It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

verydisciplined HB User
Unhappy Need Some Advice-Knee Problems-Multiple Surgeries

Hello,

I am a 40 year old female,and have had 4 knee surgeries in the past 16 months. The first was in January 2009, for a meniscus tear, and a little buckle of synovitis. Should have been pretty straight forward...right? No so much. After that surgery, my knee kept swelling, and continued pain. My surgeon told me I must be getting old (was only 39 at the time), and sent me to a rheumatologist for evaluation. Many, many blood tests were done, and nothing found by her. However, she felt I needed another scope on my knee, and after my refusal to see the same surgeon, she recommended a surgeon who runs a knee institute about 45 mins away. I had my 2nd scope in November 2009, and he found very extensive synovitis, and a plica. He removed both. The swelling and extreme pain continued, and fluid was removed from my knee 9 times from November to April. MRI, CT scan, and xrays revealed a kneecap tracking problem, lots of scar tissue, and worsening arthritis. Another scope was performed in early April, lateral release performed, and scar tissue was removed. I had scar tissue all over my knee, all the way to the tibia. When I woke from that surgery, the pain seemed extreme, but I thought I just did not understand how bad it would be, so I tried to muscle through. 6 days after surgery, my knee was about 3x's the size of the other, I was bruised all the way to my hip, and the pain was so bad, I could not move my ankle, stand, or walk to the bathroom without help, and bursting into tears. Now, I will tell you, I have battled advanced cancer, multiple surgeries associated with the cancer, so I am no wimp...at all. This was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I called the surgeon, and when he looked at my knee, he immediately admitted me to the hospital, and had to perform emergency surgery for a large hematoma in my knee joint. It took him over two hours to remove the blood clot, and I was in the hospital for a few days with a drain in my knee. Since that time (April 17th), I have had blood and fluid aspirated from my knee twice, and the knee is still terribly swollen, has more fluid in it, I cannot bend it past about 60 degrees, and I have horrible sharp pains in it all of the time. This is truly a nightmare! I just do not understand, and nobody seems to have a good answer for the complications I have experienced with this knee. I am afraid the scar tissue is back. The top of my knee (above the kneecap) is thickened, and is a good part of the reason I physically cannot bend it (it will not bend). Besides the horrific pain when I try to bend my knee, it feels like something is blocking it from bending. I am afraid he will need to remove more scar tissue surgically, and I am afraid to have it operated on again, based on my past experiences. I am at the end of my rope here, and would like to know if anyone else has experience this, or the complications I have had? I am told that based on the complications, and having two surgeries on my knee within a week, I can expect to have a very long, hard recovery and rehab on my knee. The surgeon said it may be 6 months to a year before we even know if the surgery was a success. I have been on disability since November, and am not released back until at least mid July. I literally sit in a recliner all day, every day. The only time I leave the house (with my walker) is to go to the doctor, or PT. My physical therapist cannot get my knee to bend either, and she typically makes me cry trying to bend it. I have had a CPM machine, cold-compression machine, I have a home e-stim unit for quad shutdown, and I ice and elevate my knee constantly. Someone, please tell me you have experienced this, and it all turned out ok. I really need to hear from people who have gone through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Need Some Advice-Knee Problems-Multiple Surgeries

Hi...I'm Jenny and we have a lot in common, unfortunately. By 40 I had had 5 operations on my left knee and 2 on my right. Had both replaced at 47. Now I'm 58 and I'm the one who posted the question on the site about bleeding into replaced knees. So I'll share my history in hopes it will give you some ideas and hope.

I injured my left knee as a teen and it wasn't fixed for 2 years because no one thought girls could tear a meniscus(this was 1966). By the time it was fixed I already was bone to bone(had a torn ACL and medial collateral ligaments too). Then they tried doing something called a tibial tubercle transfer for a lateral tracking kneecap and that didn't work. I was told I needed a total knee at 24 but couldn't have one until I was at least 40.

At 37 I injured the right knee and started having scopes on that one as well as more surgery to keep the left one going. Then age 40 struck and something changed. I had always recovered from knee surgery very quickly and well but now, I had massive swelling and pain and recovery took a long time. Even a simple scoping to clean it out was a big deal now. Doc said it was my age and that every time they went in, the knee got more and more "reactive" and didn't like being touched. It was like my knee got old but I wasn't.

