! And not crying! I was able to walk down the hall & do a pirouette and when I came to the practice stairs that truly defeated me on days 2 & 3 in Dec. I went up foot over foot and really didn't mind that my descending was not very smooth! It was a super visit as I really could not imagine I'd be here (0 ext, 128-130 flex) 2 months later. They were the nicest group of people & I just sent a letter to their boss and cc'd to others at the hospital admin. My surgeon was excellent but the support staff are amazing special people. As are you all --

But then I woke up the next day ....... oh how sore my legs were OW OW OW. I tried my home exercises (OW OW) I had iceman'd & elevated throughout the night but push came to shove & I took two pain pills.

Which brings to this point -- I sooooo appreciate hearing that many of you still need something stronger than OTC tylenol or ibuprofen because the "break through pain" is absolutely the worst. The first month I lived by the pill bottle & my watch! Second month not as much. But at this checkup and even at PT the other day -- I was advised to get a stronger anti-inflammatory and that I really should not be needing narcotics . Well - yeah -- I wish that were so but when I'm in that much hurt I can't push through the pain. Somedays I do and it's like I never had the surgery. It hurts to move like it use to & I might not exercise for a couple of days because of it. I know some days that I have done to much to soon - once I've stretched & warmed up I really feel invincible! But am learning to pace myself. I went to my family practicioner and she was comfortable with a limited prescription of the hydrocodone. She said surgeons often leave the pain management up to the personal physician and not to take it personally that I still need something stronger. She was really sweet -- hello - you had 2 knees replaced! Like everyone says on these boards -- it does get better & I've seen proof of that in me, too.

Like dinojen - I get cramps too and ankle pumps & knee slides have helped me. The PT is talking about customized compression hose as my legs seem to have sprouted bumpy varicose veins and do feel very tired. I am heavy but am working out at Curves 2-3 times a week (very slow & careful with certain exercises - like I was in the beginning 3 years ago - I've dropped to the weight I was when I quit working out last summer and also lost some inches so that is encouraging), take slow almost daily walks with hubby & the dog (about 20 -30 minutes - chanting heel-toe heel-toe .... relax the shoulders ... bend the knees ..... swing the arms .....!)

Well - I am off to town & the library, post office, Curves. PS: my balance is not very good. At PT they have some machine that I stand on like a human joystick & move the cursor on the screen to different boxes or tracing circles. I've been walking on uneven surfaces -- kind of like gel filled circle things. I've been so focused on walking and flexing that I forget about balancing and scar care. Has anyone else had problems with that? If I got stopped for a routine check I'd fail a sobriety test (EDITED TEXT: not because I drink & drive I have strict standards about that and I won't while I'm on pain pills either) -- I can't stand on one leg very long if at all - much less shut my eyes & touch my nose. It's getting better with practice but it really surprised me as I took it for granted before the surgery.

Thanks for reading -- Keep getting weller & weller. I look forward to chatting with you again. Thank you soooo much for being here!

Last edited by alaskelly; 02-25-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: want to clarify statement

Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #163
(female)

Jeanob HB User

Hi all,
I really love getting on this site and reading what you are sharing. My question is Have any of you had TKR followed by hip replacement? Some of you may have read some of my posts. To reacap: I had bilateral TKR on Dec. 8. About 10 hours later I had bilateral strokes due to extremely low blood pressure. Then coma for about 7 days, followed by hospital therapy etc. I came home after 27 days and my knees are wonderful. I have very little knee pain BUT the strokes caused right side weakness and then the right hip (it was bad before surgery)got much worse. My pt people kept having to change/adjust my exercises because of hip pain. No bike riding for me because it irritates the hip. In fact, they all “heard” the hip grinding as I was trying to do the exercises etc, So, I am still on a walker. I do not have a lot of strength on the right side …and I don’t know if it’s the hip or the strokes. I think it is the hip. Sitting is very uncomfortable…sleeping is worse. I saw my surgeon last week . He is very pleased with the knees He will replace the hip as soon as my internist gives his permission. So, I am waiting for that. I am scared to death as I do not want to relive my last surgery difficulties. Yet, my hip is causing so much pain…groin, shin, ankle etc. It hurts to sit, hurts to sleep etc. I am trying to stay with no more than 3 Norco a day…but some days 3 just isn’t enough. I’d love to go to the heated pool at the park district but I don’t think I have the strength to walk without the walker in the pool Do any of you have any ideas of things I could do to help until surgery ?
Thanks for all your wonderful ideas and earlier posts. They keep me in touch with what is “normal” for many of us. I look forward to the day I can say I am on a cane or even...walking without one.
Jean

Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #164
(male)

beerhunters HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyscout View Post
I go to another doc. for a second opinion on March 2nd and then back to my surgeon on March 9th. By then I should have some ans. I'm going on a 10 day cruise March 26th. I figured that was 4 months and I'd read that most people are really feeling better - not a 100% - but significantly better by then. Hope so! My last cruise was in Oct. through the Panama Canal from L.A. to Puerto Rico and I did stuff but was really hurting. I've bought flats to wear in the evening because I'm sure heels are out :-(
the PT told me to buy a real good pair of walking shoes, I bought a pair of new balance, what a difference they make

Last edited by beerhunters; 02-25-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #165
(female)

fantail HB Userfantail HB Userfantail HB User

Hi Alaskelly
I have on occasion overdone things and really paid for it - like you. Awake all night with pain - taking lots of pain relief, using heat pack to try to ease bone pain etc but find as time passes - 11 months post op now - that it is happening less and less. My last big 'flare up' was at Christmas when I well and truly overdid it. Made that time rather trying and exhausting for me. I find I just have to stop and rest for a couple of days and then when pain free again get back into everything. I do have a big day coming up soon and am a little concerned, but hope it will go well and will try and rest periodically throughout the day.
Way to go Ladyscout - hope you have a fabulous cruise. I went to Australia (our nearest neighbour) at 4 months and was really thrilled by how much I could manage and enjoy on my travels. Plan to go again later this year and know I will be even more mobile!
Jeanob so sorry to hear of your trials and hope you can get that hip fixed soon. I've been having trouble with the hip on my other side and wonder how much is to do with having a better extension on my new knee and being slightly lop sided when I walk as a result. My PT tells me it won't make any difference but I do wonder.
Just got to get my back right and I will be really happy. Am working on improving my core muscles to help support it and hope that will help.
Margaret

Closed Thread