It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

momnga HB User
Torn Meniscus, Arthritis, Knee Replacement

I am 49 years old, female. I had Arthroscopic surgery on Aug. 19, 2009 for Degenerative Medial Meniscus Tear on my left knee. After the surgery my Dr. said that he fixed the pain from the tear, but I was going to still have the pain from the Arthritis. Xrays showed it was bone on bone. After prescribing Naproxen for the inflamation, and Glucosamine for 2 months, that did not help at all, I quit my job because I could not stand on my feet 8 hrs a day. I was Front End Manager of a grocery store, that required standing and walking all day. Late October he gave me a cortizone shot, that worked great for 2 days. After that the pain seemed so much worse. Everyone told me I should go ahead file for disability, as they take so long to approve, in case my knee gets worse, I will at least have that to fall back on. When back to the dr. in late November, he suggested that I get the Synvisc-One shot. So we got my insurance approval for the shot and I got the Synvisc-One shot December 29th. Dr. said it takes about 1 month for it to start working. It seems there is never a minute of the day that I am pain free. It hurts to walk, going up and/or down steps. Doing regular chores around the house is becoming harder and harder. I went on January 26th for my checkup, Dr. did another xray, they still showed bone on bone and the showed the Synvisc shot hasn't worked at all. He said the only option now is Knee Replacement, the pain wasn't going to get better. I have tried not to ask for pain medicine, but I finally had to break down and ask for a prescription for pain medicine, he prescribed me 325 mg Percoset to take 1 every 6 -8 hrs as needed. I usually take one midday and one at night before I go to bed. They do help me to get things done around the house that needs to be done, and helps me sleep alittle better. He wants to do the Knee Replacement in March, I am still debating on having. Does this seem soon on his part to want to do Knee replacement? He said that was my last option to help with the pain since we have tried everything else. I also am having terrible pain on my left wrist which he says that it is arthritis also and he give me a shot in my wrist when he does the Replacement surgery. (I have questions about my wrist that I am going to post on that subject).

What are my options, or have I ran out of options?

The following user gives a hug of support to momnga:
infoseeker701 (11-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
(male)

ghostfish HB User
Re: Torn Meniscus, Arthritis, Knee Replacement

Momnga, this is like I am reading history repeated. My wife had surgery for a torn meniscus in Dec. of '09. The Dr. told me after her surgery that everything went well, that he had removed some arthiritis from behind her knee cap. My God, he made a cripple out of her. She spends every day in pain, unable to walk normally. She has tried a knee brace, but to no avail.Her Dr. gave her 2 cortizone shots within two months that have done no good. I have finally convinced her to apply for disability. She works in a daycare and is constantly bending and lifting babies. It tears my heart out to see her suffer the way she does, but I feel so helpless.

The following user gives a hug of support to ghostfish:
infoseeker701 (11-12-2011)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

mimom2twins HB User

Hi, I am a 44 yr old female that had a total knee replacement 12/15/09.I was diagnosed with bone on bone arthritis about 2 years ago.I did the Synvisc shots (I had to stop after 3 in the right, 2 in the left, way too painful), and they didn't help. Supplements helped, but as a nurse, working 12 hour shifts, I could barely walk by my 3rd shift. I also had a hard time walking any distance, tore my meniscus, and the pain finally became unbearable. The ortho Dr. was very reluctant to do a replacement because of my age, but I had a very poor quality of life because of my knee. Since the replacement, I feel like a new person. The arthritis pain is gone, and I feel so much more positive about my future. It feels great to have a functioning knee again! I feel every person has their breaking point and you will know when it's time to get the replacement. You will have alot of work to do after the replacement, and there is definitely surgical pain, but I think the benefits outweigh the day to day pain of living with an arthritic knee. Good luck on your decision

Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

momnga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfish View Post
Momnga, this is like I am reading history repeated. My wife had surgery for a torn meniscus in Dec. of '09. The Dr. told me after her surgery that everything went well, that he had removed some arthiritis from behind her knee cap. My God, he made a cripple out of her. She spends every day in pain, unable to walk normally. She has tried a knee brace, but to no avail.Her Dr. gave her 2 cortizone shots within two months that have done no good. I have finally convinced her to apply for disability. She works in a daycare and is constantly bending and lifting babies. It tears my heart out to see her suffer the way she does, but I feel so helpless.
I feel for your wife. I thought I would never be like this. I have 2 little granddaughters 1 that is fixing to 4 yrs, and 1 that is 16 months. I feel like I am being robbed of enjoying playing with them. It is so depressing. Myself like your wife are very lucky to have understanding husbands. Don't beat up on yourself for feeling helpless, you supporting her does help so much. I have also tried the knee brace or wrapping my knee with ace bandages, that I bought at the drug store, seems to feel better for alittle while. My dr. said he could have a brace fitted for my knee, but it was big and bulky, and in his experience have found that most do not wear it like they should. When my dr. gave me the cortizone shot in Oct. it felt so good for about 2 days, I thought, wow, relief finally. The pain came back with a vengience. You did not mention in your post, how old is your wife? and has her dr. mention knee replacement? Has your wife's dr. discussed giving her Syvisc-one shot? For myself, it was waste, but I hear it does help for some.
I am also dealing with Arthritis in my left hand (I am left handed) I think it is caused from having Carpal Tunnel for so long, and not getting treated. I started having problems with that 26 years ago, while I was pregnant with my son. Dr said when he does my knee replacement in March, he will shoot my hand with cortizone shot.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

momnga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimom2twins View Post
Hi, I am a 44 yr old female that had a total knee replacement 12/15/09.I was diagnosed with bone on bone arthritis about 2 years ago.I did the Synvisc shots (I had to stop after 3 in the right, 2 in the left, way too painful), and they didn't help. Supplements helped, but as a nurse, working 12 hour shifts, I could barely walk by my 3rd shift. I also had a hard time walking any distance, tore my meniscus, and the pain finally became unbearable. The ortho Dr. was very reluctant to do a replacement because of my age, but I had a very poor quality of life because of my knee. Since the replacement, I feel like a new person. The arthritis pain is gone, and I feel so much more positive about my future. It feels great to have a functioning knee again! I feel every person has their breaking point and you will know when it's time to get the replacement. You will have alot of work to do after the replacement, and there is definitely surgical pain, but I think the benefits outweigh the day to day pain of living with an arthritic knee. Good luck on your decision

Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

JC82 HB User
Angry Re: Torn Meniscus, Arthritis, Knee Replacement

Hi,I'm a 28 year old female,and I was reading all your post hoping you can you can give me some advice.I fell and twisted my knee wrong playing with my son like 4 or 5 months ago.I went to the ER because pain was so bad and i couldn't put any weight on my right knee.I currently had no insurance at the time and the er doc took some xrays and told me I just sprained my knee and to follow up with an orthopedic that I would be fine.Well it was very expensive to see one with no ins.I'm in the process now to get some ins.Well,guess my question is,is there any risk or is it bad to go this long without doing anything?It still bothers me 4 months later and I think i have all the signs of a torn meniscus.If I sit for to long of a period when I get up to straighten my lag it kills me,I can't fully straighten that leg,I can't bend tightly in or squat down on it.I just recently went out dancing and it gave out on me and I fell(I know I shouldn't of even tried)It's constantly swelling on and of and very uncomfortable to sleep I'm hoping when I do see the ortho,that i get some answers andnot to be told it's just still a sprain after this long!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Sitting here reading this, and it seems like I wrote my knee problems here already. I'm 58 yrs old, and some 15 or 20 yrs ago a dr told me that my cartlidge was wearing in my knees, and that in a few years I would probably need a tkr. Around the end of March I tried to get up to care for my 2 grandbabies, and I could barely walk. In the next couple of days it was worse, it started to hurt when I drive and go up and down stairs. Then I couldn't put in all the way down in the bed or in the bathtub. I'm so afraid of falling out of the tub if I"m here alone. The pain was so intense I went to the er, they gave me a shot for pain and did an x-ray. The x-ray findings was degenerative arthritis, and go see your primary care dr. That was on Monday, on that Friday I saw the dr. He gave me the cortisone & lydocaine shot in my knee and (oxycodone)pain meds. That shot barely gave me 24 hrs relief. On that following Wedesday, I saw my dr he gave me ibuprofen. He said that would help with the pain and swelling. I asked him if I needed to come back he said no. ON that next Wednesday I called the dr and told him he had to do something because the pain was still so great. I say him he did a rom test and said he thinks I tore my meniscus, gave me a prescription for percoset for the pain. He scheduled me with a mri that was done last Friday. The nurse called a few minutes and said that the mri showed tore my medial meniscus, and cartlidge changes. She went on to say that the dr is scheduling an appointment with an orthro dr.

I have other problems that I didn't address with the dr cause I knee was hurting so much. When I see the orthro dr I will address all my concerns. I do think I have arthritis in my neck, my right wrist, right elbow and left knee. I hate to say this, but I want all my joints to be checked out.

Now maybe my dr will listen next time.

