It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

mwoodward15 HB User
3rd degree ACL tear & medial meniscus tear

Please help! On June 30th I tore my ACL and the "posterior horn of the medial meniscus". The ortho told me that I should proceed with 6 weeks of PT 3x a week and that I should just proceed "as normal" in my activities - no leg stabilizer, wrapping, or anything on the knee.

Well, I have been trying to "be normal" but at least 2x a day my leg swings back and my knee locks tight, to the point where I have to have someone help straighten it. After that it is at least an hour before I can even move and regain full feeling in my foot. This does not allow for a "normal" life and I feel myself getting more and more depressed. I am a mom of 2 small children, work full time an hour away from home and I do not have family nearby to help out.

I guess my question is with an injury such as mine, is it typical for a doc not to have me brace the knee or to recommend any type of stabilizer? I was in and out of his office so fast I am wondering if he even read the whole MRI report......this just doesn't seem right to me but this is the first time I've ever had an injury so I am totally in the dark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: 3rd degree ACL tear & medial meniscus tear

I'd see another ortho if I were you....even if it's just to get a second opinion. If the ACL isn't completely torn it can be fixed and a torn medial meniscus can also be fixed or the torn part removed.

Letting the swelling go down is one thing but this is nuts. Get a second opinion from an ortho who does nothing but knees and hips. Call any large ortho group and ask who does knees only or hips and knees only. They usually have someone who specializes in just those joints.

This just doesn't sound right and I had the same injury with torn medial collateral ligaments thrown in just to add insult to injury.

hugs...........Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I agree with Jenny. If your knee is locking either a surgeon or PT may be suggesting some kind of bracing to protect the knee and avoid further problems. Get a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon that is very "sports medicine" oriented. My surgeon works with the local professional hockey team and spring training teams. For things like ACL a doctor who is "performance" oriented is the best.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

mwoodward15 HB User

thanks all - took your advice (and the advice of my PT) and have appt at Rothman in Philadelphia......the PT also pointed out my MRI shows "trochlear osteochondral defect" which my ortho never even mentioned. Just great. Again, thanks for the advice and wish me luck

Closed Thread