It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

gclaec HB Usergclaec HB User
fell hard on bent knee now what?

Hello
Let me first say I have never had a knee problem before but I do have Lupus which causes pain anyway.

Last tuesday I was rushing around I slipped and went flying in air and landed directly on my knee which was bent, on a hard parcelian tile floor. I heard crack, never felt so much pain. I got very sick and about passed out, my daughter put cold packs on my neck cause she said I was white as a ghost.

Was not able to move or walk on it, went to er, I could not straighten my leg at all, every little touch I was in agony, I even cried and screamed. Xray said no break, and I was told would need MRI in a week when inflamation went down, that I probably "tore something" I was put in a straight full leg imobilizer given crutches and pain medicine, and told make appointment with ortho for 1 week. Till them do not take off imobilizer only to go in bath, no standing or walking without support.

I have appoint Wed with ortho. I am still in terrible pain, when open brace and even try to touch knee it is painful, even the brace rubbing on knee hurts very bad. My husband slightly touched my knee and it felt like a pooping feeling. the inside of knee is more painful and it does not look that swollen but it almost looks like a bubble on knee cap then there is like an indent. also when you touch knee it feels like numb painful eeling like needles. I can not lift my leg, put any pressure on it or bend or straighten it. There seems to be alot of crackling in whole area.

Please anyone, does this sound like a tear? what can make it feel better? should I wait the few days or call and tell the dr I feel worse? Thanks,, What can be done for a tear and how can you tell if there is one. Has anyone ever got hurt like this from a fall?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User
Re: fell hard on bent knee now what?

Hi,
I would recommend staying off of it as much as possible for awhile. Ice should help a lot, and I would use a lot of it Keep taking your meds as perscribed. It's hard to say something is torn without an MRI, but I can tell you that when I had a torn medial menicus there was some pain and my knee would lock out which caused a lot of pain. Chances are you have a very severe bruise and unfortunately the only thing that will fix that is time. Please do keep us posted and good luck with it
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

See your ortho on Wednesday. One of the odd things with the knee is that injuries often don't show up right away.....even fractures. There is so much cartilage that it can hide a fracture from the x-rays.

It almost sounds like you've broken your kneecap. That would go along with being unable to lift it as the quadriceps muscle on the front of the thigh is connected to the lower leg via the knee cap. It would also account for the swelling you saw and feel.

For now, use ice packs on it if you can tolerate the pressure....15 minutes every hour...don't need frost bite on top of it. Take whatever they gave you for pain and stay off of the leg....you could do more damage.

Wednesday will be here soon enough and by then the swelling should be down enough to get good x-rays and even do a CT or MRI if needed. Sometimes swollen knees look a lot worse than they are and the doc can't get a good look at the injury.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

hugs...............Jenny(14 knee surgeries and counting)

Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
(female)

went to ortho last week n he sent me for the mri..

Turns out I have a fractured Patella and a torn meniscus. I have to wait 3 weeks then they will discuss what they will do for torn meniscus. For now, no weight bearing.. UGH,, I am still in sooo much pain, especially when I try to sleep at night. Not sure what else they will do. Anyone?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

The only thing I would think is pleanty of ice. Going for LTKR tomorrow morning, UGH!!
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
(female)

Good Luck Hope all goes well!!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for the well wishes

I'll be posting again as soon as I feel up to it. I do hope you start feeling better Stay down as best you can, ice, ice, ice. Do what your doctor says
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Closed Thread