When he did #6 on the left knee all hell broke loose. I swelled to the point of getting blisters on my thigh. I couldn't walk at all...and it was just a scope. Took months to recover. My doc warned me that the next step would be a replacement....my knee couldn't take anymore. But the right was worsening at a fast rate....had 2 more scopes over the next 4 years. Then it started swelling like mad and deteriorating very fast. It took me 34 years to take my left knee from fine to replaced but it only took the right knee 10 years to do the same.

I toughed it out from 40 to 47 using canes and crutches and saw a rheumatologist for treatment with replacement joint fluids and cortisone shots and braces and the whole 9 yards. But at 47, I went through the joint surface of the left knee and it was TKR time. While going through testing prior to surgery, I did it with my right knee too. So 11 years ago, I had both knees replaced at the same time.

It's been heaven for 11 years. No pain. No swelling. No taps. No scopes. Then all of a sudden this year I start bleeding into my knees again. They tested for infection but it was negative. However, I found out that culturing joint fluid is only positive 61% of the time. So I'm going through test after test to try to figure out what is wrong now. Like you, they've tested for everything they can test for using blood or joint fluid or x-rays. I'm questioning why they don't do a PET scan since they can't do an MRI and CT's just don't show enough with the prosthesis.

One thing I came upon is a disorder that causes growth of the synovium and bleeding into the knees called Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis. Might want to do some exploring on the symptoms and mention it to your doc. Rare...although I picked up a sense that it might not be that rare at all but just never checked out. Takes a biopsy of the synovium to diagnose it. One of the very few disorders that causes blood in the knee joints. If I have it, it would be a first.....only 1 recorded case with replaced knees and that was with a partial replacement.

But what I can tell you is that yes, at 40, your knees are old and tired and the multiple surgeries have inflamed the daylights out of it. Recovery will be slow but you can recover. And the really good news is that if they don't, replacement knees are great! Until I ran into this problem, they were wonderful.

Why some of us end up with these major "old" knees at 40 is a mystery to me but it happens and we have them. Treat them like they are the most precious things in the word right now...they are. I did a lot of icing. Ace bandages to compress the fluid and keep them protected. I used crutches and canes. Pain meds as needed...those suckers hurt! I broke my neck 3 years ago and had major surgery. After wards they asked how much pain I was in....I said 3. Why so low they asked...I've had 14 knee surgeries...this is nothing! You are so right!

I'm here if you have questions or need a shoulder to vent on. I'm actually waiting to be tested for possible allergies to the metals in my knees....but I think it will turn out to be a low virulence infection. But first we rule out everything else! And I thought I was done at 14 surgeries.

Hang in there...this too shall end.

gentle hugs............Jenny

Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hello Jenny,

It is so nice to meet you, and I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.

I too have tried injections to replace joint fluids, but they really did nothing to improve the situation. Since I had advanced cancer six year ago, and multiple surgeries (including hysterectomy), extensive chemotherapy, radiation, etc., my body reacts to things much more different than before. For one thing, having the chemo and hysterectomy threw me into medical menopause, and I have osteoporosis at a very young age. In addition, I can no longer tolerate steroids, so that is not possible. If I try to take steroids for the swelling, my heart rate speeds up, I sweat, flush, and break out in hives. I cannot even have cortisone on my skin; I break out in hives immediately. This is a problem, since I think a shot of steroids in the joint may be of benefit to curtail the swelling, but it just is not possible. When I was in the hospital a few weeks ago with the hematoma, the nurse said that after chemotherapy, the body's ability to heal is diminished greatly. I have never had problems healing from surgery before, but it is like my knee is ticked off, and anything we try to do just makes matters worse.

I went from working full-time, teaching for a local college part-time, and taking classes toward a second Master degree to sitting in a chair. I am still working on some online classes, and I am grateful for the distraction. I am so used to being a busy person, running head first through life, so this is especially depressing for me.

Something you said reminded me of another point. When the fluid was aspirated from my knee three weeks ago, the preliminary report noted some bacteria was present, but when they tried to grow the bacteria over 72 hours, nothing would grow. The final report came back simply showing a very high red blood count, and a low white blood count. The final report would certainly point to no infection. My knee was drained again a week later, and the fluid analysis was once again fine (no infection).

