It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
(male)

philpa67 HB User
Nerve pain after knee replacement

when standing after sitting or lying down I have nerve pain that shoots down to my foot...is this a normal situation?

Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Nerve pain after knee replacement

When was your TKR? The incision down the front of the knee cuts small nerves and the nerves take the longest to heal.....8-10 months. I had to have an incision that went to the inside of my knee in order to go along the line of a previous scar and they cut a large nerve in the skin. Had those electrical shooting pains for 2 years. But even those healed.

So if the surgery is recent, it will take time. All tissues heal at different rates and nerves and muscle fibers take the longest.

good luck.............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpa67 View Post
when standing after sitting or lying down I have nerve pain that shoots down to my foot...is this a normal situation?
I frequently have that and my PT said it could take a year for that to heal.
I went to the Health Food store and spoke with a knowledgeable woman who tested something called Skin Gel on the incision and it takes away that itching and burning for a short time. Also suggested was to massage the area a few times a day with any lotion. Some say use something with vitamin E in it, but not sure that makes any difference.
I have even worn that awful Ted Hose for more support when on the treadmill or the bike. Might be in my head, but I think it makes it feel a tad better. Now that summmer is finally arriving I doubt that I will be able to stand those hose on.
Has anyone done their exercises in the pool? The one near me that has classes are far too aerobic for me and the the classes for therapy are so far away I know I would not bother going. Plus I'm not a pool person and it's such a pain to have to get into a bathing suit, etc. I have done it only one time. There is a wonderful hot tub, but I'm told that may make the knee swell so will check with my doc when I see him next week. There are many that claim that using a pool for your exercises are good for you. Anyone?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
(female)

greggndeb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpa67 View Post
I also have nerve pain after total knee replacement. My surgery was July 23, so I am almost 4 months post op. The nerve pain is just new for me, after having a good recovery experience. The Dr. today said "I had just overdone it" - but it seems as if there is a "catching" and irritation that has not been there before.

Anyone else have this happen?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
(male)

murphaloha HB User

I am 8 weeks post TKR. There were problems with the femoral nerve block given during surgery. It was to last 16 to 24 hours but did not wear off for 2 days during which my entire leg was numb. Now my inner thigh and inner calf are numb with hyper sensitive skin in those locations. I have also constant pain in my butt at the point where the sciatic nerve ends. My Doctors seems to think it is related to the nerve block. They have no answer as to a fix, in the mean time I get no relief from the pain.

Closed Thread