It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
(female)

ladyscout HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement Recovery

Thank you sooooo much for the words. After another night of little sleep, my son, a friend and their 2 cats arrived last night I'm trying to be "perky" as they get used to my cat and dog. Tis the season to be jolly but darn this is hard. Were you going to the store and walking a lot at 5 weeks?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
(male)

trapperwv1 HB User

14 days post op and all is going as expected, swelling itching a little pain with certain movements. Outpatient therapy starts monday and I have some apprehension as I have been through this before. Just remember they only hurt you for a minute at a time and most therapist are compassionate and have a sense of humoras long as you work with them. My original complaint of the bone on bone pain is gone, just like that. I talked to a lot of patients in the hospital at the PT area and all first knee patients were hurting and seemed to think things would magically go away. They do with a lot of work an understanding that the surgical pain goes away in short order. Try to get away from your pain meds as soon as possible, but if you are in pain make sure you use them and don't be afraid to ask for what you need your doc wont make you a junkie they know the limitations. This surgery is amazing and when taken care of properly will let you lead a life with very few restrictions, common sense will dictate that you don't want to tear up the surgeons work cause it is hard to fix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
(male)

trapperwv1 HB User

your cane needs to be adjusted, happened to me and this corrected it

Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
(male)

trapperwv1 HB User

if you really need the meds see a reputable pain management doc

Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
(female)

ladyscout HB User

OMG - 14 days and you are feeling that chirper? This isn't your first so maybe that is the difference as you mentioned but the thought of a second knee is unthinkable right now. I have found that giving up most of the percocet and davorcet have helped my emotions calm down and accept the pain a bit better.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
(female)

jmlm4245 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyscout View Post
OMG - 14 days and you are feeling that chirper? This isn't your first so maybe that is the difference as you mentioned but the thought of a second knee is unthinkable right now. I have found that giving up most of the percocet and davorcet have helped my emotions calm down and accept the pain a bit better.

I'm 33 days post-op. I had a PT come to my house for 2 weeks after being released from the hospital. She finally told me that I would probably do well by myself since I have been active all my life. I taught step class, low and high impact aerobics (probably my downfall) and finally was certified to teach Pilates about ten years ago. With all that, I was not prepared with the pain and frustration of this surgery.

My workout is about 1 hour a day to very loud Disco music. I'm always flexing during the icing, about 5 times a day for 30-45 minutes. I also sleep with the ice machine on until the ice is gone. I'm afraid I'm going to be addicted to the sucking sound it makes. I limited myself to the pain meds in the beginning because I knew I would probably push myself with the PT. I take one pain pill a day about 30 minutes before my therapy. I hope they last until this mess is over.

I actually went out to our club on New Years Eve. My husband and I play golf,(one of the few activities recommended post surgery). I don't swim very well, so I guess I'll ride my cart into the sunset.

I appear to be the normal recovery. I don't use a cane or walker anymore, and I do drive to the store and back. Most of the time though, I have to go down after doing too much.

I also use a topical OTC gel called Arnica Montana. Even my doc was amazed when I went in for the staple removal. He wrote down the name. All the bruising was gone from the tourniquets they have to use in surgery. There were huge bruises on my thigh and calf, but they were gone in a week or so. It also helps with pain and swelling.

Let's keep everyone posted about our recovery.

Linda

Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #22
(female)

Frannyia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlm4245 View Post
I'm 33 days post-op. I had a PT come to my house for 2 weeks after being released from the hospital. She finally told me that I would probably do well by myself since I have been active all my life. I taught step class, low and high impact aerobics (probably my downfall) and finally was certified to teach Pilates about ten years ago. With all that, I was not prepared with the pain and frustration of this surgery.

My workout is about 1 hour a day to very loud Disco music. I'm always flexing during the icing, about 5 times a day for 30-45 minutes. I also sleep with the ice machine on until the ice is gone. I'm afraid I'm going to be addicted to the sucking sound it makes. I limited myself to the pain meds in the beginning because I knew I would probably push myself with the PT. I take one pain pill a day about 30 minutes before my therapy. I hope they last until this mess is over.

I actually went out to our club on New Years Eve. My husband and I play golf,(one of the few activities recommended post surgery). I don't swim very well, so I guess I'll ride my cart into the sunset.

