It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

Ashleyj9222 HB User
Tibial Tubercle Transfer surgery?

Has anyone ever had this surgery? I am highly considering it due to 6 recent subluxations, daily pain, and instability. Was the pain very terrible, how old were you when you had this surgery and would you recommend it? I'm a teen female and this has been recommended to me. Thank you!

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Tibial Tubercle Transfer surgery?

I had it when I was 18....40 years ago. I figured by now they'd have a better surgery for this. Sorry to hear it's still being used.

Yes, it hurts....a lot. They basically cut a wedge of bone out of your leg and move it to a different location. I spent 3 months in a cast after wards. And it didn't work.

I'd get a second and even a third opinion. This is old surgery. I'd find someone up on the latest treatment. It was a lot of pain and disability for a surgery that failed. And it complicated my getting my knee replaced when I was 47. If you get 2 or 3 orthos saying the same thing, then go with it but I'd do a lot of research first.

good luck..................Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

Ashleyj9222 HB User

Oh man that doesn't sound good. I'm already planning on getting a second opinion. My surgeon claims he has done several of these on other teen girls who have a Q-Angle like mine. I'm going to take your advice and research to see if there are any other surgical options. Do you know of any?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Wish I did. I don't know what is being done these days as my knees have been metal and plastic for the past 11 years and I've stopped watching for the new stuff.

When you go the second/third opinions, look for younger orthos who may be up on the newest stuff. Do a search on the Q-angle problem(that's a new one to me).

And if you keep coming up with the same answer...do the surgery and do whatever they tell you to do post-op. I was somewhat rebellious and didn't want to do my PT and for all I know, it might have worked had I been more compliant. But another doc told me no, it just didn't work for me because of other injuries that were not corrected and should have been.

good luck..........Jenny

Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

Ashley,

Have any of your doctors mentioned the possibility of doing a lateral release to help correct the kneecap subluxation issues? That surgery is a lot less invasive than the tibial surgery, and the recovery time is much shorter. I have had lateral releases done on both knees during the last two years. So far, my kneecaps are tracking properly. My surgeon told me that the tibial surgery is the last resort after the lateral release surgery and another type of surgery failed. I hope this helped. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!

ozfan79

Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Thanks for mentioning that Ozfan. I've heard of it too but it wasn't around when I had my TTT. It really is an old fashioned surgery as best I know. The lateral release is the newest one and as far as I'm concerned, the least invasive surgery should always come first.

Thanks............Jenny

Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
(female)

Ashleyj9222 HB User

A lateral release was mentioned to me, but only in addition to a TTT. I was told that only have a LR would not fix my problems, seeing as my knee is turned in so much! I look completely lop-sided when I stand with my feet pointing forward. Something about a Q-Angle I guess!

Another thing, I've never had a big brace put on and I've never been told to stay off of it for a while. Have you guys tried these things? I currently wear the biggest brace you can buy at the drugstore. My OS said it was good though and that staying off my leg wouldn't do anything. Any differing opinions?

Ashley

Last edited by Ashleyj9222; 04-27-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hi Ashley....I guess the bottom line is that if you trust your surgeon, you do the surgery. If you don't, then wait and see how things go. This is elective surgery...meaning you don't have to have it for something life threatening. Yes, you hurt but you do have time.

I was just checking some sites I've used for orthopedic questions and a tibial tubercle transfer didn't even come up in a search and it makes me wonder why. When I had it, it was new and at 18, I didn't get much of a choice. In the 1970 you did as your parents told you to do. You do. You can research. You can see other docs. You can try more PT and work with the brace to keep it from dislocating. Waiting will not cause you any harm.

Just remember that surgery is permanent. If it works, that's great but if it doesn't, that's permanent too. Educating yourself is the best thing anyone can do before agreeing to any surgery. And it seems as if that is what you are doing. Keep up the good work but in the end, it's your choice.

good luck..............Jenny

Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
(female)

ktlemasters HB User

Hi Ashley,

I was wondering if you decided to have this surgery or not. I had one 12 years ago on my left knee and 10 years ago on my right knee. I had a lateral release as someone else had mentioned in 1994 and it didn't work.

I just had to put my two cents in and let you know what I have been through with my knees. I hope you ended up getting a second opinion with a younger ortho.

Let me know! KT

Last edited by ktlemasters; 09-30-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
(female)

bosslady2010 HB User

DO NOT HAVE THIS SURGERY!! I had this surgery 1 year ago, it was the most painful thing I have every gone thru in my life. I am young and I now have to have another surgury just a year later. They cut the tibia. Please get a second opinion, on that's more evasive. good luck to you

Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
(female)

jeo2 HB User

Hi there, can I ask - did you have this procedure done, and if so how was the recovery? I am due to have this in two weeks and am quite fearful of it. I have an unstable knee, dislocated once and subluxes all the time - I have developed back and hip pain as I compensate the way I walk. I have had to give up sports - but in the back of my mind I feel I get about day to day sort of ok and would hate to end up worse off. Big decision to make
Jennifer

Closed Thread