It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User
Re: TKR - what it would have helped to know beforehand.

I found the automatic Ice machine to be a true lifesaver. I would definately invest in one if you don't have it. They run somewhere around a hundred bucks. Not sure if insurance covers it or not. Mine was given to be by someone else who had TKR. All she asked was that I pay it forward and give to someone else who could use it, which I did

Two years later, still going strong Good luck and work hard in rehab!
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
(female)

LillySue HB User

If you are a young + active, that you do very little home PT and get right to a trusted outpatient facility. My home care was awful and did nothing with me. I wasted 3 weeks. There are so many more options they have at a facility to stretch you further and easier than at home.

The main thing I have learned after 3 months is that patience is your best friend. So much worry went into my first 2 months that it consumed me. I know that this knee may not "feel right" for possibly 12 to 18 months. My day-to-day activities are my best therapy even though I still go to outpatient PT to continue stretching my very stubborn quad muscle and improve ROM.

Blessings, LillySue

Last edited by Administrator; 04-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
(female)

Scoobygert HB User

A few things I wish I had known.

This thing takes time. The doc told me not to measure improvement in days, but in weeks. Sometimes (most of the time) it seemed to improve every two or three weeks. Annoying and frustrating for a hyper mom, but do-able, with patient people around you. My dearest had to remind me A LOT to take the pain medicine, and they were stingy with it, let me tell you. I had to call almost every week to get more, and listen to the crap about weening off. My problem wasn't the knee pain, but the hips and back pain from the walking differences. I have bad hips and a twisted pelvis, augmented with severe muscle spasms in my back, so the pain was excruciating at times. I imagine if you have one doc that takes care of you, that won't be a problem, but I have never seen the same doc twice, in three months of follow-ups, so there is no patient familiarity here.

I REALLY wish I had outpatient PT more. VA is awesome here in the Twin Cities, but they are still over tasked. After 8 weeks of being assured I could do everything I needed to at home, I had very limited range of motion and was treated like a malingerer because I didn't get the ROM back on my own. I did everything they told me to do, with MANY more reps, and it still fell short of Ortho expectations. I decided to use my stationary bike as a tool for ROM, and worked out some other tricks to help.

Let me finish my thanking my son. This 13 year old kid is awesome. He fetched more ice, drinks, books, cords, socks and shoes than I would have thought possible. He did laundry for four months straight, as I couldn't do it before the surgery, either. He carried groceries up the stairs, took the dog out three times a day and did all the vacuuming. He would dig things out of the fridge for me and did everything when I ran out of energy. His summer break sucked, but he was a gold mine for me, and he has been richly rewarded. I fully encourage you to borrow a kid if you can. Set up video games and their favorite books and foods, and you have an instant helper.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scoobygert For This Useful Post:
Tampa Mom (01-06-2013)
Closed Thread