It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

LDJ HB User
Knee Injury with swelling

To let you know a bit about what happened...

A week ago tomorrow I had walked down from a curb to a parking lot and I believe my ankle had twisted a bit with my left leg and I had landed really hard on my right knee. Right away of course there was swelling on the knee and bruising. Since then I have figured with doing some research online that I have water on the knee however the bruising and swelling seems to be spreading. From my knee all the way down to my toes now it is swollen to the point where it feels like my skin is going to split open and even my toes are bruised along with my whole lower leg, ankle and such.

Any advice would be great. I've been avoiding going in because I do not have any health insurance but it's looking really bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Knee Injury with swelling

As a measure of first aid you should elevate the leg and applying ice to the swollen area (the knee to start with since it's the source of the swelling). If you have any medical problems (circulation problems, blood disorders, etc) you need to get to an Emergency Room quickly.

You don't necessarily have "water on the knee". That is more often something that is there after an injury or as a result of knee dysfunction. It may be more of a knee and lower leg injury with the soft tissues swelling as a result. Sounds like because you also twisted your ankle you could have soft tissue (muscle, ligament, and tendon) damage from the knee down to the ankle.

A visit to urgent care would be your best first step if you are unable to see your primary care doctor. You want an x-ray of the knee just to see if you did any bone damage and they can also examine you for knee stability (to the best of their ability given the swelling) to see if you may have any defined ligament or tendon damage.

Soft tissue injuries such as this, or severely sprained ankles, etc, are much more painful than a simple fracture. There is so much affected that there is a lot of swelling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Knee Injury with swelling

I would get to a doctor as soon as possible before this gets worse.

Closed Thread