This business with the thickening above the kneecap, and the area where the drain was is troubling. It feels like it is hampering my abiltiy to bend my knee past 60 degrees. When the PT tries to push it further than that (the pain is extreme), and you can see how tight it pulls that area (feels like something is going to rupture). Also, if I stand for more than a few minutes, my knee and below turns a bright purple. I feel like it need to be drained again, but everytime they introduce a needle to the joint, my knee reacts poorly, and I am risking an infection.

My surgeon talked with me a little about TKR before this last surgery, but I still have some good cartilage, so I do not feel ready for that just yet. TKR is a big decision, and I am not ready to make that kind of move yet. I feel like once I do that, there is no going back if something goes wrong (and things just keep going wrong for me).

Have you ever had your knee manipulated to break up scar tissue? I am afraid that will be necessary, since it seems likely the thickening is in fact more scar tissue. I was told that swelling and fluid in the knee causes scar tissue formation, and I have had no shortage of either.

I have a good surgeon who makes sure I have good pain relief medication, but that is also worrisome. I have to take them daily, but it just cannot be helped right now. I have been on some sort of pain medication since November, and have talked frankly with my surgeon, and the physican assistant (who I work with a lot, since my surgeon is only in the office one day a week). The physican assistant is wonderful, capable, and I am very, very comfortable with her. They assured me that when (if) things begin to improve, they will gently take me off the pain medication, so I should not worry about that right now. I try not to worry, but a person must be open with their physican about this, and take the medication as prescribed only. Without the medication, however, I would be unable to walk to the bathroom, or attend PT right now.

I am an avid gardener, and I was so hoping this last surgery would offer the relief I had anticipated, and I would enjoy planting my garden this year, but unfortunately, that is out of the question. My mom and husband are wonderful, and will plant it for me. However, they have been through so much with my health over the past six years, and I cannot help feeling guilty to put them through more challenges with my health.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Don't feel badly about your husband and mom helping you with the garden. You need things to look forward to. I'm sure with the cancer you learning the importance of having hope and it even goes for bad knees. After I broke my neck I wouldn't let anyone do any planting for me as I didn't know if I'd be around to see the results. This spring, after 3 years I finally put in raspberry bushes, rhubarb and pumpkins for my granddaughter...and a bunch of new perennials for my flower gardens. Then my knees got bad. Don't care....I will get through this and enjoy my raspberries!

But we have even more in common. I too had a hyst at 32 for pre-cancerous changes. No full blown cancer thank heavens as it runs on my family pretty badly....why my doc did the surgery as soon as he was the slightest bit suspicious. And I can take steroids due to allergies either. In my case I am actually allergic to it along with 40+ other drugs. Started with asthma inhalers and then went to eye drops, skin creams, prednisone and now injected steroids. Unfortunately I also have allergies to pain drugs as well and since my history says I run families of drugs, I have to not take them as much as possible. No morphine, no oxycodone or anything in the families. So I have learned to really tough it out as much as I want to pop a pill and feel relief. For the sake of having something to use at a later date, I don't.

I'm so sorry you had to battle cancer at such a young age. But I'm glad you are okay now.

I know the frustration of dealing with an active life coming to a complete halt so suddenly. My did the same when I broke my neck. I had just been promoted to a new job in my company...one I really wanted.....and then I'm in surgery and the family is called to tell them I might not make it through the day. Scary and frustrating. But after 3 1/2 years, I am adjusting and have accepted that I'm not going back.

On the question of manipulation, I was a candidate after my TKR when my left didn't want to bend but I talked my surgeon into giving me some extra time to get it moving and I did....so no....no manipulation. And now I have a full range of motion but it is so stiff it just doesn't want to move but can. I actually wouldn't mind having new prostheses put in as the new knees are very good and offer a better range of motion so that is not the problem....but months and months of antibiotics worries everyone. If they are infected, will I develop more allergies?

I'm just a "holding" right now as I guess you are.

So while we're both waiting, what do you teach and what is in your garden? I have a major problem with a certain garden pest this year and I don't know how I'm going to eradicate them...black bears walking through my garden! But my hummingbirds are back so instead of worrying over the very large, I just wait and watch for the very small.

Hang in there......................Jenny

Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hi Jenny,

I have four gardens, and plant everything from raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, black raspberries, herbs, butterfly bushes, hydreaga's (spelling ?), clematis, columbine, peonies, bee balm, honeysuckle, etc. I like to plant things that attract hummingbirds and butterflies (but not bears). I am fortunately not in an area with bear, so I do not have to worry about that. I always like to put in some annuals each year too. I teach a class for students entering their BBA program. I teach students to write in correct APA format, as they need to complete a series of research papers in their program in proper APA format.

