It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
(male)

Bad Surgery HB User
Hip replacement went v-bad, terrible back and groin pain

I woke from hip replacement surgery in terrible pain; the spinal block did not work, and the pain in my back was as bad as in the hip. Except for one two our stretch in the hospital, I was only able to lay dow 30-40 minutes at a time, during the first two weeks.

With the pain under control, I would lay down to go to sleep; in 30-40 minutes I would wake with the worst pain I have ever had in my life, it was where they had made multiple attempts at a spinal block. I had a bruise on my back larger than a pie plate. After taking the pain pills, it would subside after 3-4 hours, and I would lay down again, and the same cyle would continue. Since I couldn't lay down much, the swelling in my hip, knee and foot became grotesque after a few days.

The doc never responed to my home health nurses calls. Finall after two weeks she found another doc that gave me valium, which let me lay down for one to two hours at a time. The swellin slowly went down, but the unbelievable back pain happened every time I laid down for one to two hours. At four weeks I finally had an appointment with the surgeon and one other doc. The surgeon said to go home for another four weeks and then return to work. The other doc said to get an MRI and steroid shots to at least ease the pain. The surgeon said no way should I do that; soooo for the next 5 weeks I endured what no person should.

After several calls to the surgeon he agreed to another appointment. When he walked into the room, he said "lets get something straight, you had this back problem before I performed the surgery". My wife an I were flabbergasted. Never have I had pain where I do now, and on top of that, I have been having terrible spasms in my groin. He told me to go home and walk and if I wanted to see him again, to make an appointment for a year from that day.

We, walked out of his office and stopped at a pain clinic on the way home. An MRI was ordered, and the day after the mri I had steroids injected into my back. All that could be seen on the mri, was lots of imflamation, but the doc said I might have damage to facets, since multiple attempts had been made at the spinal block that did not work.

For 8 days I was able to get some sleep, back pain was less, but groin spasms continued to get worse. By 3 weeks after the injections, I was only able to sleep a total of 6 hours during a 90 hour peiod of time. I had injections again last week, and so far the back pain has been less.

It's been over 13 weeks and I'm still using a walker, and cannot stand to walk much before the groin spasms start.

Last week, by chance or divine intervention, I ran into another fellow with exactly the same problems, our surgeries were performed by the same doctor. He had recently been refferred to another surgeon, and after spending many hours looking and making phone calls, I finally got another surgeon to take a look at my records, when I get them all gathered. Guess what, it's the same sugeon as the other fellow that I told about. Both of us will be going to him.

Have any of you heard of hip sugery causing a back injury? Actually, it was probably the multiple attempts at the spinal block.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

it still hurts HB User
Re: Hip replacement went v-bad, terrible back and groin pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Surgery View Post
I woke from hip replacement surgery in terrible pain; the spinal block did not work, and the pain in my back was as bad as in the hip. Except for one two our stretch in the hospital, I was only able to lay dow 30-40 minutes at a time, during the first two weeks.

With the pain under control, I would lay down to go to sleep; in 30-40 minutes I would wake with the worst pain I have ever had in my life, it was where they had made multiple attempts at a spinal block. I had a bruise on my back larger than a pie plate. After taking the pain pills, it would subside after 3-4 hours, and I would lay down again, and the same cyle would continue. Since I couldn't lay down much, the swelling in my hip, knee and foot became grotesque after a few days.

The doc never responed to my home health nurses calls. Finall after two weeks she found another doc that gave me valium, which let me lay down for one to two hours at a time. The swellin slowly went down, but the unbelievable back pain happened every time I laid down for one to two hours. At four weeks I finally had an appointment with the surgeon and one other doc. The surgeon said to go home for another four weeks and then return to work. The other doc said to get an MRI and steroid shots to at least ease the pain. The surgeon said no way should I do that; soooo for the next 5 weeks I endured what no person should.

After several calls to the surgeon he agreed to another appointment. When he walked into the room, he said "lets get something straight, you had this back problem before I performed the surgery". My wife an I were flabbergasted. Never have I had pain where I do now, and on top of that, I have been having terrible spasms in my groin. He told me to go home and walk and if I wanted to see him again, to make an appointment for a year from that day.

We, walked out of his office and stopped at a pain clinic on the way home. An MRI was ordered, and the day after the mri I had steroids injected into my back. All that could be seen on the mri, was lots of imflamation, but the doc said I might have damage to facets, since multiple attempts had been made at the spinal block that did not work.

For 8 days I was able to get some sleep, back pain was less, but groin spasms continued to get worse. By 3 weeks after the injections, I was only able to sleep a total of 6 hours during a 90 hour peiod of time. I had injections again last week, and so far the back pain has been less.

It's been over 13 weeks and I'm still using a walker, and cannot stand to walk much before the groin spasms start.

Last week, by chance or divine intervention, I ran into another fellow with exactly the same problems, our surgeries were performed by the same doctor. He had recently been refferred to another surgeon, and after spending many hours looking and making phone calls, I finally got another surgeon to take a look at my records, when I get them all gathered. Guess what, it's the same sugeon as the other fellow that I told about. Both of us will be going to him.

Have any of you heard of hip sugery causing a back injury? Actually, it was probably the multiple attempts at the spinal block.
I had a total hip replacement Nov 19 2009. I had sereve back pain right after becasue they make you lay on your back the 1st day after the surgery. After I got up and started moving around with my walker it got better. was able to do my exercizes wtih no problem. now almost 5 Months after and back to work, I'm haveing some severe knee pain that is making it hard to walk. Now where do I go?

Closed Thread