It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
(female)

abbycat1 HB User
Red face Shooting knee pain, possible nerve issue?

I just started running again (and by running, let's be honest, I mean on and off walking and fast-walking at speeds under 4.5 mph). I thought I had eased back into it properly, but after my first few sessions, I noticed a severe knee pain.

It happens when my leg is fully extended and and lean forward ... and, randomly enough, when I'm just sitting at my desk or in my car. It's my left knee, on the outside edge (not the knee cap, but an inch or two to the outside).

It is a debilitating pain, but only for about 2 seconds, then it's gone again. It's so painful and surprising that I've been known to scream out just a bit ... like some one has just stabbed me in the side of the knee with a letter opener. But then it's gone just as quickly as it came on.

I laid off the running completely for a couple weeks, to no avail, the pain continued randomly. So I started back up again ... hasn't gotten worse really (though I can't do my leg extension stretch before/after running since it triggers the pain).

I also ice it (15 min on/15 min off) for an hour or two after I run each time.

Has this happened to anyone before? Or do you have any ideas as to what it might be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

2000SLtc HB User
Re: Shooting knee pain, possible nerve issue?

Diear abbycat1;
Did you get an answer to your knee problem?

Regards,
2000SLtc

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Probably a lateral meniscus tear or a loose piece of cartilage. If truly torn then have it scoped. A loose body may go back to where it was hiding in the joint but it may not.
James

Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
(male)

travbo1978 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycat1 View Post
I just started running again (and by running, let's be honest, I mean on and off walking and fast-walking at speeds under 4.5 mph). I thought I had eased back into it properly, but after my first few sessions, I noticed a severe knee pain.

It happens when my leg is fully extended and and lean forward ... and, randomly enough, when I'm just sitting at my desk or in my car. It's my left knee, on the outside edge (not the knee cap, but an inch or two to the outside).

It is a debilitating pain, but only for about 2 seconds, then it's gone again. It's so painful and surprising that I've been known to scream out just a bit ... like some one has just stabbed me in the side of the knee with a letter opener. But then it's gone just as quickly as it came on.

I laid off the running completely for a couple weeks, to no avail, the pain continued randomly. So I started back up again ... hasn't gotten worse really (though I can't do my leg extension stretch before/after running since it triggers the pain).

I also ice it (15 min on/15 min off) for an hour or two after I run each time.

Has this happened to anyone before? Or do you have any ideas as to what it might be?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
(male)

travbo1978 HB User

At last after searching the internet I have found some one with the exact same systoms.
The pain you are experiencing of have experienced is in the exact same spot where I am having it. The pain is possibly the worst pain I have ever experienced so much so I scream in agony when it comes on, this to only dissapear seconds later. The wierd thing is as soon as its happened I could quite easily go for a run. The pain is coming on every night in bed waking me up and perhaps one every day or so. Its like some one is giving me the most severe electril shock in my knee. My physio thinks it could be a loose body - My doctor has sent me for a scan on the 2nd of November so should know more then?

Have you found out what it is yet and have you been succesffully treated! I hope so because this is a nasty one!

Closed Thread