I actually have an appt with my surgeon next Tuesday, so I hope to have some further news about the constant swelling and fluid; I will keep you posted. One other thing that bothers me about this knee of mine. From the time of the first surgery, I have skin darkening down my leg (from my knee, down my shin). Nobody seems to be able to tell me why this is happening. It is much worse since the last surgery, and looks like thousands of tiny broken blood vessels. Have you experienced this? The only answer I have been given for this is that sometimes this can happen with chronic swelling. It bothers me, and is quite pronounced, especially when compared to the other leg. I am a giant mystery I guess. I like things to be straight-forward, and am always wanting to know why things happen. When I do not get the answers to my "why" questions, I get frustrated.

Best Regards,
verydisciplined

Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Thinking about the discoloration of your leg....I imagine if you had swelling in the leg as well, the pressure alone might cause the tiny capillaries might very well break leading to an overall bruised appearance. I know when just my knees are swollen, the opposite has happened in that my legs goes white from lack of circulation to the foot. Right now I have swelling above and below the knee....I think. It feels more like it's swollen from inside yet the doc says there isn't much fluid in the knee and perhaps this is tissue swelling from inflammation and not fluid. But I'm on 2 of the most powerful anti-inflammatories there are so why is there inflammation at all?

Anyhow, I hope they have some answers for you soon.

I have 3 flower gardens and I'm just getting into the veggie/fruit gardening. We not only have bear but deer and they've killed my flower gardens every year until I started to figure out what they don't like. And lucky for me, they don't like lavender so I'm in the process of ringing the gardens with a border of lavender. Nothing makes me more upset that watching a day lily bloom grow and grow and you know it's about to pop the next day and you go out to see the it and it's been eaten overnight! But as a bonus, with the lavender, my yard smells wonderful and I get to make gifts for everyone out of the blooms so it is a win/win situation......no deer dinners and I get gifts with great scents.

I just put in the raspberries and black raspberries this year...any hints? How soon will I get fruit? Any good ideas on controlling the spread of the plants?

Hope you are feeling better today..................Jenny

Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your reply. The discoloration down my leg takes on a brownish appearance, not really a purple bruised look. My husband severed two tendons in his hand yesterday while cutting some plastic with a razor blade, so I had to take him to the ER. We could not get a handicap spot to park, and I had to walk a long way to get in the building. By the time I got in the building, the doctor put me in a bed next to him in an effort to help my knee. Today, the swelling has increased significantly, and I am pretty miserable. My hubby is at the surgeon's office, since they could not reattach his tendons in the ER. He will likely have surgery on Friday to reattach the tendons.

I am swollen all the way down to my foot today, and it worries me. I have so much fluid and tissue swelling it is making me miserable. Just putting weight on my leg is terribly painful today. I have been off work on disability since November, and since this last disaster with my surgery, they extended my release date from June to July, but will reevaluate if that date is even realistic when we get closer to July. I want to get back to my normal life, but that may not happen for a while yet.

As far as your berries bushes are concerned, when I planted my raspberries, I had fruit the same year, but not with my blackberries or black raspberries. However, both are loaded with berry buds already, so I am looking forward to a lot of fruit on them (just planted those two last summer). I planted mine in a spot they could just spread as they wanted. Each year, additional shoots come out of the ground, as the bushes spread and spread. It is such fun to go out with a bowl and pick my berries. They seem so much sweeter when they are fresh from the bush....yummy! I did not know lavendar was a deterrent for deer, as we do have deer in our yard from time to time. However, they do not seem to come close enough to the house to eat the fruit I planted. We have a creek that run through our property, so we do have a lot of wildlife (deer, ground hogs, raccoon, skunks, possum, rabbits, etc). The groundhogs were so destructive a couple of years ago, we live-trapped them and relocated them. I actually caught about 9 of them, but we found some nice state land to release them, so I am confident they liked their new home. They were actually digging under the foundation of our barn, so they had to go.

All my best!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

When it rains it pours, doesn't it?

With all that soft tissue swelling I'd call your ortho ASAP. You are at risk for blood clots with much swelling and you don't need more problems. You might be able to rent one of those machines that gently squeezes the calf to keep circulation going and press the swelling out of your leg. Even ACE bandages lightly wrapped around the leg should help or at the very least, compression stockings.

That amount of swelling scares me. I hope you call or see the doc.

And good luck to hubby....cut tendons is a long haul...about a year to get full function back.

I'll be back later hoping to hear you called your doc.

gentle hugs.................Jenny

Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hi Jenny,

Bless your heart for worrying about me like this; I appreciate your kindness. I actually already have the cold-compression machine here (have had it for weeks), and use it often. In addition, I have about 12 pair of compression stockings, and still wear one on my surgery leg. My knee feels worse when I take it off, so I just continue to wear it. When I had my cancer, I developed blood clots from my jugular vein, down my right arm (I thought it was worsening lymphedema from having all of the lympnodes removed under my arm). The clots were caused by a combination of the radiation and hormone supression therapy. I was on blood thinners for six months, and had dopplers done every month to check the progress. I am always mindful of blood clots, as is my PT, so we are keeping an eye on that. After my surgery in November, I was having a lot of calf pain, so I hightailed it to the ER for a doppler, but I was clot-free. I do not mess around if I suspect a clot, I go right away to get it checked out. I will wait and see my surgeon on Tuesday, unless my PT sees something she feels I should have looked at right away. I like my PT, she has been with me from the beginning of my knee issues. I saw a different therapist once, and she got pretty freaked out with my knee. You can literally watch the swelling increase after about 5 minutes of PT. I guess she went to another therapist and said she did not know what to do. That is definately not the PT for me! My PT just happened to have an emergency that day, so I saw a different PT during that appt.

The weather here is supposed to be in the 80's today, so I am excited about that. Yesterday in the early evening hours, we saw hummingbirds in my honeysuckle: just awesome!

How are your knees doing? When do you see the doctor again?

All my best to you!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I'm glad to hear you are on top of clots. That makes me feel less worried but I am worried about that swelling. I shouldn't be because I had the same situation with my left knee for years....you could watch it swell. But it's been fine since the replacements.

I also have a PT I love and use whenever I need someone. Only problem is she works part time so I don't always get her. He husband is an orthopedic surgeon so she is really knowledgeable. He's not my doc. And she's had some major problems herself so she knows. Specializes in working with spine patients(that was when I met her...after breaking my neck)but now works with me on everything. If she has questions about anything, she asks her hubby and does the research to know what I'm dealing with. Even calls to see how I'm doing when I'm not in PT.

Is your hubby having the tendons repaired tomorrow?

We are also in the 80's today after 2 days of cold rain. My hummers are back and I need to go change their feeder as I imagine the rain has watered down the sugar water. I've had to remove all the other feeders due to the bears. I've learned over the years to have only wooden feeders so I can rebuild them after they take them apart. But the last time they visited, it was mama and junior(junior is now at least 2-3 and is about 200 pounds) and 2 bears is 2 too many for me. Dad is about 400 pounds and a regular, mom is about 300 pounds. Had a tagged bear try to put it's head through my cat flap last year...very inquisitive and not afraid of people. Whenever they find a bear in populated areas they tend to relocate them to our area so we are getting more and more bears that are used to humans. It can get very scary. I was in the garden 2 weeks ago when I sensed something behind me and it was junior.....20 feet behind me. That was when I found out that very stiff and painful knees are still capable of running.

I was supposed to be tested for possible allergies to the metals in my knees but the allergist called yesterday to tell me that he did some investigation and that the tests they've been using really don't show anything conclusive and he'd rather do nothing than point me in the wrong direction. But he doesn't think it's allergy. I would have reacted before now. So that's one more possibility cause scratched off the list. Slowly we winnow down the list of possible causes of the problems. Infection still tops the list.

So I am waiting to hear from my arthritis doc to see if I go back to the ortho. They were supposed to talk but as of now, nobody is talking to me. I really don't care if I have to wait a while. I want my gardens in good shape before I end up laid up with both knees operated on. The surgery for infection is rather gross and old fashioned and I really don't want to go through it but if I have to, I have to.

So I guess you are in a waiting mode until Tuesday except for dealing with hubby. You 2 will be a great pair...his hand doesn't work and your knee doesn't work......fun. Mine just works way to hard and is never here. Gone since Sunday and due back tonight.

Well, I'm heading out to get some stuff done today while I don't hurt so badly. Please take good care of yourself.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hi Jenny,

I meant to address this in my last post, but got off track (sorry). I am also having severe problems with ROM. I can only bend my knee to about 60 degrees, and the PT has been working on bending it, but the pain is extreme (I almost back right off the table). I have never lost ROM like this before, and it is worrisome. I feel like something is machanically blocking my ability to bend my knee. It feels like something is in my knee from the lateral side, all the way across the top of my knee. I started feeling this band of something after the drain was removed from my knee. My family works with me at home to bend my knee, that coupled with my PT, but really am not gaining any ROM. Has this happened to you too post-op? I just cannot believe all the complications I have been experiencing. I had a CPM machine here for weeks, and used it. After my hematoma complication, they took me off the CPM for a little while, because the swelling in my knee and trying to bend it was popping the drain hole open daily, and I was bleeding constantly. In an effort to get the hole to close, they wanted me to sit with my knee perfectly straight. I am not sure if this was enough for more scarring to build, and now I am back to square one. Any information/advice you can offer is very much appreciated. It is so disappointing to still have this level of pain, swelling, loss of ROM, loss of quad strength, and fluid in my knee 4 weeks out from surgery.

All my best to you!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

I do know that any kind of inflammation of the synovium will result in a stiffened joint. That is what happens in rheumatoid arthritis. RA is not like osteoarthritis in that the cartilage starts to fall apart and then that affects the bone. In RA, the synovium becomes inflamed and that inflammation affects the entire joint causing stiffness and pain. It also causes erosion of the bone and then that causes the entire joint to deteriorate. So inflammation from bleeding and fluid can definitely cause your ROM problems. Mine are also stiff but I have worked hard to keep them moving. Having to keep your knee still and straight has probably caused the stiffness. You might need a manipulation under anesthesia to break up the scar tissue once it has stopped swelling.

But I'd say it is pretty normal after what you've been through. I know it's frequently done after knee replacement as the swelling stops you from bending it and the scar tissue builds very fast.

But first you need to heal.

gentle bending hugs..............Jenny

Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hi Jenny,

I was afraid you would say that. I am nervous about the possibility of manipulation under anethesia. My PT has me scared to death of this possibility (she is a bit of an alarmist). She told me he could tear my muscle, or break the femur doing this. My cancer resulted in a mastectomy and hysterectomy. This has led the way for me to have osteoporosis at a young age. I have osteoporosis in my spine, hips, and long bones in my arms and legs. I have had issues with synovitis in my knee for a long time now, but I do not have rheumatoid arthritis. I hope my surgeon will allow me to work on the ROM a bit longer, but I understand there is a time window for having the joint manipulated?

I sure hope you are doing well, and not having too much pain and problems with your knees today. I will be interested to know if your docs find that your knees are infected, or is some other process is going on.

Wishing you a good day, with lots of flowers and hummers.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Hi VeryD.......good luck when you see your ortho tomorrow. I hope he doesn't suggest a manipulation. I've heard they are painful. I'm seeing mine next week...someone has to decide what to do next.

Let me know what happens and what he decides to do.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
(female)

verydisciplined HB User

Hi Jenny,

I saw my ortho yesterday, but did not get home until late, so I did not log on last night. He spent about 45 minutes with me (he is really awesome), and did drain the fluid yet again (I believe that makes 13 times since November), and the fluid was sent again for analysis (as is standard procedure), but the fluid did not appear as though infection is present. He changed some things for my PT, and was rather appalled that my PT was aggresively bending my knee. My kneecap is a little too tight, and he wants her to work on loosening it up a bit (gently), because he noted that patella entrapement is a hugh problem. He reminded me that I am only a month out from double surgery in a week's time, and I have a long road ahead of me. First and foremost, he wants the cycle of inflammation broken. He does want me to do less, but I am not sure how much less I can do? He understands how disappointed it is for me not to be able to garden this year, but he really does not even want me to try right now

He said that manipulation is a consideration, but it is too soon to even start thinking about that right now, since it would likely do more harm to my knee. My knee is so sensitive to any stress, he is afraid that forcing it to bend will increase the swelling dramatically, and cause the swelling, fluid, pain, and scar formation to continue.

So, I am in a holding pattern, but am hoping the PT changes he wants will help things along a bit more. He does not want my PT to make me cry anymore, he said that is a big problem that he does not want to happen again. When they ream on it so hard, it shuts down completely, and the swelling just gets worse and worse, and the fluid builds more and more, then the quad shuts down, and the scar tissue builds.

How are you doing? Any word on your knee?

All my best to you.

Closed Thread