It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

lotus8 HB User
low grade fever two weeks after both knees were replaced

My mother went through total knee replacement surgery outside US. She started with low grade fever almost two weeks after the surgery and after being discharged from the hospital. Tynelol did not help at all and fever fluctuated between 99.5-100.5. A week after, she was asked to take brufen. Fever became normal but came back after 9-10 hours. She has had a couple of doses of brufen so far. She sweats a lot after brufen but feels better. She is showing no other symptom of concern. The knees look okay, no redishness, CBC normal.
Its been a week now with the fever. Could anyone please shed light on what could be causing this based on his/her experience ofthis surgery.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: low grade fever two weeks after both knees were replaced

I know everyone immediately thinks "infection" but if her knees were infected, she's probably have more symptoms. I am being tested right now for infections on both knees but mine were replaced 11 years ago so it's a possible infection from elsewhere in my body. A post-op infection is far worse and usually rather dramatic when it happens.

But when my knees were replaced, I also ran slight fevers and was told it was probably from bone marrow escaping into the blood stream from the bone being exposed. I was 102 for a couple of days and then that low grade stuff for several days afterward.

Just keep an eye on them. If they start to really hurt or get red and swollen along with the fever, then you need to do something. But just a low grade fever may be from another cause.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread