It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

Jeanob HB User
Question Pain and swelling at incision site one week after surgery

Hi ,
I had thr of my right hip on Tues. March 30. I came home from the hospital on Friday. I began home health care with nurses and pt on Saturday. All seemed well except from some weeping at the incision site where a nurse pulled skin away while removing bandages. My dh has kept the site medicated and says it looks like it is getting better, but it is still soiling the bandages. The last two days I have had pain near the incision site, it seems a little warm, and hurts like a reallly, really bad bruise. Today I'm pretty sure the hip is swollen . Is this normal healing or is it something I should worry about? I have increased pain meds (Norco) because the pain seems worse than when I came home. I'd appreciate any input.
Jeano

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Pain and swelling at incision site one week after surgery

Call your doc. Never assume it's okay if there is any possibility of a post op infection. Better to be safe than sorry.

It's probably nothing but the post-op infection rate is 2% and the treatment is long and involved and the sooner it's started the better, so call. I had a similar problem after my knees and had to go get blood cultures and be seen but it turned out to be okay. PHEW! And you will probably be okay too. But a post-op infection is so dangerous that it's not something to play around with....check it out.....please.

let us know...............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I would definitely phone my doc or nurse and ask about this. I was lucky and never had any dripping of any kind from the incision. But here I am at five months and the incision still itches and burns although my PT says it looks good with little swelling. I massage it twice a day with lotion and add some skin gel that contains various vitamins and other things that is supposed to help. It does for a very short time. I still have a lot of stiffness and am now just learning to go up and down stairs properly. I think I am a wimp as it is taking me much too long to get over this and yet I have been told it can take some people a year to get back to normal. I almost cry when I am at PT and they bend that knee back. It is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and that includes three baby deliveries.
Reading this board has made me feel a bit better in that misery loves company and I see that many of you are just like me. I know I will be better when I can go shopping without a cane and not get tired and I can start to bake again as that standing for long is difficult still. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get through a short trip I have coming up in a week. Luckily I will be traveling with another couple and hope for their assistance if needed.
Take care everyone - one of these days maybe we will laugh at the difficulities we have had.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

KRioux HB User

I had my THR on the right side on March 24th. Like you I had alot of seeping and a very large hemotoma. Once the staples came out the swelling continued and for a few days i was convinced it was infected. I was however in a rehab facility of my request and they monitored it closely. Be careful with this. You don't want any issues now that you have been through the worst. Have it checked and have it watched. I have no doubt it will be fine. But we must all be our own advocates!!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
(female)

GaterGal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
I would definitely phone my doc or nurse and ask about this. I was lucky and never had any dripping of any kind from the incision. But here I am at five months and the incision still itches and burns although my PT says it looks good with little swelling. I massage it twice a day with lotion and add some skin gel that contains various vitamins and other things that is supposed to help. It does for a very short time. I still have a lot of stiffness and am now just learning to go up and down stairs properly. I think I am a wimp as it is taking me much too long to get over this and yet I have been told it can take some people a year to get back to normal. I almost cry when I am at PT and they bend that knee back. It is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and that includes three baby deliveries.
Reading this board has made me feel a bit better in that misery loves company and I see that many of you are just like me. I know I will be better when I can go shopping without a cane and not get tired and I can start to bake again as that standing for long is difficult still. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get through a short trip I have coming up in a week. Luckily I will be traveling with another couple and hope for their assistance if needed.
Take care everyone - one of these days maybe we will laugh at the difficulities we have had.
I have had both knees replaced and never had a second of itching. Do you think you could be allergic to the lotion or gel? Try going without it for a couple of days and see what happens.

Closed Thread