It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User
Left Buttock Pain Coming From the Hip?

Hello,
I've had a nearly constant deep ache in my left buttock for 5 years. On bad days it seems to also ache in the front of my left knee and along the outside of the left calf. I also get strong spasms in the back of my thigh - so strong it seems to injure the muscle and I'll be charlie-horsed for days after. I've had my lower spine thoroughly investigated as the cause (mris, xrays, myleogram, nerve block injections). I've had 2 lumbar fusions and spine surgeon feels this pain is not coming from spine. I should add I have "significant" weakness in the left leg and some nerve damage as shown by emg testing. I limp mildly or quite badly but I can't seem to walk right. I recently had SI joint injections to see if Si joint is the problem. I'm right now waiting on the results of the first mri done on my pelvis/hip.
Does my pain pattern sound familiar to anyone? I've had numerous physical exams and I never yell in pain as my left leg is manipulated. There are no terrible sharp pains. But after such an exam, the pain will build in and I'll be at a 6 compared to my normal 4 for a week to 10 days after.
Lately I am finding my pain changes a bit as the day wears on. It is almost sickening. I'm not overdoing exercise. I'm recovering from cervical spine surgery just now. Anyway, I guess I'm looking for some feedback to help me wait this out till I know something for sure (please God). Thanks so much. SQ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

lynn03262 HB User
Re: Left Buttock Pain Coming From the Hip?

When I read your post I just shook my head. My pain is exactly like yours right down to the left calf muscle. I do get a little relief from heat on the left buttock but my is fine as long as I am standing or walking on it. My pain comes when I sit down. I have not been to a doctor but after reading your story, not sure that is the answer either. I am hoping someone sees your post and offers some advice. I will be waiting patiently.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Lynne,
Well, I'm real sorry for you that you can relate, as the saying goes. I am desperate for some answers. Four docs have dismissed my hip as the culprit when I didn't scream in pain as they rotated my leg. The SI blocks did stop the pain. So maybe it is the SI joint. But I'm still real glad to have gotten the mri. BTW - my pain isn't much worse when I sit or lie or stand or walk. It's fairly constant but gets worse as the day goes on. I do wake in pain in the wee hours, too. I am taking fairly strong pain meds (fairly recent addition and increased with post-op) but the last 2 weeks have been terrible. That my docs thought the pain was coming from my lower back was very understandable. Buttock pain and pain that radiates into the lower legs is a hallmark of a few spine problems. I have to allow as I have not presented the typical symptoms. No fault to them but it has gotten very confusing and 5 years is a long time so I'm sure my frustration comes through. I'll post when i hear my mri results. SQ

Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

sounds like sciatica to me.
my mom had a terrible bout with it a couple weeks ago and ended up in the ER. Try a chiropractor or an acupuncturist

Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
(female)

hopalong85 HB User

Suzy, I have very similar symptoms to you and have been to countless doctors with no answers. UNTIL... I had an MRI arthrogram of my hip. Posterior-Anterior labral tear was found. (An arthrogram is where they inject dye into the hip and then have an MRI). I have had countless MRIs before that never picked up the labral tear... mine is also suspected on both sides but they can only do one arthrogram at a time. I never thought of my pain as coming from my hip as it's mainly in my legs and butt. I am now scheduled for surgery to remove the labral tear and hope for relief. It is worth checking out a labral tear. I most likely have Piriformis syndrome also, which is a deep ache in the butt but my orthopedic surgeon said it could be referred pain from the labral tear. So I would say check out those 2 things: hip labral tear and Piriformis syndrome. Good luck

Last edited by hopalong85; 02-12-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Closed Thread