I appear to be the normal recovery. I don't use a cane or walker anymore, and I do drive to the store and back. Most of the time though, I have to go down after doing too much.

I also use a topical OTC gel called Arnica Montana. Even my doc was amazed when I went in for the staple removal. He wrote down the name. All the bruising was gone from the tourniquets they have to use in surgery. There were huge bruises on my thigh and calf, but they were gone in a week or so. It also helps with pain and swelling.

Let's keep everyone posted about our recovery.

Linda
I'm 16 days out of my second knee. First was a year ago. I was worried that recovery wouldn't go as well as last time, but am doing very well. The walker is on the patio and the cane is somewhere in the house. The "too" many inches of snow over Christmas makes it necessary to take the walker when going out, falling is not an option. Last year I was working hard to recoup to get back to the classroom and do student trips. I was back to teaching chem in less than 6 weeks. This year I want to get back to doing volunteering, being independent with driving, etc.
The best advice is to do exercises and stretches at least twice a day. Yes it hurts, but gets better. Make an effort to walk without a limp. Remember, this new knee is more secure than the one we have been walking on before. There is pain, but different from what it was before.
Last time after the wound healed,I was able, to do warm water pool therapy and was able to continue on my own at the facility after the weeks of therapy were completed. Doing personal water walking and stretching therapy for 3-4 months after the new knee really helped. Good luck to all.
I'm sorry to hear that some of you have had difficulty with conflicting information from doctors and therapist. The hospital sent a notebook with and a recommended exercise schedule. It has been extremely helpful. Therapist have added to these. The hospital I went to also had a JOINT CAMP, where those of us who had surgery on the same day went twice a day and did therapy together along with our own coach. It really helped to encourage one another and be able to see others in the same position. This time I went to the same hospital because of the joint camp and its positive nature.
Good Luck to all.
Frannyia

Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #23
(female)

Frannyia HB User

I had my second knee on Dec 16. The other was Dec 15, '08. I was lucky and am lucky this time also and rehab went very well. I attribute this to beginning therapy at the hospital and continuing at least twice a day thereafter. Everyone is different and so is every knee. Stretching, icing, and working through the discomfort are important.

Last year, one of the best part of therapy was the warm water therapy pool. I did about 2 weeks of that before going back to the classroom last year (5.5 weeks after surgery). After that I was able to go workout in the pool at least twice a week, doing my own therapy for about 3 more months.

I am walking without walker or cane. When going outside in the snow, I will continue to take the walker for stability for a few more weeks. I also am doing stairs using the handrails.

Good luck to you. Don't be afraid to take your pain meds, just don't overdo them.

Frannyia

Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #24
(female)

jmlm4245 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frannyia View Post
I had my second knee on Dec 16. The other was Dec 15, '08. I was lucky and am lucky this time also and rehab went very well. I attribute this to beginning therapy at the hospital and continuing at least twice a day thereafter. Everyone is different and so is every knee. Stretching, icing, and working through the discomfort are important.

Last year, one of the best part of therapy was the warm water therapy pool. I did about 2 weeks of that before going back to the classroom last year (5.5 weeks after surgery). After that I was able to go workout in the pool at least twice a week, doing my own therapy for about 3 more months.

I am walking without walker or cane. When going outside in the snow, I will continue to take the walker for stability for a few more weeks. I also am doing stairs using the handrails.

Good luck to you. Don't be afraid to take your pain meds, just don't overdo them.

I really hate the pain meds. I really don't see how anyone could get addicted to them. Did you have a excessive amount of fluid on your knee? Sometimes it swells with fluid, mainly on the right side, and the only thing that helps is ice. How long does this last? Are you on any anti-inflammatory drugs? Aleve, celebrex, etc. After doing the blood thinning shots for 21 days, (my husband was the shot giver, and he was shaking with every shot. Thank God they're over!), I wonder if I should take an anti-inflammatory drug. I called my on call doctor today with no answer.

I walked about a mile yesterday with my sweet dog, and my hip and back are screaming at me today. Is it normal to have such hip pain? Please don't tell me I may need hip replacement!

