It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
(male)

sfadct HB User
Stryker Triathlon Knee Prosthesis

My right knee replacement (Stryker) has not been so successful. Yes, I no longer have pain 24 hours a day but I sure do have pain climbing stairs, ladders and getting in and out of vehicles. Seems there is a sharp pain when I bend the knee and put weight on it. Just recently had it scoped and cleaned out hoping that scare tissue might be the problem, to no avail???? Yes, I do have lots of popping when I walk. Anyone else having my problems?????

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
(female)

KatyHex HB User
Re: Stryker Triathlon Knee Prosthesis

How long has it been since your first surgery? I has been over 8 months since my surgery and I am grateful that I experience little or no pain. Of course, I had no pain before the surgery so it isn't so surprising that I am not experiencing it now.

My only disappointment with my new knee is that it still feels like a prosthesis. It doesn't feel like a real organic knee. I am always aware that it is artificial. Even though my right knee (the unreplaced one) is in bad shape (It doesn't bend past 110 degrees and it doesn't straighten all the way) it still feels like it is my knee. I am going to hang onto it as long as it works well enough to get me around and doesn't cause me a lot of pain. I would keep up the physical therapy and use pain meds to keep me moving around. I am an avid bike rider which I suspect has had a lot to do with my good outcome. I got on my bike as soon as I could after surgery. I told a friend who asked me how I could ride so soon after surgery that my knee got better with every mile I rode on my bike and it was true. It did hurt a bit to ride at first. I started out on a stationary bike and only did it for about 5 minutes the first time and then increased the time as my endurance improved. It was scary getting on a real bike for the first time. I only went around the block a few times.

I hope your situation improves and wish I could be of more help.

Last edited by KatyHex; 01-20-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
(male)

Boentgru HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirleh View Post
I had a left TKR Jan 23 of this year. Is there anyone who had the same surgery with the same prosthesis? If so, how are you doing?
Stryker Triathlon on 22 Feb 2010. Doing well, ROM 110 degree, wound healing well, pain non-existant after 6 weeks post op.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
(male)

heli jockey HB User

2 years since left tkr. Pain 24/7, after 1 year underwent manipulation and removal of scar tissue. At year 2 I am looking at another mannipulation and scar tissue removal. I have lost my flight physical, am unable to fly any more and basically take percocet 10 mg. 2-4 times a day. To be honest, I rue the day I decided to have this tkr. My life is totally ruined as far as my career. Good luck, I hope your luck is better than mine.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
(male)

786Ali HB User

I had a Stryker Triathlon replacment on May 3, 2010 and am doing very well I found that using a exercise bike (recumbent type) is helping me a lot.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
(male)

NMB Resident HB User

Had a right TKR with the Stryker Triathlon 4/2009. It has been the best thing I have ever done!

I had swelling for a little over a year but very little now. It is important to do the therapy, no matter how painful it is. I find a strong correlation between successful TKR's and the commitment to doing the exercises. Working on your ROM is important.

I now walk DOWN stairs without holding on to the railing.

I highly recommend the Stryker knee.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
(male)

heli jockey HB User

NMB Resident, I am totally envious. I visited my surgeon today and he is baffled. He is one of, if not THE best TKR experts in the West. I attribute my problems to my body trying to reject the materials and no way blame my surgeon or the product. A neighbor had the same replacement and was playing golf in 6 months. It has been over 2 years since initial surgery, ROM is 120. Just constant pain. But, I still can walk, have 2 legs, and am coping with the necessary change of careers. No more flying, in management now. Hey, could be this is a blessing in disguise!! Stryker is a great appliance, just this old body does not like it evidently. Take care, keep up the good work.

Last edited by heli jockey; 08-23-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
(male)

NMB Resident HB User

Truly sorry to hear that your still in pain. I know of some others who have not had the success I was able to realize with the TKR. Hang in there! Your positive attitude will pull you through.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
(male)

heli jockey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMB Resident View Post
Truly sorry to hear that your still in pain. I know of some others who have not had the success I was able to realize with the TKR. Hang in there! Your positive attitude will pull you through.
Thanks for the kind words. As an update, I have devoted much of my time to the Wounded Warriors Project and still manage an aviation company. Working with the returning wounded warriors has really made a difference in my life.
When I returned, wounded, from Viet Nam, I became pretty bitter towards our nation and the reactions I received. I swore that would not happen to the young heroes today. Being able to help them has indeed changed my attitudes and makes me grateful for what I have. I have no problems at all, just a little pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to heli jockey For This Useful Post:
Scoobygert (04-11-2012)
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
(male)

NMB Resident HB User

That's fantastic! Thanks for helping our troops. Keep doing your exercises using the bands and you will eventually feel better, I'm sure.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
(female)

stx66 HB User

I am sorry to hear that u lost ur flight status....I honestly know what you r going thru....I thought that when I had my tkr done it would be the last surgery I would have to have,,,major anyway(knowing that i would have too have maintenance done)..had 33 surgeries before this one....since the replacement....I have been manipulated twice...had to have a scope with debridement and then in nov of last year i had to have a revision surgery done to take out the stryker triathlon and put in another kind of tkr...know i am looking at having to get my knee fused or amputated if this one doesnt work.....as of now...5 months out of the second replacement surgery....I can bend about 75-80 degrees on my own...and in therapy I can straighten my knee to about 8 degrees.....but i cant maintain it.....i am back to walking around with it bent all the time at about 20 degrees.....i cant straighten it any lower than 20 degrees....imagine how ur knee is bent to drive or to sit as a passenger in a car....now walk around with it bent that way all the time...as far as meds...i take 90 milligrams of morephine a day on top of taking 100 mg of Lyrica and 10mg of narco...i take 6 pills a day on a decent day and 8 on a really bad day....i average about 7 a day.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
(female)

Merrykaye HB User

Hello everyone. My tkr is two months away (June 18) and I am beginning to get nervous and research more as the time grows closer. My OS did not discuss exactly which type of prosthesis he will be putting in my left knee but DID give me brochures which talk about computer-assisted surgery using the Stryker Navigation System and the Stryker knee implant. Here is my question - how do I find out if one type of implant is better than another? I see your discussion about the Stryker Triathlonknee prosthesis and some of the people posting are saying that they are unhappy with this implant. Should I be researching and shopping the type of implant my doc will be using???

Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrykaye View Post
Hello everyone. My tkr is two months away (June 18) and I am beginning to get nervous and research more as the time grows closer. .. Should I be researching and shopping the type of implant my doc will be using???
How did your TKR go?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
(female)

Merrykaye HB User

Well......I did not get the knee replacement yet....due to problems with my workers' compensation case (I fell at work), I had to re-schedule the surgery (actually this is my fourth re-schedule). My surgery will be on Tuesday, October 16th and Workers' Comp. has finally approved it so as far as I know, I will definitely be moving forward. I have pre-admission tests and a knee class this coming Tuesday (Oct 2).

Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

Sounds good. I had my final meet with my doc today. He is ordering a CPM for me in the hospital, and for a few weeks at home. Per comments on this board I opted to pay for the CyroCuff to keep my knee iced. The thought I wanted to share with you is, I think the surgeon is more important than the knee he or she uses, if you trust the surgeon, if he does a lot of these surgeries, if he uses a computer system for fit guidance... You want him to select the knee he believes will be best for you.

Reply Reply