It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

orchardk HB User
Knee Replacement post suregery

I had my left knee replaced on April 22nd. I find myself to be so depressed that I have taken myself off meds in case that is the problem. has anyone else experienced this. trying to be brave and realize that I can't be the only person not to have success with this surgery, but it all looks pretty bleak now. has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Knee Replacement post suregery

Your post does not give much specific information. Why are you viewing the operation as unsuccessful. What is going on?

But for starters . . . after only three weeks, I do not think it would be possible to tell whether the operation was successful or not (unless, of course, something was seriously wrong). The recuperation time from knee replacements is in the range of 6 to 8 weeks, as I recall, though it really stretches on for several months.

What I do know also is that recuperation from knee replacements is more lengthy and much more painful than for any other joint replacement. Are you still undergoing physical therapy?

Is the medication you stopped for pain? If so, the purpose of pain medication is to help you work through physical therapy and recover as quickly as possible. But I certainly would not restart any medications without talking with your physician.

We live in a world where everything is supposed to happen right away. Many people view surgery as though we are mechanical robots and you just replace a part and are off and running again. It just does not work that way. Healing takes time . . . and for some it takes more than others.

Many hospitals have support groups specifically for people who have undergone knee replacements because they are so tough. Maybe there is something like that in your area.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
(male)

JaimeRod HB User

I, like you just recently had a tkr (April 13, 2010). Right now it's much too early to determine whether the surgery is a success since you are still healing.

How are you doing with your physical therapy? Are you icing? I can share more thoughts with you provided you give us a little more information to go by.

Take care

Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I know what you mean about depression. I've never really had that, but found myself getting teary eyed over nothing other than the pain and not being able to do the things I normally do. You are too early in your healing to stop the meds, etc.
I am at six months now and had no idea this was going to take so long to get over. I still keep my cane in the car in case I need to walk a long ways. I've just capped out my Medicare PT so have a couple of more sessions and then I'll be on my own. Right now I have started my own program of walking on the treadmill a half mile twice a day, going to the gym to use the bike for a half hour and doing all the exercises I have been given. The worst, of course, is the knee bending and I cannot get any further than I am now according to my therapist. I can get to 120 on my own and 130 with his torture. I find that the incision still itches and burns at times and I massage it and put some gel on called Skin Gel that relieves the burning for a short time. Still a lot of stiffness and pain at times and I try to get by with two pain pills a day just before exercise. But no planting of flowers and tomatoes for me this summer as I can't get down on my knees. I'm not a happy camper, but don't know what else to do. I may try some exercises in the pool at the gym if it ever warms up here. The classes offered are too aerobic for me at this time.
Anyone have any other suggestions? I had no idea this would take so long to recover from and now I'm told it can take a year and maybe I will always have some pain.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

gailegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchardk View Post
I had my left knee replaced on April 22nd. I find myself to be so depressed that I have taken myself off meds in case that is the problem. has anyone else experienced this. trying to be brave and realize that I can't be the only person not to have success with this surgery, but it all looks pretty bleak now. has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

gailegirl HB User

Sorry to tell you-you're not the only one. I too had a TKR in Nov. 2005--I'm still in horrific pain-I've also had 3 arthroscopic surgeries on the same knee. I've been to 7 different orthopedic surgeons-no help. Still need pain patches to function. You just have to deal with it I'm afaid. Good luck!!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Glad I found this because I'm at 9 mo almost and still don't feel normal. Good thing I'm not a good Catholic girl because I'd never be able to get on my knees! Since I enjoy gardening and my yard this part has been hard for me. I do about everything I did before but pay for it at the end of day. Hoping to be able to get pool warmed up enough to get in it as they say water therapy really helps. Got a massage today on my knee and it didn't hurt. Maybe it's all in my head to be afraid of hitting my knee or something? I have fallen several times since surgery and once forward! Seems I lose balance a lot? Sober as a judge when it happens. LOL.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
(female)

Crisonya HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchardk View Post
I went off depression meds, it was making me more depressed. I figured I didn't take them before, I didn't need them now.

Closed Thread