It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

dore99 HB User
loose cartilage in knee

I had surgery back in October to remove some loose bodies in my knee. i could feel one moving around but the doctor actually pulled out four of them. anyways two months after the surgery I started feeling another one. Needless to say Im pretty dejected. I just cant run around and play sports and do anything in fear of it getting caught in my joint.

Anyways the doctor, before i had my first surgery and then when i told her about this new one, always told me that sometimes these loose bodies will work their way to the back of the knee and never both you. And that I can try to push this loose body around the side of the knee and towards the back.

Has anyone ever done this or know anything about it?

I can feel this thing on my left knee to the right of the kneecap above the joint... where the femur ends. And when i try to push it to the right and around the side of my knee, its almost as though its blocked and wont move. but i cant really feel what could be there blocking it. I can move it in other directions and actually see it disappearing into the joint. But I cant move it to my right and around the side of the knee. I hate to push too hard because I dont want to injure something else. But I really dont want to do the surgery again, and I really want to be able to push this thing somewhere where it wont bother me. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: loose cartilage in knee

sorry dore,, dont have any advice, but sure know what youre describing. I have a tear on the inside (left part) of the RIGHT knee. That doesnt bother me as much as the smaller peices of torn cartlidge that are in the upper right side of my right knee. That is much more sensitive and painful than the tear. Im scheduled for surgery on the 19th of this month, but im more worried that theyll miss the smaller peices on the upper right part. Id hate to have surgery only to have a peice fall off or a one missed, and then end up with the same pain plus more from the surgery. Ive never heard of you being able to move it into place, how would you know where it would go???
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

anrene65 HB User

to dore99

i have something moving around in my knee also. i had just gotten out of bed and when i walked out of my bedroom, i heard to loud pops and my left knee hurt really bad for a few hours and now there is a lump beside my knee cap. the next day, there wasn't much pain, just alot of pressure where the lump is. the pressure isn't as bad as it was, but i can feel it moving around when i walk and now the area where the lump is, is starting to feel bruised inside. i can also move this only to the left but when i straighten my leg out, it pops back to its original spot. i went to my family dr and he said it's a torn cartilage. he put me in a knee brace to restrict some of the bending of my knee (to not cause more damage) and is sending me for an MRI and to an orthopedic doctor. my dr appt isn't until next week. i have been reading alot about knee problems and wondering if i will have to have surgery. i do not want surgery but at the same time i don't want to cause more damage by not having it. does this sound like what you have?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

anrene HB User

I found out the thing moving around in my knee was a large cyst. Had surgery a couple weeks ago. While dr. was in there he had to do alot of scraping and smoothing different areas of my knee. He said he had to do that to almost everything in my knee, said it was alot of wear and tear. Because he had to do so much to my knee, it is taking longer to heal. Getting better and better each day, just alot of fluid and swelling still, pain is now tolerable. Went back to work yesterday (desk job), kind of sore at the end of the day but I have been icing it in the evenings after work.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
(male)

dore99 HB User

i didnt know cysts could move around like that. hopefully it all works out and you stay healthy.

my thing that has been moving around has found a place on the outside of my left knee where it doesnt really bother me. ive been able to play golf and tennis. every now and then it moves back over to the right side but all ive got to do is push back under the tendon above the knee cap. and then itll slide its way back over to the leftside. i guess the body is pretty good about self correcting things like this. i suppose my days of pickup basketball games and running to workout are over but i can still do a lot of other things. im still a little bitter the surgery didnt fix everything but thats life i suppose.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
(female)

anrene HB User

I didn't know cycst could move around either and I am very surprised it was able to move around, with the size it was. But the pain and the loud pops I felt in the beginning, was the cyst detaching itself. The doctor showed me pictures of where it had been attached. He was very surprised that it was a cyst because it didn't show up on the MRI. I go back to the doctor today for 6 week check up since surgery. It is doing much better. The only thing I don't understand is that where the incision is, that he removed the cyst, it still looks swollen but it is hard. I assumed that would have gone down by now, not understanding why it is hard. It makes me think that it will stay that way. Guess I will find out today at my appt.

Closed Thread