Frannyia

Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
(female)

JJJules40 HB User

I took the full 12 weeks I could off work and I am so glad I did. I also sit at a desk most of the day...people think it will be easy for you because you sit...but it isn't so...sitting is hard...I still have a lot of swelling at the end of the day. Patience is the key work I think with the healing process.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #26
(female)

Frannyia HB User

I take advil as an anti inflamitory.

My therapist last year said hip and back pain are because we aren't walking correctly, such as heel toe, or favoring the new knee although we don't realize it. I'm sorry you took shots for 21 days. My doctor only had me take the shots for 7 days total. (I did the shots myself. Not fun.)

The six weeks off work last year was fine for me. As a teacher I wasn't at a desk very much. On lab days, sit down time is rare. The hardest part was riding in a bus for 20 hrs. overnight with students for a NASA competition. I wore the ted hose a lot during work and on the trip. This really helped with the swelling. Yes they are not the most fun, but they were well worth the effort. I have now found some support hose that are like pantyhose, which minimizes that 'roll down' problem with ted hose.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #27
(female)

Frannyia HB User

The back and hip pain that someone mentioned, my therapist has told me comes from not walking quite correctly yet. Maybe they can give you some suggestions.

For swelling, have you continued to use the ted hose part of the time? I found they really helped. They aren't fun, but certainly make the legs feel better. I had used them prior to surgery to give my knee more support when teaching and on my feet a lot.

I also used them when traveling to keep swelling down. (I have had trouble with swelling prior, its hereditary.)

I have found some support hose that are like panty hose. They minimize that 'roll down' effect and are much more comfortable. I Googled them.

As to what I use for swelling now, Advil is the choice.

My biggest problem yesterday and today is that the steri-strips that replaced the staples are all coming off too rapidly. I have replaced them with butterfly closures for now. The surgical site just looks like it needs more time to heal and more support.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
(female)

jmlm4245 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frannyia View Post
The back and hip pain that someone mentioned, my therapist has told me comes from not walking quite correctly yet. Maybe they can give you some suggestions.

For swelling, have you continued to use the ted hose part of the time? I found they really helped. They aren't fun, but certainly make the legs feel better. I had used them prior to surgery to give my knee more support when teaching and on my feet a lot.

I also used them when traveling to keep swelling down. (I have had trouble with swelling prior, its hereditary.)

I have found some support hose that are like panty hose. They minimize that 'roll down' effect and are much more comfortable. I Googled them.

As to what I use for swelling now, Advil is the choice.

My biggest problem yesterday and today is that the steri-strips that replaced the staples are all coming off too rapidly. I have replaced them with butterfly closures for now. The surgical site just looks like it needs more time to heal and more support.
My staples were out in 2 weeks and although red it had closed properly. I used the Arnica Montana and it looks pretty good today. What are the Ted hose? I was not told about them. Will the advil also help with the fluid?

Linda

Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #29
(female)

ladyscout HB User

I had shots to prevent blood clots for 10 days but after I got home from the nursing facility I just couldn't do it and stopped at 7 days. Figured I'd stay more active on my own - it worked - I'm alive.
I'm 7 weeks post-op. I go the PT, out-patient, 3 x's a week and to my gym the other days to ride the bike and get into the hot tub and exercise. I'm also having a heck of a time walking right. It's like learning all over again and my hip, back, neck are in so much pain. I'm still waking up, moving, stretching every hour of the night. I have been driving, carefully, and getting to the store (the cart is like a big walker!) and that lifts my spirits.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
(female)

Frannyia HB User

Hope it's warmer where you are. Ice is our problem and it won't go away anytime soon, so I will allow my husband to take me places for awhile since its not quite 3 weeks.

My therapist today looked at the scar and said it in very good shape, only one spot looked like it needed a butterfly closure for a while longer.

The TED HOSE are those wonderful support stockings they give you at the hospital that are such a pain. As stated before, I got some better ones and wore them after returning to work last year. They really helped with the swelling.

If you can find somewhere with a warm water (about 89 degree) pool and do exercises and water walking for a few months, I believe it will help you. It allows you to do the exercises to build your muscles without as much active stress on your new knee.

Keep up the exercises a couple times a day at home but don't overdo it. There is a point of diminishing benefits. Icing and Advil are good.

Last edited by Frannyia; 01-04-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: need to add info

Closed Thread