It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

ksugrad79 HB User
Severe hip bruise after a fall

I am a few weeks shy of my 53rd birthday, perimenopausal, and last week one night I fell from a step stool cleaning my ceiling fan blades in my bedroom. I landed on a mini-stepper I use for doing cardio workouts, landing on my left hip. I sustained some nasty scrapes but now I have a whopper of a painful bruise about the size of a grapefruit that is very ugly looking and it hurts like hell. I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen but it still hurts like crazy and the pain radiates all the way down to my knee sometimes, even causing occasional muscle spasms.

I'm beginning to wonder if I broke something or could it just be a very deep muscle bruise that's going to hurt for a good long while. Is icing the right strategy to take? Would warm compresses help? Or soaking in Epsom salts in my bathtub? It's incredibly painful right now and I've taken today and yesterday off work to let it mend somewhat, but I still have things to do and places to go, and it seems that the more I'm on my feet, the worse it feels. I would like some tips on what to do about this and whether it warrants seeing a doctor or if it is something I can continue to self treat at home and what I can do to ease the pain that has been tormenting me for the past few days. Thank you!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Severe hip bruise after a fall

Hi ksugrad:
I am not a medically trained person, but it sounds to me like it would be a good idea to have a doctor look at your bruised area. Who knows what damage that fall might have caused? Always better to be safe than sorry! Please let us know how this turns out

And stay off those step stools!!!

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread