It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #361
(female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement Recovery

Hi Nervous12345 - I read your post and to be honest most of it (except the fever and blood in the urine) looks to be standard operating procedure for a TKR recovery. Read what the other ladies and guys have said, they have most of it covered.

One thing I did about the constipation in addition to some doses of stool softeners, is I kept a tub of pitted prunes next to my bed and snacked on them - often... I also ate a lot of fruit - bananas, applesauce were easy and my favorites. I always tried to have a little of something before I took a pain pill. I didn't get my appetite back until a couple of weeks ago, and I'm at 4 1/2 months. I lost 25 lbs and would like to keep it off.

You need the pain pills - talk to your doc. The first month or so is very painful. Don't try to be brave. I started with Percocet, then went to Norco, then arthritis tylenol. Yes there was probably some addiction, but I tapered off slowly and am now fine. I take tylenol and an occassional Norco - (1 in the past month after a 12 hour day at Disney). I can not take NSAIDS, so I am stuck with tylenol or the hard stuff.

My first week post op - I wrote a post "TKR - what it would have helped to know beforehand". it has been updated as I progressed. You might find it helpful, some of it you have probably already already experianced. Also, a lot of stuff has been covered in Matter's post "TKR".

Be Patient! This is a long process. Whenever I complain to my Doc, she says " It takes a year!" I know that I really didn't start to feel human again until about 4 months.

Grumpyathome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #362
(male)

beerhunters HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyathome View Post
Hi Nervous12345 - I read your post and to be honest most of it (except the fever and blood in the urine) looks to be standard operating procedure for a TKR recovery. Read what the other ladies and guys have said, they have most of it covered.

One thing I did about the constipation in addition to some doses of stool softeners, is I kept a tub of pitted prunes next to my bed and snacked on them - often... I also ate a lot of fruit - bananas, applesauce were easy and my favorites. I always tried to have a little of something before I took a pain pill. I didn't get my appetite back until a couple of weeks ago, and I'm at 4 1/2 months. I lost 25 lbs and would like to keep it off.

You need the pain pills - talk to your doc. The first month or so is very painful. Don't try to be brave. I started with Percocet, then went to Norco, then arthritis tylenol. Yes there was probably some addiction, but I tapered off slowly and am now fine. I take tylenol and an occassional Norco - (1 in the past month after a 12 hour day at Disney). I can not take NSAIDS, so I am stuck with tylenol or the hard stuff.

My first week post op - I wrote a post "TKR - what it would have helped to know beforehand". it has been updated as I progressed. You might find it helpful, some of it you have probably already already experianced. Also, a lot of stuff has been covered in Matter's post "TKR".

Be Patient! This is a long process. Whenever I complain to my Doc, she says " It takes a year!" I know that I really didn't start to feel human again until about 4 months.

Grumpyathome
I am now at 7 months, the only pain I have is the back pain caused by the surgery, the day after my back was hurting so bad, ribs sticking out, something happened and it stills give me issues, the chiro puts them back in and I get immediate relief untill it happens again

Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #363
(female)

nervous12345 HB User

Thanks Linda. It is now 10 days post surgical. Pain has reducd significantly, however i still have to take the tylenol 3 sometmes during the day. I have PT in Home . The Therapist states I am doing pretty well and I am pretty strong. He got my bend to about 95 degrees, flexion is still nowhere close to 0, better than -8 though. I can sitstand and walk with the walker. I wash myself, but need asistance from my caregiver for the rest.

I feel Soooooooooooo tired and whipped all thetime.

Trying to get prepared forthe Dr. visit Friday. I am blessed because the swelling is going down, no seepage as of yet from the surgical site, and the area is not hot...is a little warm though.

One of my BIG problems now is constipation.

Thank you for your Kindness,

Nervous12345

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #364
(female)

nervous12345 HB User

Thanks Linda. It is now 10 days post surgical. Pain has reducd significantly, however i still have to take the tylenol 3 sometmes during the day. I have PT in Home . The Therapist states I am doing pretty well and I am pretty strong. He got my bend to about 95 degrees, flexion is still nowhere close to 0, better than -8 though. I can sitstand and walk with the walker. I wash myself, but need asistance from my caregiver for the rest.

Trying to get prepared forthe Dr. visit Friday. I am blessed because the swelling is going down, no seepage as of yet from the surgical site, and the area is not hot...is a little warm though.

Nervous12345

Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #365
(female)

nervous12345 HB User

BearSher,
Thank you so much for your post and support. Yes our bodies have been thrtough literal HELL. I hope this site stays here and a a family we can help each other through this.

Your the best, Nervous12345

Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #366
(female)

nervous12345 HB User
Smile Re: Total Knee Replacement Recovery

Thanks Melissa,

Your comments hit home.So much of what you have experienced , I now am experiencing. I Just pray every day for itto get better. I am working hard, but sometimes it feels that I am not gaining much ground. I cry at amoments notice for no reason...I am an emotional wreck.

