It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

mrsrjg HB User
Bone graft and knee reconstruction

Hi everyone hope you don't mind me posting here. I had a bone graph and knee reconstruction surgery done 3/2/03. The bone graph was done from cadaver bone and I now have a metal plate with approximately 20 or so screws....sorry I've only seen the x-rays a few times and it's hard to count how many are literally in there. Needless to say I had to learn how to walk again after this as I suffer from a TBI as well.

Anyhow, I'm young, 27, was 20 when this happened and I was told back then I would need a knee replacement by the time I'm 30. I know I need to have at least some of the hardware removed but of course that's a long process and being the mother of 2 young children I'm still holding thing off for as long as I can. I'm curious though has anyone else been through something similar? When you got your knee replaced how long did it take to recover? I'm frightened a bit by the magnitude of it all, silly I'm sure.

I do have severe pain daily, don't do well in cold weather, am not on any prescription drugs, have issues walking at various times, knee collapses often and I cannot run without it causing me searing pain. I realize these are some petty issues compared to never being able to walk. I'm not in PT any longer and haven't been since 5 months after my ordeal. I do still try and use some of the stretches and exercises I learned but it provides little to no relief. Thanks for letting me babble and please if you have an advice or info I'd greatly welcome it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
(male)

Feral1 HB User
Re: Bone graft and knee reconstruction

I fell off a two story house about 18 years ago and crushed the right knee joint when I landed with the knee locked. I have metal plates and screws still in place. I have been having severe pain the last year. I wonder if the screws and metal strip running down the front and side of the lower knee joint bones will have to be removed prior or during surgery. Anyone have experience with this?

Closed Thread