It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

I suffered a knee injury 13 months ago and after a MRI I was told that my knee was structurally fine, but I had quadriceps tendonitis. However, from what I can find online, the usual recover time is 4-6 weeks for this type of injury, and I'm at 13 *months* now. While I have seen improvements (some fairly dramatic) they have been **extremely** slow and I am no where near ready to continue my normal level of exercise yet.

I guess I was wondering if anyone had a similar lengthy experience with quadriceps tendonitis as my long recovery time is starting to worry me despite what my orthopedic surgeon has told me. Any advice is appreciated. This has been extremely stressful time for me.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lenghty recovery

I should also mention that I am thinking about purchasing a ultrasound machine to help increase blood flow to the area and reduce the likelihood of forming scar tissue. Has anyone found this to be helpful with their tendonitis?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 7
jch2010 HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

I have had quadriceps tendonitis for 14 months now. Tryed complete rest, relative rest, many many pt visits and also a plasma injection. I tape my knee everyday and still no results. My doc also says surgery is not an option. I absolutely cannot believe that an injury considered so minor by doctors cannot be treated. I am to the point now I think I will try to find a doc that will operate because I feel it is my only choice.

 
Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2010 View Post
I have had quadriceps tendonitis for 14 months now. Tryed complete rest, relative rest, many many pt visits and also a plasma injection. I tape my knee everyday and still no results. My doc also says surgery is not an option. I absolutely cannot believe that an injury considered so minor by doctors cannot be treated. I am to the point now I think I will try to find a doc that will operate because I feel it is my only choice.
What was the nature of your injury? What symptoms did you have after the injury and how have they progressed in the 14 months (if they have at all)?

 
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 7
jch2010 HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

It started when I was cycling too much and I tryed to ride through the discomfort. First my knee just felt like it was kind of out of place when I would ride and I had a little soreness above the knee. Slowly the pain grew to a dull ache within a week or two. I have really had close to the same pain for over a year and that is just that dull aching that encompasses much of the top portion of my knee and lower quadricep when I load it. Even though the pain really hasn't changed with the day to day use, now every time I try to get back into cycling or running it takes much less time for it to start hurting a lot more than it ever did when I first developed pain.

 
Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Really? No improvement what-so-ever??

Did you have any swelling? Stiffness? Burning sensation?

Did you get a MRI?

 
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 7
jch2010 HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Unfortunetly there hasn't been hardly any improvement. It does get stiffer if I don't use it for a while but the type of pain is always that achy feeling. I did get an MRI and it showed the inflammation of the tendon right at the knee cap and up a little ways.

 
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

You should try physical therapy and ultrasound treatments. They have seemed to help a little bit on my knee. Although we same to be in a similar situation of lengthy recover with little improvement.

Keep me updated on your progress. I'd like to know if you found any treatments which have worked for you.

 
Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Have
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2010 View Post
Unfortunetly there hasn't been hardly any improvement. It does get stiffer if I don't use it for a while but the type of pain is always that achy feeling. I did get an MRI and it showed the inflammation of the tendon right at the knee cap and up a little ways.
Have you seen any progress in the past month or so?

 
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 7
jch2010 HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

No improvement, but I just got my 2nd MRI yesterday and am waiting for my ortho doc to look at it early in January.

 
Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2010 View Post
No improvement, but I just got my 2nd MRI yesterday and am waiting for my ortho doc to look at it early in January.
Goodluck. I will be heading back to the dr myself soon.

 
Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Any update on your condition? I've been placed on a low dose anti-inflammatory which has helped a little bit.

 
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 7
jch2010 HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmichael View Post
Goodluck. I will be heading back to the dr myself soon.
So the second MRI showed more than the first. Some problems were found in the area right below where the quad tendonitis was. Because of this I got arthroscopy and this area was cleaned up along with a spot on my tibia. Its too early to tell much but my knee feels so much smoother when I move it and I feel like this time I might actually get better. If your still having problems make sure you look into pain in the same area as the quad tendonitis but not actually the tendonitis itself.

 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 15
gmichael HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2010 View Post
So the second MRI showed more than the first. Some problems were found in the area right below where the quad tendonitis was. Because of this I got arthroscopy and this area was cleaned up along with a spot on my tibia. Its too early to tell much but my knee feels so much smoother when I move it and I feel like this time I might actually get better. If your still having problems make sure you look into pain in the same area as the quad tendonitis but not actually the tendonitis itself.
Glad to hear you are doing better! What exactly did they "clean up?"

I'm going back to my doctor in three weeks. Perhaps it's time for my second MRI as I haven't noticed many changes in the past four months.

 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 7
jch2010 HB User
Re: Quadriceps tendonitis lengthy recovery

Part of a cartilage like growth on my tibia was shaved down along with something towards the top of the knee area which I didn't quite understand but I feel that is where the pain was.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Posterior tibial tendonitis ??? momofmmsd5 Foot & Ankle Problems 20 12-17-2011 04:44 AM
Posterior tibial tendonitis archpainWI Foot & Ankle Problems 17 12-29-2010 12:51 PM
Same ole song, rotator cuff tendonitis thesouth1980 Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems 10 07-21-2008 06:36 PM
Peroneal Tendonitis...How long do i give it andrea121 Foot & Ankle Problems 12 04-24-2008 12:59 PM
First Timer (lengthy) MGgator67 Cancer: Prostate 18 01-30-2008 08:50 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!