I was also very active,and now feeling like an invalid i just have a hard time accepting it. I try and do my PT at home 2 x's a day but the pain is pretty messed up. I am trying to cut down on the tylenol 3 to help with the constipation. I am eating pitted prunes. The 4th dy without using the bathroom (BM) I drank a bottle of citrate of magnesia. It seemed like it cleared some out, but who knows. Since then I have used suppositories ( which dont work). Tonite I will take a correctol and see if that will help.

I value your supportand look forward to your next post.

thanks,
Nervous

Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #367
(female)

dsr2010 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous12345 View Post

Nervous12345
My little recipe for the constipation was ground flax seed. I made a cocktail with plum juice and it really worked for me -- twice a day. I think the constipation was the worst part about the first two week. By the way -- sounds like you are progressing nicely!

Last edited by dsr2010; 05-27-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #368
(female)

jmlm4245 HB User

nervous,

I'll be PO 7 months on the 1st of June. I played 24 holes of golf on Friday, cleaned my closet (it's big) Saturday, boxed up 60 pairs of pants for charity and played nine holes Sunday. I'm down 2 sizes and almost had "pants on the floor" several times so cleaning my closet was dire. I remember the excruciating pain that I went through the first month. But little by little the hurting stopped. There was an old song I loved way back when called "One Day at a Time". I found myself humming that tune a whole lot in the first few months. Finally one day I woke up, and no pain. I still ice when I overdo, but mostly I just feel so glad I had the surgery, my ongoing comment to friends and family is, "why did I wait so long?

Keep up the good work. You will get better everyday. Remember, we are all here to help and support you.

Linda

Last edited by jmlm4245; 05-24-2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #369
(female)

dsr2010 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous12345 View Post

Thanks Melissa,

Your comments hit home.So much of what you have experienced , I now am experiencing. I Just pray every day for itto get better. I am working hard, but sometimes it feels that I am not gaining much ground. I cry at amoments notice for no reason...I am an emotional wreck.

I was also very active,and now feeling like an invalid i just have a hard time accepting it. I try and do my PT at home 2 x's a day but the pain is pretty messed up. I am trying to cut down on the tylenol 3 to help with the constipation. I am eating pitted prunes. The 4th dy without using the bathroom (BM) I drank a bottle of citrate of magnesia. It seemed like it cleared some out, but who knows. Since then I have used suppositories ( which dont work). Tonite I will take a correctol and see if that will help.

I value your supportand look forward to your next post.

thanks,
Nervous
Oh Melissa I sympathize! I remember crying all the time too. This will pass. I used Dulcolax Suppositories along with drinkiing plum juice with ground flax seed. I did tha twice a day and it worked like a charm.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #370
(female)

ladyscout HB User

I felt so much for you. I'm also active - did a 100 mile bike ride 2 months before the surgery - couldn't walk but could bike. I also felt like an invalid! I stopped all pain pills at about 2 months because I was soooo emotional and the no BM's were both killing my spirit. I'm back to biking (30+ miles), traveling, etc. I still don't sleep well (need a backpacking pillow between my knees) and I have back pain (didn't have this before) and I also have a tendon/ligament rubbing that causes me terrible pain but.....the actual knee is really shaping up (6 mos. PO). I'm trying to wait out the ligament deal till Sept. to see if it takes care of itself - if not surgery. Can't deal with surgery again yet. I did formal PT about 2 months (2x a day on my own also) , then went to the gym on my own. I felt I could decide what I needed. I have 130+ and great straighting my leg. Hang in there - get off the pain medication and your emotional and BM will start returning to normal. I did take Ambien to sleep. That pill works for me and a good nights sleep is so important to feeling well.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #371
(female)

Crisonya HB User

How are things going now? I had mine RTK on April 16th, so it is going on 6 weeks. WAlking with cane and almost without altho my knee feels like it is 50 lbs carrying around. I haven't been released to go back to work due to can't sit very long, get stiff. Does anyone know how long this will last?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #372
(male)

beerhunters HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisonya View Post
How are things going now? I had mine TKR on April 16th, so it is going on 6 weeks. WAlking with cane and almost without altho my knee feels like it is 50 lbs carrying around. I haven't been released to go back to work due to can't sit very long, get stiff. Does anyone know how long this will last?
just keep moving, I am at 8 months, do alot of walking, u have to get the muscles back in shape and working again

Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #373
(female)

dontlikemyknee HB User

Hi everyone, this site has been extremely helpful. Like many, I can relate to many stories on here. I had a TKR July 2009. Long painful recovery to date. I am due to go back to hospital in 2 days time for what they call, investigate and removal of a mass.
I have been told by a friends doctor that it is most likely scar tissue. I am hoping this is the case and once removed, things will improve dramatically.
My story is long and boring, so all I really want to know is, has anyone encountered scar tissue and had to have it removed. If so, was this successful?
Many thanks.

Closed Thread