It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

pauline miller HB User
after knee replacement does anyone have pain in foot & ankle

Had new knee 18days ago. Not able to sleep even with painkillers because of nagging pain in foot & ankle. Getting so tired. Is this common? Also can hardly bend knee even though I am quite good at straightening. Was fit & active before op. walked 6 miles day before & played 18 holes golf a few days before that(with a painkiller & knee strapped). Made sure that I did muscles strengthening excercises for 3 weeks before op. Now wish that I had not had it done & feel tearful a lot of the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: after knee replacement does anyone have pain in foot & ankle

Have you asked your Ortho about this pain? I have so mny odd pains I don't know where they are coming from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

pauline miller HB User

had op with my private health care, they only give physio once a week. If I had gone national health a physio would have come to my house 3 times a week, so much for paying for your op. it does not seem fair. Anyway going to see physio next Monday will ask her but in meantime would love some sleep as it is getting me down.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Hi Pauline,
Sounds like everything you're going through is normal. I went through many similar nights. I would suggest to you to go through the posts here on TKR. There are a few closed threads that might be a good reads for you. Several folks had TKR surgery within a few months of each other and the thread is almost a day by day journal of the entire experience. One in particular was emensley helpful to me.
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

Grumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB UserGrumpyathome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauline miller View Post
Had new knee 18days ago. Not able to sleep even with painkillers because of nagging pain in foot & ankle. Getting so tired. Is this common? Also can hardly bend knee even though I am quite good at straightening. Was fit & active before op. walked 6 miles day before & played 18 holes golf a few days before that(with a painkiller & knee strapped). Made sure that I did muscles strengthening excercises for 3 weeks before op. Now wish that I had not had it done & feel tearful a lot of the time.
Pauline - As JerseyBoy said, what you are going through sounds pretty normal. It is still very early in your recovery. My ankle and leg were black and blue for weeks. But, you should feel free to call your Doc's office and ask, they may want to check it out.
Sleeping is difficult the first couple of months. Nap when you can, nights are tough. I could not get comfortable or stay in one position long. I watched all kinds of TV during the night (the Olympics were on so I saw a lot of that) Try icing your ankle too. The painkillers can make you tired, weepy and out of sorts.
Work on both your extension and flex with your exercises the PT or hospital should have given you. Both are so important. There were times that the exercises brought me to tears. But it does get better, I was on painkillers for 3 months, and now just tylenol occasionally. I am doing normal things now that I haven't been able to do for years.
Good luck - Grumpy

Right TKR 1/19/2010

Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
(female)

Cal08 HB User

You had major surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago...give yourself a break and some more time to recover! This is huge surgery and it will take time to recover.

It is great that you are already getting great extension in the knee. That is critical and something they watch very, very closely. My understanding is that they are less concerned if it takes you a longer time to get back your flexion.

I found that I did best when I didn't fight the knee...some times it wanted to gain more extension and some times it wanted to get flexion. It seemed that I could only get one or the other so that is how I ended up exercising and doing PT. When I tried to do everything at once the knee just locked up and I didn't make any progress at all.

I would strongly urge you to pass you foot and ankle question past your orthopedic surgeon just to make sure that there is nothing wrong. In my case it was the sign of something being very right. After years and years of walking with a flexion contracture in the knee my foot had compensated as well. The surgery put the knee into alignment which of course affected the foot. For the first time in years it also was in alignment. So yes, I did have pain in my foot because it was stretching out and acting like a real foot again. The delightful thing is that I can now wear just about any shoes I want to wear after years of being stuck in athletic shoes.

I also had a foot/ankle issue because the original adjustment on the CPM I was using at home was not correct. If you are using a CPM that may be something to check.

Give yourself time to heal and keep focused on the wonderful things that you will be able to do pain-free once your healing is complete. This is a tough surgery and a tough rehab but the results can transform your life in an incredibly positive way.

Good luck

Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
(female)

pauline miller HB User

Thanks for that. You could be right although I did not have a limp & seemed
to walk normally before op. I could have been compensating with my foot &
ankle. Due to hardly sleeping at all I am thinking of asking my Dr. for
sleeping pills, I have never had these before but I am usually a good
sleeper & finding it difficult to cope with this lack of sleep which can't
be helping the healing process. Has anyone had any experience with sleeping
pills? What is a CPM I am in U K so maybe we don't have these. Thanks for
everyone's support I have a wonderful husband who is cooking me fabulous
meals, shops, cleans the house & does laundry (he has not managed ironing
yet a friend came & did that) it makes me feel guilty & frustrated not being
able to help much. At least he has left me this morning & gone off
ice-dancing which I am so pleased about because he must be missing it as he
normally skates 3 times a week.
Keep up the good work. Pauline

Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

CPM=Continous Passive Motion - a devise that your leg is strapped into which then flexs and extends your leg. Many here swear by this machine. I actually became quite anxious when I found out my doctor would not be sending me home with one. As a matter of fact I only had it the first night after surgery The doc came in the morning and saw the way my leg was laying out to the side and cancelled the order. I am currently at 11 1/2 week and I think I did fine without the CPM.

As for sleeping pills, my doc perscribed Ambien which worked quite nicely. I only needed them for about a month or so. But I would surely ask for them if you're not getting any sleep.
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
(male)

BAReich HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauline miller View Post
I'm 22 days out of surgery for total knee replacement. My foot burns, tingles, extremely painful since my surgery. I also have a deep vain trombois under my knee. Have you found any relief from your foot pain? Not certain where to go from here with controlling this unexpected pain.

Closed Thread