Sorry this is so long.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimom2twins View Post
that is really interesting to hear. I've just been dxed with arthritis in both knees and the pain is getting unbearable. I'm very active...hiking and biking and such, so the knee pain has really put a dent in my activity. I'm used to pain, but this is really effecting my life. Nice to know I'm not too young (how funny is that) to get a knee replaced if necessary. You gave me hope!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

I had a torn medial menicus in 1999 and when I had it scoped the doc told me if I didn't lose some weight it would be 10 years before I needed TKR. For years after being scoped I was misrable, I think I was better off before I had the surgery. Fast forward to present, I have one TKR behind me and 1 coming up next month. For me I think it was the best decision I ever made. I'm now 52 and at 10 weeks post op on the 1st, well, honestly I'm not 100% pain free just yet, but I find I an progressing leaps and bounds every week.

I have reached the point where I can say without a doubt I'm glad I did it, and I have absolutely no fear of doing the 2d on 7-7-10. Good luck with your decision
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
(female)

ccelt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC82 View Post
Hi,I'm a 28 year old female...Well,guess my question is,is there any risk or is it bad to go this long without doing anything?...I just recently went out dancing and it gave out on me and I fell(I know I shouldn't of even tried)...
Yes, it is unadvisable to wait to take care of those knees. I hyper-extended my right knee, by of all things pulling to a suitcase, ten'ish years ago. I was told then when I returned to the mainland to see an ortho doctor. Of course, I didn't listen and now I'm looking at two TKRs with bone-in-bone on the right knee and bone-on-bone on the left one. Your knees are a bio-technological wonder, but they take a beating and lots-o-lots pressure with every movement.

And dancing? I love to dance, but sadly now that's not an option -- my knees are way too fragile to risk additional injury.

You also need to arrange for that insurance. Even with insurance, ortho ailments will cause a real dent in your bank account.

For all the other individuals posting, I've had tremendous relief from Synvisc One injections -- I'm sorry it hasn't been effective for you -- and the application of a topical NSAID, Voltaren. For me, it truly is a magical cream -- takes that stiffness and pain enough to allow for movement and exercise. It doesn't have the same side effects as the systemic (pill form) NSAIDs. Ask your doctors about it.

Good luck to everyone on your journeys, and check back in on the message boards -- they've been a godsend for me and given me a supportive family of fellow experiencers.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
(female)

Deaanna HB User

Hello, I am recovering and now going on week five from knee surgery. I tore my meniscus and I am not sure how I did that. I am so far not happy with the surgery. The doctor said he took out some of my meniscus, (the torn Part) and that he also found some arthritis and took that out. I was still using my crutch on the fourth week. This is now the fifth week and I can get around ok, but there is still pain on the lower inside part of my knee. The doctor said that is where he did most of the work. I had to go back on the fourth week and he took about a cup of bloody fluid from my knee. That was so painful I almost couldnt take it. He said that is from the arthritis. Although, I have never had any pain or any kind of arthritis pain at all, just pain when I tore my meniscus. So I am worried why my knee still hurts. I cannot go up steps starting with my left leg, it hurts so bad, I cannot put that pressure on it. Maybe I am still healing. I hope so, because I don't want to have this pain.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

HAve you, are you in PT? If not, I would highly recommend it. Also, just in case, ice that knee whenever you can. I think if I had those two things when I had my knee scoped I would have had a much better outcome. Wish you the best!
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
(female)

Deaanna HB User

Yes, I did go to physical therapy. Everything went well in that department. As far as bending my leg etc, I can do all that. It is just in that one spot now. So I am patiently waiting day by day to see if this gets any better. I am also thinking of going to a different doctor. I have always been very leary of going to any doctor, only if I absolutely have to. This doctor also gave me a prescription and it says it is for arthritis. So now, after going for a torn meniscus, he gives me arthritis medicine. I have not taken it. I guess it was for the inflammation. Instead I am taking my own alternative medicine and keeping a close eye on the size of my leg and so far no swelling. So yea, if this does not improve after the 8th week, I just don't know what to think.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sounds like you have the right idea, take it day by day. Things aren't going to be normal for awhile. If he gave you Ibuphropin,,, I would take it. That's exactly what it's for, inflammation. As far as going to a new doctor, it's your choice for sure, but a new doctor isn't going to know exactly what happened in your surgery. At this point I would stick with who I had, you must have picked him or her originally for a reason. But it certainly is your choice.

All the best
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Last edited by jerseyboy; 01-26-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

You asked about your options. That I don't know, but do know that knee is not going to get any better. If you are lucky as most are after TKR you will be doing great in a few months. I am not one of those and after well over a year have pain and now a lot of back pain to go along with the knee. Doing what I can until I can see a new Ortho.

Closed Thread