It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
(male)

brandon1303 HB User
Angry knee Swelling, fluid, popping

My knee has been swollen for about a month now. It also pops when I walk. I'm worried I'm going to have to go back for surgery again. does anybody have any suggestions?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: knee Swelling, fluid, popping

What kind of surgery did you have in the first place? Could you have re-injured it? I've had 14 knee surgeries and I know a thing or 2 about knees so I'd be glad to help but need to know what you were operated on for first.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
What kind of surgery did you have in the first place? Could you have re-injured it? I've had 14 knee surgeries and I know a thing or 2 about knees so I'd be glad to help but need to know what you were operated on for first.

Jenny
I had a piece of torn cartilage that needed to be removed.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

jinxm29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1303 View Post
My knee has been swollen for about a month now. It also pops when I walk. I'm worried I'm going to have to go back for surgery again. does anybody have any suggestions?
My father in law has worked construction all his life and has knee issues. Recently he has been taking this all natural supplement called neprinol. You might look into it.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Once you've torn a piece of the meniscus(the pad of cartilage between the joint surfaces as opposed to the cartilage that covers the ends of the bones) it puts you are risk of tearing it again. It's shaped like a disk but thicker on the outside edge and thinner in the middle. Once you tear any part of it, it is left open to more friction and tearing is not unusual to end up slowly destroying the entire disk.

And it sure sounds like you've done something to it.

You need to have a doc order an MRI of your knee to see if that is what you've done.

Once you know, then you can look at options but usually surgery is best to get the junk out of your knee.

Sorry...I've been through it with both knees.

Jenny

Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

Quote:
Once you've torn a piece of the meniscus(the pad of cartilage between the joint surfaces as opposed to the cartilage that covers the ends of the bones) it puts you are risk of tearing it again. It's shaped like a disk but thicker on the outside edge and thinner in the middle. Once you tear any part of it, it is left open to more friction and tearing is not unusual to end up slowly destroying the entire disk.

And it sure sounds like you've done something to it.

You need to have a doc order an MRI of your knee to see if that is what you've done.

Once you know, then you can look at options but usually surgery is best to get the junk out of your knee.

Sorry...I've been through it with both knees.

Jenny
Thats what I was afraid of....I'm hoping I can stay out of surgery.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxm29 View Post
My father in law has worked construction all his life and has knee issues. Recently he has been taking this all natural supplement called neprinol. You might look into it.
Is it like glucosamine/MSM?

I've tried that before. It helped, but not enough.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

No supplements or drugs can help a torn piece of meniscus because it has no blood supply so anything you put into you, can't reach it.

Save your money and get an MRI.

Jenny

PS...all the hype about glucosamine...turned out every single study done showing it worked was done by companies owned by the sellers of glucosamine. Every independent study has shown no effect. Once again, been taken by the drug pushers.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

Quote:
No supplements or drugs can help a torn piece of meniscus because it has no blood supply so anything you put into you, can't reach it.

Save your money and get an MRI.

Jenny

PS...all the hype about glucosamine...turned out every single study done showing it worked was done by companies owned by the sellers of glucosamine. Every independent study has shown no effect. Once again, been taken by the drug pushers.
I've heard that the blood supply is very low to the knees....don't know how true that is.

I'm desperate to try anything that isn't surgery....

I was bored and did some googling on neprinol. I don't really understand how it works but apparently its enzymes. how that helps my knee, I'm not sure.

anybody else heard of it?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Unless you are taking it and injecting it directly into your knee joint, it can't get to the meniscus if it is torn. Period. The torn piece has NO blood supply at all and so can't heal. But it can sit there and tear up all the other cartilage in your knee.

Find out what is wrong first.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

Quote:
Unless you are taking it and injecting it directly into your knee joint, it can't get to the meniscus if it is torn. Period. The torn piece has NO blood supply at all and so can't heal. But it can sit there and tear up all the other cartilage in your knee.

Find out what is wrong first.
that doesnt make sense....i could believe REDUCED blood supply...but none?
the thought makes me question how the body grew the cartilage in the first place. even bones have blood supply. I'm not saying your wrong i just need to do more research for myself.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

The meniscus has a very limited blood supply but once a piece actually tears off the main meniscus, it is free floating in the joint and can go anywhere. It has torn free from it's blood supply. Sometimes, on very rare occasions, the torn part will stay right where it was and does not move and the main piece of meniscus, in repairing itself, can cause a scar to form re-joining the piece but I've heard of 1 person having that happen. I had a tear where the piece did not tear free but flipped over 180* and ended up in the center of the femoral condyle so it had a tiny blood supply but where it landed, did terrible damage to the joint. Wore through the articular cartilage on the end of the femoral condyle in no time so when it was finally removed, I was left bone to bone.

But most tears are free floating within the joint, having left their limited blood supply behind them and just causing major problems in the knee.

Research away...I did too...and with 14 knee surgeries I have learned a lot.

Jenny

Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

Quote:
The meniscus has a very limited blood supply but once a piece actually tears off the main meniscus, it is free floating in the joint and can go anywhere. It has torn free from it's blood supply. Sometimes, on very rare occasions, the torn part will stay right where it was and does not move and the main piece of meniscus, in repairing itself, can cause a scar to form re-joining the piece but I've heard of 1 person having that happen. I had a tear where the piece did not tear free but flipped over 180* and ended up in the center of the femoral condyle so it had a tiny blood supply but where it landed, did terrible damage to the joint. Wore through the articular cartilage on the end of the femoral condyle in no time so when it was finally removed, I was left bone to bone.

But most tears are free floating within the joint, having left their limited blood supply behind them and just causing major problems in the knee.

Research away...I did too...and with 14 knee surgeries I have learned a lot.

Jenny
hey jenny,

It looks like your right from what I've been able to find. limited blood supply UNLESS its completely torn off. I also tracked down the Neprinol supplement that one person mentioned. I called the manufacturer and talked to a guy for probably a half hour, interesting stuff. I took notes of what he told me, and then I went out on the internet to try and verify all of it. Apparently it works by dissolving the scar tissue in the knee. He also confirmed the reduced blood supply to the knee. I have a lot of research to do, I'll post back when I have more info.

P.S. got a DR appointment scheduled....5 weeks away....geez

Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Luckily some problems can be fixed via arthroscopic surgery. My last arthroscopy of my right knee (which is a mess) took about 30 minutes. We got to the surgery center at 11am, surgery was at Noon, I was in recovery at 12:30 and discharged at 1:00. Basic recovery took the weekend and then a few sessions of Physical Therapy. I had floating bodies in the knee as well as a prior incision that had to be re-sewn as fluid was causing a bulge at that point.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
(male)

brandon1303 HB User

ok....

So I had the crazy idea of calling other people who sell Neprinol to see if I could "compare notes" and see if their story is consistent. WOW...was that a waste of time! Most of them have no idea what they are selling. I called about 10 places and only found one knowledgeable sales person.

You would think that people would take a little time to know what they are selling. It's like a vacuum salesman that cant even tell you what its used for!

ok ok...end rant.

So the one person I found with any knowledge was helpful, and confirmed all the things I learned from the manufacturer. She even sent me some studies. I have some more reading to do. If I do buy Neprinol, I'll probably buy from her.

Closed Thread