It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Question Back, hip pain & knee pain, which is it & which needs looked at?

I have pain in my low back radiating down my back to my knee on the left side. I also have pain on the left side in my hip area sometimes in the front abdomen going down my thigh, sometimes so severe that I can't walk. The pain is so sharp it takes my breath away. I also have bad knees. My left knee pops & clicks and hurts to where I can't always straighten it out.
I use a pillow beneath my knees for my back 'cause hubby had 3 back surgeries & told me a pillow helps ease the pain on the lower back.
I've always had sciatica, but since I quit work 14 yrs. ago I rarely have had any pain until now. I was born with scoliosis, but no problem with that either.
My knees are now giving me lots of trouble, i.e. pain & clicking, but my left hip was diagnosed with OP (osteoporosis)about 5 yrs. ago & I was wondering if that could be causing me pain in my gut & hip area down my leg to my ankle. I realize this is a lot, but can anyone help with suggestions? I have no insurance now & I am the sole caregiver for my hubby who has Parkinson's Disease & he's also had a stroke. He gets around pretty good, but he has short term memory loss & I take care of him so I need to find out which this is....Back...Hip...or Knee or is it all three!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Back, hip pain & knee pain, which is it & which needs looked at?

Hi. I'm no expert, but when I was preparing for my right hip replacement I had pain in the knee. Dr. told me it was referred pain from my hip. So, some of your aches and pains could be referrd pain from hip or maybe from knee. I think if you can manage it, you should just see an orthopedic doctor. In addition to xrays they may need to take some tests. Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

KaP HB User
Re: Back, hip pain & knee pain, which is it & which needs looked at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
Hi. I'm no expert, but when I was preparing for my right hip replacement I had pain in the knee. Dr. told me it was referred pain from my hip. So, some of your aches and pains could be referrd pain from hip or maybe from knee. I think if you can manage it, you should just see an orthopedic doctor. In addition to xrays they may need to take some tests. Maggie
Larimergirl, I went Thurs. to have x-rays on my hip & knee. I am waiting to see if anything shows on the films. My PCP said an x-ray can show if the bone is eroding or if arthritis is present in the knee or hip. He said I might just need a cortisone shot in the hip. I hope I don't need surgery. Messing with the bone is painful! I might go see an ortho if it's needed.
Thank yo for your quick response.

Closed Thread