It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
(female)

mtb1218 HB User
Total Knee Replacement Recovery

I had TKR of my right knee the end of October. I thought I would be back to work after about 4 weeks but I'm still not. It is very difficult to sit for any length of time and I sit at a desk all day for my job. Anyone have any suggestions? My PT is going well. Flexion is 120 degrees and extension is at 0 so I'm moving along. It is still hard to sleep through the night and sometimes I have insomnia. When I do all my PT, I pay for it with swelling and stiffness. I still consistently use a bike and I'm walking a mile every day. For some reason, I just can't settle myself down to attempt to go back to work. Depression and anxiety have been a slight problem because I thought I would be further along than I am so that doesn't help matters any. My doctor will no longer prescribe any "good" meds so I'm stuck with Tylenol! That barely takes the edge off when I do my PT.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mtb1218
lalapamela (08-11-2011), Newkneegal (01-17-2011)
Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
(female)

fussytail HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement Recovery

Iknow what you mean. I had surgery Nov 4th and still can't sit very long without pain. I suppose to go back to work the first of the year and am very worriedd about putting in a full day when I can't even go to a movie yet. Your doing better than me. My flex is at 8% and my bend at 98%. I was told that once I reach 100% bend it will be a lot easier. But I see that is not so by your info. I guess time will tell. I go for my 6 wk check up next week and I sure hope I still can get the good meds for PT.

Last edited by fussytail; 12-12-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

mtb1218 HB User

Thanks for the reply. At least I don't feel alone in this whole thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtb1218 For This Useful Post:
Jodiez (05-20-2012)
Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

GaterGal HB User

This may sound heretical, but do you think you are exercising too much everyday? Maybe walking a mile everyday is overkill. How fast do you walk? I'm sure there are those who will say keep walking! But everyone is different. Maybe your body is telling you it needs more healing time and less activity. Just a thought.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
(female)

dpbruner HB User

Good heavens! I think you are expecting too much too soon. I'm at 6 mo. postop and doing great, but it didn't get this great till about 4 mo. Have got 134 degrees flexion and can still get more. Keep up the good work, but don't overdo.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

Are you using moist heat before your exercise and ice packs afterwards?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
(female)

BlueHydrangea HB User

How soon after the surgery can you start using moist heat? I think this might help the tightness and make it easier to do the flex exercises. No one mentioned this to me but sounds like a good idea as long as it's ok to do it now. I'm almost 2 weeks post op. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

I was about 3 weeks post op when they started giving me moist heat at PT. After the exercises, they applied ice. I do this now (I'm about 10 - 11 weeks post op. The moist heat seems to make me more flexible when I exercise and the ice helps with the swelling.

I went a couple of days without exercise and that was a bad thing to do! I felt as tho I digressed. I had been moving without my rolling cane for the better part of the day and could walk alone, in a parking lot, to get a cart when I shop. But right now I'm back to the rolling cane just about all day .I did exercise today and will be back into the routine tomorrow. Hopefully all the movement will get me back to where I was before.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
(female)

BlueHydrangea HB User

Thanks. I'm still doing home PT so will ask my therapist when she comes here tomorrow. I'm suddenly experiencing problems with my lower back. On Thursday could barely move when I woke up. The PT was here that day and she somehow fixed it so I thought all was well. Today I bent slightly over to pick something up and think I've hurt it again because I can barely move again. Fortunately she's coming again tomorrow but wonder if back problems are common with TKR's? It may be the way I'm moving at night? Not sure but wonder if there's something I'm doing that's causing this?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

When I went to a rolling cane from the walker, was when I began to have back pain. It was on the side where I leaned on the cane, so I wondered if the pressure was doing it. When I was getting around the house without any aid, the back pain eased up. I did find that a heating pad, when I was sitting, helped the back --- also a good smear of Tiger Balm at night.

I also got shoulder pain when I used a low chair or the regular toilet -- not the raised one. Getting up from that low position put a lot of pressure on both shoulders.

Oh -- about toilets. (sorry for the topic!) We were away for a day, and at the rest areas, I used the handicap toilets as they had bars to help getting up and down. But at the hotel, where we stayed, there was really nothing to grab onto to help get up. I didn't want to put pressure on the toilet paper fixture. It was difficult, and last night my shoulders were really painful.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
(female)

mtb1218 HB User

I'm walking 3.0-3.5 MPH. I have now decided that I will workout possibly every other day and see how that goes. I'm also dealing with vericous veins that came on after my surgery. Yuk! Any suggestions for getting sleep at night?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
(female)

mtb1218 HB User

I do alot of stretching and warm up before I workout and then I definitely ice after the workout. I also do more slow stretching after I workout.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
(female)

megsmum HB User

Oh how glad I have seen your thread, I had TKR 25th November (3wks tomorrow) and like you have been and am in great pain esp after Physio. I am now at 90degress.

I am unsure as to what I am supposed to do, eg sit and rest or walk around, each seems to bring its own probs, ie stiffness and weakness in leg. Im sure after the exercises that I have overstretched it or something so how far are you supposed to go, they say discomfort, not pain, both the same to me.

I have been told not to return to work till end Jan when off crutches because of exterior stairs but cannot settle to do anything at the moment as cannot get comfy.

They do not tell you really what to expect, just that progress is slow, but find it really frustrating having to rely on others although know that I am not physically up to much.

Hope you are progressing reasonably and poss think of going back to work as and when you are up to it, dont know about you but not going to rush anything in fear of having to go through this AGAIN.

All the best and if it makes you feel any better, two other people were due after me weekly so at least we are ahead of them!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
(female)

ladyscout HB User

My TKR was Nov. 17the (4 weeks). I'm still in awful pain but I'm going PT 3 times a week (many times I'm in tears where a nerve is hit but the therapist says this is normal and I just have to slowly stretch the soft tissue). I also do exercises at home 3 x's a day that the PT gave me. My bend is 130 but my straight leg isn't as good. I'm so sick of pain and just being at home. I'm not a sitter, hard to concentrate on a book and TV is so bad. I just wait for each day to be over because I know I'll feel just a little bit better as the time passes. It helps to hear that I'm not a baby and that others know how difficult this all is. My "other" wanted me to go on a cruise at 8 weeks post-op and that tells me he has no idea of the discomfort I'm feeling. This makes me feel so alone except to be able to read these posts from others in my boat.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
(female)

corgi02 HB Usercorgi02 HB Usercorgi02 HB User

We all feel your pain, and know your frustrations. At four weeks I felt the same way. I cried at PT too, and at 9 weeks, could still cry at times with the flexion stretching. Except for that though, the pain and discomfort is lots better, so know that better days are ahead. Each week gets better.
I have a friend who went on a cruise at 8 weeks, had to stay on ship as the ports were too much walking for him. He sat around and worked in the gym mostly. Said it wasn't that much fun at this point. He is a big strong guy, so no wimp. I have to LOL when people don't understand the pain and frustration that we "new knee people" feel. There is no describing it. Hang in there.

Closed Thread