It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
(female)

starrynights HB User
Medial pain of distal end of femur located near patellar articulation

I am a nursing student and several weeks back (while under the influence of alcohol) I engaged in a wrestling match with a male friend. Needless to say, I lost and was thrown down onto a linoleum floor. I landed on the medial side (inside) of the knee and was noticeably limping for several days. The pain was more intense upon fully straightening the leg (where the knee locks backward), upon standing up after sitting cross-legged, and running. Still, several weeks later, the pain is still there for those three activities. I've noticed that the pain seems to be coming from the medial condyle of my right femur (inside of bone that juts out from the bottom of the femur). If anyone knows what this may be and how to alleviate the pain, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Medial pain of distal end of femur located near patellar articulation

There's a lot of stuff going through that area. Not only do you have the medial condyle, you have the articular cartilage, the medial collateral ligaments, synovial membrane and some small nerves and blood vessels that can be damaged. Any and all of those can be bruised and they just take a long time to heal. Depending on how bent the knee was when you landed, you can actually damage the articular cartilage as you expose the joint weight bearing surface.

Have you checked the bulge sign to see if you have any fluid in the joint?

If there isn't any fluid, it is most likely a bad bruise and will take time. If you do have fluid in the knee, then I'd have it checked to see if you tore the medial meniscus...yes, just landing on that knee that way can tear the meniscus...I did it. Tripped over a case of soda in a grocery store and landed on the inside aspect of my right knee and tore the meniscus. Already had the left medial and lateral meniscii removed so I knew what I had done.

So check for joint fluid. If none, give it more time. If it still hurts after about 3 months then see an ortho.

Jenny(14 knee surgeries and still counting)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
starrynights (11-20-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread