It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

coastalgardener HB User
Question Will I ever be able to sleep on my side again?

Two weeks ago I had surgery to repair a torn abductor tendon in my left hip. Surgeon says everything is progressing well, but I have not had much success in getting a good night's sleep (I'm now off all the meds that made me pain-free and drowsy, and, frankly, I don't want to take any pills unless ABSOLUTELY necessary). I've never been able to sleep well unless I am on my side, which, of course, is now impossible. Left side (site of incision) is totally out of the question, much too painful, but trying to sleep on my right side is painful, too. Is there anyone out there who has had hip surgery who can give me any hints on what I can do to make sleeping on my side a possibility? Would be most grateful!!

Last edited by coastalgardener; 12-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Will I ever be able to sleep on my side again?

Dear coastalgardener:
Has your surgeon prohibited your sleeping on your side or is it "just" that it is painful doing that?

I too am a side sleeper and sleeping on my back after each of my two hip replacements was just misery till I got permission to finally sleep on either side.
So I dutifully slept on my back and got very little sleep.

Getting up and walking around at times during the night, I found helpful, in giving me a change of position. I wasn't sleeping much anyway, so why not get up?I too get off strong pain meds as soon as possible.

Mainly I watched old movies on Turner Classic Movies and had my TV on night and day while I was on the bed. The walking around and also sitting on one of my kitchen counter high stools were great helps at night. A little snack helped too! Those bar stools are great for after hip replacement. There just isn't much we can do about not being able to sleep on our sides.

I think others that post and read here had their own inventions and I hope they will report.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 12-21-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: correct poster's name

The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Swan For This Useful Post:
coastalgardener (11-23-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

Dancing Lady HB User

hello Coastalgardener,
I too had that complaint after THR. other THR patients recommended placing pillows under my legs. I started out with 2 pillows, then one, now I use none. But still having to sleep on my back. Sleeping on your side eventually will return. Last week, I was able to sleep on my left side, the side that I had the incision. Keeping a pillow between my knees while sleeping on my side is still recommended for awhile. The other alternative is to use a recliner. Give yourself time to heal.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I have no idea why the sleeping is so hard after hip operations, but everyone complains! I was sleeping on my operated side as soon at it was healed. Whic was about two weeks, it was amazing how fast I healed up and I am diabetic so I worried about that. I took a lot of olive leaf just for that.

Ok, the pillows work but you tend to run the risk of rolling over if you do get to sleep. I used a huge comforter to bunch up and try to feel like I was on my tummy but wasn't. Lol Don't think I slept good for 8 weeks, but the first time I did sleep through the night and woke up and it was like 7 am I was shocked and yelling I did it , I did it! I felt like a new person.
I am having my next Dr appt to set up THR for my left side next week on the 14th and looking forward to getting surgery appt. But not looking forward to the no sleep thingy!!! They say use a lazy boy chair but I wasn't ready to spend that kind of money for this. If I wanted one I might consider it more. Good luck to you.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
(female)

nosevlas HB User

Hi, how has your hip pain improved by now? I just had surgery for a ruptured gluteus minimus tendon and have had the same symptoms that you had. I would love to know how you are doing, Glee in Calif.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
(female)

madison55 HB User

Yes, you will. That's for sure - but it may be a few weeks. After I had both of my total hip replacments, I couldn't sleep on my side either. And, I wanted to SO badly. Sleeping on my back was totally uncomfortable. The only way I could get comfortable was in a recliner. I slept in one for 2-3 weeks. So, if you have a recliner, use it. And remember, sleep is not going to be quite "normal" for at least a couple of weeks. Once the staples come out, you'll be back on your side like always.

Madison

Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
(female)

coastalgardener HB User

It's been a long time since I visited this site and, to answer your question, I am doing just great! I've heard that soft tissue repair is much longer in healing than a full hip replacement, so I just had to be patient. I'm back to doing all the things I once did -- and now without any pain.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
(female)

weegie1 HB User

Hi coastalgardener,
I am happy to hear how well you are doing. I had an open repair of a torn gluteus medius tendon in my right hip on12/28/10. I did not have too much trouble with pain but can certainly relate to the sleeping problems. After a week of OTC sleeping aids and no success, my doc ordered a prescription drug that is working much better. I am sleeping in an abductor hip brace, which only makes things worse.
I had developed a Trendelenberg gait last March and was finally diagnosed with the torn tendon in Oct. Did you also walk with a limp and if so, are you walking normally now.
Would love to hear any encouraging words from anyone who has gone through this.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
(female)

coastalgardener HB User
Talking Re: Will I ever be able to sleep on my side again?

To everyone following this post -- It has been just over a year now that I had my surgery, and everything, and I mean everything, is back to normal. I no longer have problems sleeping on my side, I don't limp, I have no pain when exercising -- I feel truly blessed to have had such a successful surgery. (Thank you, thank you, Dr. R!) For those of you still recovering, take heart! It may take over six months for you to start feeling normal again, but it will happen. May you all feel as good as I now do!!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
(female)

weegie1 HB User

Hi coastalgardener,
I am so happy to hear you are doing well, that is a great encouragement to me. I was afraid not to have the surgery, didn't want the tendon and muscle to deteriorate more than it already had. My instructions are no weight bearing for 6 weeks and the use of the brace [I wear it only at night when I am not aware of what I am doing in my sleep] and then to begin and advance weight bearing the next 6 weeks. After that, I can begin physical therapy to start strengthening exercises. I knew going into this that it was a long recovery, so it helps to know that you have been through it, and done well. I, too, am a gardener and hope that I will be able to do a little something in the yard, come spring.
Thanks so much for replying to my comments. Take care and happy gardening.
I would love to continue hearing from you, if you are willing.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
(female)

weegie1 HB User

Hi Nosevlas,
How are you doing? You are about a month ahead of me in your rehab.. Hope all is going well. It was great to hear how well coastalgardener is doing after 0ne year, hope we can both have the same report at that point of time.
take care,
Weegie1

Closed Thread